children of bodom is for faggots

open forum for any and all conversations

Moderators: Brian, Metalfreak, MS_39455, AtlantaMetal Staff

ratanda
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by ratanda » Wed April 13th, 2005, 1:17 pm

Mike wrote:
Matt wrote:overall, the main point i am trying to make was already well stated by kurt. COB has taken the place of bands like limp bizkit and mudvayne, it is marketed to the SAME EXACT crowd. a bunch of 14-15 year olds who walk around saying they fucking love "death metal", when none of them have actually ever appreciated or listened to essential death metal albums like scream bloody gore, consuming impulse, seven churchs, altars of madness, or cause of death.
I seriously don't know what you're talking about. COB isn't marketed at all in the US. They're not even on a major label. I have never seen them on TV.
[This is my observation of the marketing, and not the band/music] If it hasn't happened yet, it will just like it did with In Flames. The nu-metal kids are already starting to get into COB, just like they did with In Flames and Cradle of Filth.

COB is marketed in the U.S. Their growing popularity is a direct result of successful marketing and promotion by Century Media and Nuclear Blast USA. Just because they're not on TV and not on a major label doesn't mean they're not being pushed.

Mike
WREKage Staff

Post by Mike » Wed April 13th, 2005, 11:48 pm

ratanda wrote:
Mike wrote:
Matt wrote:overall, the main point i am trying to make was already well stated by kurt. COB has taken the place of bands like limp bizkit and mudvayne, it is marketed to the SAME EXACT crowd. a bunch of 14-15 year olds who walk around saying they fucking love "death metal", when none of them have actually ever appreciated or listened to essential death metal albums like scream bloody gore, consuming impulse, seven churchs, altars of madness, or cause of death.
I seriously don't know what you're talking about. COB isn't marketed at all in the US. They're not even on a major label. I have never seen them on TV.
[This is my observation of the marketing, and not the band/music] If it hasn't happened yet, it will just like it did with In Flames. The nu-metal kids are already starting to get into COB, just like they did with In Flames and Cradle of Filth.

COB is marketed in the U.S. Their growing popularity is a direct result of successful marketing and promotion by Century Media and Nuclear Blast USA. Just because they're not on TV and not on a major label doesn't mean they're not being pushed.
This argument is getting old. All i will add is that even if they are being pushed that isn't something to hold against them. Liking a band and liking their fans are two different things. If you hate Bodom for their music, fine. But to not like them because someone else does is idiotic.

ratanda
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by ratanda » Thu April 14th, 2005, 12:44 pm

Mike wrote:This argument is getting old. All i will add is that even if they are being pushed that isn't something to hold against them. Liking a band and liking their fans are two different things. If you hate Bodom for their music, fine. But to not like them because someone else does is idiotic.
I don't know if that was directed at me or everyone, so I'll go ahead and respond. I never said anything about liking/disliking them due to how much they're being pushed or not pushed. I was pointing out in my last post your incorrect observation that they get no promotion in the USA, regardless of how I feel about them.

Mike
WREKage Staff

Post by Mike » Thu April 14th, 2005, 8:59 pm

ratanda wrote:
Mike wrote:This argument is getting old. All i will add is that even if they are being pushed that isn't something to hold against them. Liking a band and liking their fans are two different things. If you hate Bodom for their music, fine. But to not like them because someone else does is idiotic.
I don't know if that was directed at me or everyone, so I'll go ahead and respond. I never said anything about liking/disliking them due to how much they're being pushed or not pushed. I was pointing out in my last post your incorrect observation that they get no promotion in the USA, regardless of how I feel about them.
No I was speaking in more general terms because a couple of people have stated how bodom sucks because 15 yr. olds or whatever listen to it. I was just trying to close off the issue because it's gotten annoyingly old.
I wasn't trying to start a fight with you. About the promotion, I just think they're still at a much lower level than Slipknot, Korn, System of a down kind of stuff. That is the stuff high school kids go for.

ratanda
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by ratanda » Thu April 14th, 2005, 9:24 pm

Mike wrote:No I was speaking in more general terms because a couple of people have stated how bodom sucks because 15 yr. olds or whatever listen to it. I was just trying to close off the issue because it's gotten annoyingly old.
I wasn't trying to start a fight with you. About the promotion, I just kind of stuff. That is the stuff high school kids go for.
Yeah I didn't think you were trying to start a fight. It's true COB don't get that same level of promotion, but that's because their label doesn't have the as high a level of resources/money that the labels backing the popular numetal bands have.

