DAVID WAYNE DEAD

open forum for any and all conversations

Moderators: Brian, Metalfreak, MS_39455, AtlantaMetal Staff

westgametalhead

DAVID WAYNE DEAD

Post by westgametalhead » Tue May 10th, 2005, 10:45 pm

Original METAL CHURCH frontman David Wayne has passed away. According to the webmaster of the David Wayne's Metal Church web site, "we are unclear as to actually what happened. We are putting together an official press release and will post that out as soon as we get it done."

Wayne sang on METAL CHURCH's first two classic offerings (1984's "Metal Church" and 1986's "The Dark") before leaving the group and being replaced by Mike Howe. Wayne subsequently teamed up with members of HERETIC members to form REVEREND, with whom he released two full-length albums and a couple of EPs. He eventually rejoined METAL CHURCH in time for the 1999 reunion album, "Masterpeace". A "solo" album (under the WAYNE banner), entitled "Metal Church" followed in 2001.

I GOT THIS FROM BLABBERMOUTH.NET

VERY VERY SAD LOSS

BoB

Post by BoB » Tue May 10th, 2005, 10:57 pm

Wow that's a bummer. Metal Church was a really cool band in their day.

update to cause of death: complications due to injuries from a head on auto accident a few months ago...

Greg
WREKage Staff

Post by Greg » Wed May 11th, 2005, 11:35 am

Wow... and I played some Wayne-era Metal Church last friday too...

The self-titled Metal Church album is one of my favorite albums of all the vinyl we have at the studio, guess I'll have to dust it off again this week.

Zane

Post by Zane » Wed May 11th, 2005, 5:14 pm

This really bums me out. They were a big influence to me. Too many heroes are dying...

DarkWolfen

Post by DarkWolfen » Thu May 12th, 2005, 3:50 am

Is there going to be a tribute to him on friday's show like the one that was done for Dirtbag Darrell?

Greg
WREKage Staff

Post by Greg » Thu May 12th, 2005, 8:00 pm

I doubt it, unless we get about 50 phone calls for Metal Church requests like we got for Pantera when DD died. I'm sure we'll play a song or two from them and talk about it each time.

The Darrell show had more to do with how he died I think. People were in just such a state of shock, I doubt that's the case here.

Another interesting fact about the Darrell show - every single request we got that night was for Pantera, and not a single one was for Damageplan.

BoB

Post by BoB » Thu May 12th, 2005, 9:12 pm

Greg wrote:I doubt it, unless we get about 50 phone calls for Metal Church requests like we got for Pantera when DD died. I'm sure we'll play a song or two from them and talk about it each time.

The Darrell show had more to do with how he died I think. People were in just such a state of shock, I doubt that's the case here.

Another interesting fact about the Darrell show - every single request we got that night was for Pantera, and not a single one was for Damageplan.
OK, I'll bite. If for no other reason than your comparison - Pantera started out glam posers for 10 years while Metal Church were not just pure metal heads but fucking metal pioneers. The first two Metal Church albums, the ones with Wayne on vocals, are still really good albums - you said so yourself - 21 years later.

Sure, Diamond Darrell's demise was a tragedy but so is David Wayne's. Is getting hit by a bullet somehow more nobel than getting hit by a car??

Interesting note about Pantera/Damageplan requests. I'll be requesting Metal Church but probably not any Reverend or Wayne.

Greg
WREKage Staff

Post by Greg » Thu May 12th, 2005, 11:12 pm

Not more noble, but definitely more shocking. There was just such a strangeness to the whole Dimebag situation that the show that came that friday was more an anomaly than a planned "tribute" of any kind. If it hadn't been him getting gunned down onstage and him dying of a car accident or something then I doubt we'd have all reacted the way we did that night.

I think that's why the Dimebag show happened the way it did - people were just so stunned by what took place that we kinda felt that kind of a response was needed based on all the phone calls we were getting, for us to overload on Pantera for the night. Complete strangers were pouring their hearts out to us over the phone about how much they loved Pantera and Dime, all I'm saying is I doubt we're gonna get that same kind of response to Wayne's passing.

I agree that Metal Church's stuff is still good and will have no problem with anyone playing the hell out of it this friday, I'm just saying that the set of cirumstances surrounding Darrell's murder and Wayne's dying from a car accident are two completely different things, and two completely different shows will probably be the end result.

BoB

Post by BoB » Fri May 13th, 2005, 8:37 am

Yeah I know exactly what you're saying. I'm just complaining because in PerfectWorld any unexpected death would be equally bad and the guy who was a trendy poser would get the smaller tribute. I could rant about sheep being led by the media (and then ironically leading more media[you guys]) but I won't...

Bottom line is David Wayne and Metal Church contributed greatly to the foundation of metal music. Thanks and so long.

Greg
WREKage Staff

Post by Greg » Fri May 13th, 2005, 5:22 pm

I agree with that wholeheartedly, but for all the poser-ness he might have had Dimebag was an icon in the metal world for several years too, whether you like Pantera's music or not they were a huge influence and inspiration to a lot of people and a lot of current bands just like Metal Church was back in their day.

My guess is Dimebag got the reaction he did because he got murdered and thus never really had a chance to get old and get forgotten like Wayne did. Likewise, very few people even know about the Glamtera years, so in their minds he was a guitar hero robbed in his prime and thus will always be remembered like that, kinda like when JFK got shot. I realize that's a terrible comparison in terms of the magnitude of their two lives they lived, but you get the analogy. People like you and I know who Wayne was and what he was all about, but the combination of Dimebag being more well known and more sensationalized got the reaction he did.

In fact I'll be honest, I had no idea who he (Wayne) was before I started with Wrekage, but I'm a much better metalhead for it now. Unfortunately we can't make people care as much about the old stuff, all we can do is play it and honor it by doing that.

BlazeTSU
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by BlazeTSU » Sat May 14th, 2005, 1:51 pm

bob just has nothing but love for dimebag! he never stops singing the praises of our fallen diamond hero. its strange that a straight man would ever have such an infatuation with another male!!!!!! :wink:

honestly, 10 years of glam can't tarnish what pantera did for american metal! everyone goes through changes, i think its obvious that they didn't "sell out" when they put out cowboys from hell or anything. the world works like that for most of us. when you try being something that you not you usually fail......thus pantera failing at the glam which lead to getting pissed off and making what was truley in their hearts which lead to huge success much in the way metallica did........underground.

now, don't get me wrong, i'm not taking anything away from david wayne's death. it is just as tragic as dimebags death b/c he is gone. but as far as the fans go, pantera is rightfully seen as a band that revived metal in america. i've known of metal church since i was a kid, much longer than i've known about pantera and i still couldn't name 4 songs by metal church. i could name 20 pantera songs though and i'd assume that is the way most people are. so i completely understand a larger "tribute show" to dimebag than for david wayne.

Zane

Post by Zane » Sun May 15th, 2005, 5:08 pm

I personally like the glam era Pantera a lot more than anything that came after Vulgar Display. I think the earlier stuff was really raw and honest. After Vulgar, I felt they were pandering to the hardcore and death metal scenes a bit much. But who cares, I liked Metal Church way more.....

BlazeTSU
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by BlazeTSU » Sun May 15th, 2005, 5:55 pm

i think that pantera dabblings into the more extreme sides of metal was probably all due to phil anselmo who has always been really into death and black metal.

one thing that can be said about pantera throughout the glam and the after glam phases is that vinnie and dimebag had an unmistakeble sound. even if you'd never heard the glamtera and you had been listening to the known pantera you'd still recognize that sound. not many bands have pulled that off.

BoB

Post by BoB » Sun May 15th, 2005, 10:25 pm

fwiw: it's Diamond Darrell.
Arguably pantera's best material was Cowboys & Vulgar... at least that's what got them the most exposure. the name on the liner is "Diamond Darrell". Dimebag came on the scene post VDoP, which I agree w/ Zane, was some lame sell out crap. So they went from glam, to mimicking Exhorder, then off to some hardcore type shit. As W would say "nobody likes a flip flopper"... (I can't believe I'm quoting W). One of the best concerts I every went to was panter & Wrathchild America @ Centerstage (Earthlink live) - cowboys tour. very fun show. but still, fuck pantera.

Metal Church rules.

Chris Masochist

Post by Chris Masochist » Mon May 16th, 2005, 11:57 am

bobnoxious wrote:

fuck pantera.

Metal Church rules.

False 8)