Mike
WREKage Staff

Post by Mike » Thu April 14th, 2005, 9:56 pm

ratanda wrote:
Mike wrote:No I was speaking in more general terms because a couple of people have stated how bodom sucks because 15 yr. olds or whatever listen to it. I was just trying to close off the issue because it's gotten annoyingly old.
I wasn't trying to start a fight with you. About the promotion, I just kind of stuff. That is the stuff high school kids go for.
Yeah I didn't think you were trying to start a fight. It's true COB don't get that same level of promotion, but that's because their label doesn't have the as high a level of resources/money that the labels backing the popular numetal bands have.
Well, they're most likely moving on from their current label so the mainstream promotion is probably coming.

Matt

Post by Matt » Fri April 15th, 2005, 9:55 am

the mainstream promotion is already there. they are in like every single metal, numetal, pop punk, etc magazine. but once they move on to a bigger label it will be pushed even further. just as it was from the promotion on follow the reaper, compared to the newer stuff. i hate it all, but they still just suck. id rather listen to something of quality, like morbid angel.

i say this all the time but yes, the guitarist of bodom can shred, but shredding and writing great songs are totally different. some of the best music ever written doesnt involve shredding at all.

Asrynth

Post by Asrynth » Fri April 15th, 2005, 3:54 pm

Since when is Century Media Not a big Label? Probobly one of the more prominant metal labels.

Fn Dan

Post by Fn Dan » Fri April 15th, 2005, 7:29 pm

Children of Bodom are actually on Spinefarm Records. CoB is simply licensed to CM for US distribution, as is my understanding. I think CoB's deal is up as well, and the word is that they may be heading for a new label.

Asrynth

Post by Asrynth » Fri April 15th, 2005, 9:03 pm

Fn Dan wrote:Children of Bodom are actually on Spinefarm Records. CoB is simply licensed to CM for US distribution, as is my understanding. I think CoB's deal is up as well, and the word is that they may be heading for a new label.

Interesting, My mistake, I wasn't aware.

BlazeTSU
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by BlazeTSU » Fri April 15th, 2005, 9:58 pm

Matt wrote:the mainstream promotion is already there. they are in like every single metal, numetal, pop punk, etc magazine. but once they move on to a bigger label it will be pushed even further. just as it was from the promotion on follow the reaper, compared to the newer stuff. i hate it all, but they still just suck. id rather listen to something of quality, like morbid angel.

i say this all the time but yes, the guitarist of bodom can shred, but shredding and writing great songs are totally different. some of the best music ever written doesnt involve shredding at all.
i agree 100% with all of this

ratanda
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by ratanda » Fri April 15th, 2005, 10:56 pm

Asrynth wrote:Since when is Century Media Not a big Label? Probobly one of the more prominant metal labels.
That's true, but when you look at the whole industry, Century Media is in reality a little indy label compared to labels like Sony and Elektra. They're big in metal, but that's where it stops.

Zane

Post by Zane » Sat April 16th, 2005, 8:07 pm

[ why don't we drop this garbage and listen to the music each one of us want to listen to? i don't know a thing about COB except for that i've heard them on wrekage for years...........so i know that they have paid some dues. i know that the guitarist can shred his brians out and that they aren't worth us bitchin about'em for a week and attacking each other.[/quote]

This has been the best point made in a week. I listen to what I want to. Peroid.