Maryland Deathfest 2013

post your opinions about shows. A full event calendar is available.

Moderators: Brian, Metalfreak, MS_39455, AtlantaMetal Staff

MS_39455
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by MS_39455 » Mon May 27th, 2013, 12:43 pm

Brian wrote:
Knucklehead wrote:Deiphago was indistinct, low-frequency rumble. And not in a good way.
I heard the vocalist of Blasphemy came out at the end...
You heard right. Blasphemy does Blasphemy again this year. And Revenge completely destroyed all others this weekend. Killer line up overall again though.

edit: ...apparently not a current Blasphemy member, but the Necroholocaust bass player (sessioned for Blasphemy I believe)
Last edited by MS_39455 on Tue May 28th, 2013, 8:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

Azrael

Post by Azrael » Mon May 27th, 2013, 12:53 pm

Amazing time. Best bands imo: Revenge, Tragedy, Repulsion, Carcass, Sleep, Vinterland, Midnight, Venom, Anhedonist I'm blanking on more

midnight325

Post by midnight325 » Mon May 27th, 2013, 5:32 pm

how was mfing Pentagram? Heard they got cut off early because of Venom's slot, then Venom decided to be idiots and go up 15 minutes late. I would have been piiiissed

Azrael

Post by Azrael » Mon May 27th, 2013, 5:34 pm

midnight325 wrote:how was mfing Pentagram? Heard they got cut off early because of Venom's slot, then Venom decided to be idiots and go up 15 minutes late. I would have been piiiissed
. Sleep running late made it happen. Pentagram was all bass and I fear Liebling is slipping away. It was meh at best

Generubin

Post by Generubin » Mon May 27th, 2013, 10:19 pm

Azrael wrote:
midnight325 wrote:how was mfing Pentagram? Heard they got cut off early because of Venom's slot, then Venom decided to be idiots and go up 15 minutes late. I would have been piiiissed
. Sleep running late made it happen. Pentagram was all bass and I fear Liebling is slipping away. It was meh at best
nooo drugs, no bueno
BlackRoija wrote:Cut your hair and worship Jesus

Knucklehead

Post by Knucklehead » Mon May 27th, 2013, 10:25 pm

Best bands for me:

Cobalt
Bolt Thrower
Ingrowing
Anhedonist
Vinterland
Aosoth
Revenge
Antaeus
Cruciamentum
Midnight
Speedwolf. I caught Speedwolf's second set, thanks to a text from Todd. They were playing at the same time as Sleep. Commenting on playing across the way from them, Reed: "speed versus weed".

Generubin

Post by Generubin » Mon May 27th, 2013, 11:03 pm

No Swanfart

Thrashmania

Post by Thrashmania » Tue May 28th, 2013, 12:27 am

Saw a bum drop a dookie infront of a hospital on the way to the B&O Museum. That ruled.

Bolt Thrower, of course, ruled.
Saw the first half of Revenge, then went to catch the second half of Ihsahn...regretted not staying for all of Revenge.
Pentagram was a huge let down, luckily I've seen 'em a few times before.
Sacred Reich. Look at my username and then just assume what my response is to them.

Another great weekend. As our Aussie buddy Helen said, we're already one day closer to MDF 2014!

Thrashmania

Post by Thrashmania » Tue May 28th, 2013, 12:30 am

Oh, and fucking Evoken, goddamn!

Edit: Oh, and fucking Convulse, goddamn!

Edit Edit: Oh, and fucking Cruciamentum, goddamn!

JägerWolf

Post by JägerWolf » Tue May 28th, 2013, 1:27 am

Highlights:

Abigail, BOLT THROWER, Convulse, Benediction, Repulsion, CARCASS, Tragedy, Kommandant, Iniquity, Vinterland, Revenge, Midnight, Pagan Altar, Sacred Reich, MANILLA ROAD, Speedwolf, Pentagram, VENOM.

I missed Deiphigo because I was dead tired from travelling and decided to nap. I caught Abigail after their three songs into the set. Bolt Thrower crushed the thursday event. They fucking played Warmaster, World-Eater and IVth Crusade. The show was EXACTLY how I was picturing Bolt Thrower was gonna be like.

Convulse was cool, Benediction was good. Repulsion ruled! The drumming was just awesome. They covered Venom's Schizo. And I gotta say, Carcass show was ALOT better than the show they played in ATL five years ago even when Amott is not in the band today.

[EDIT:] Caught Tragedy at the Soundstage. All I could say is, $20 well spent just to see them only.

Saturday wasnt pretty much. I caught the first few minutes of Kommandant. The drumming sound was really cool. Of course, the guitarist decided to abruptly leave almost at the end of their set, causing the whole band to leave the set despite they had a few songs left. Iniquity was Great. Though I was disappointed they said they are ignoring the Grime album "out of respect for our new members." Vinterland ruled, like what Alyssa says, they were really like older Dissection. Revenge was just war. Im still wondering if the drummer is a witch or has hydrolics in his system, because his drumming was purely inhuman! Super fast for a big old man. Then they Surprised us covering Bathory's Equimanthorn.

I missed the first Speedwolf set due to bullshit long ass line for people WITH passes (while the people with Sunday only tix line is super short). Fortunately, MDF was kind enough to let them play again during Sleep so I can forget the burden. Reed Wolf be like "Sleep.... versus ME!" (or was it what Knucklehead said?). then kick starts Speedwolf song. Midnight kicked serious ass! Giving us Rip This Hell, You Cant Stop Steel, and All Hail Hell. I got a faceful of Witchbutt when Endless Slut played. Pagan Altar was just total uplifting. Singing Samhain, Lords of Hypocrisy, and Judgement of the Dead. Of course, I want to put my boot up the PA Operator's ass for screwing up Alan's (or was it Vince's?) guitar soloing. Sacred Reich was REALLY heavy. One Nation, Love... Hate, Ignorance and such. And yes, Black Sabbath cover Warpigs. Manilla Road was killer! And it seems like they decided not to play slow songs like Crystal Logic, Courts of Chaos, and Mystification. So they played faster, Headbanging inciting tunes like Road of Kings, Stand your Ground, and Flaming Metal System. I missed the first half of Pentagram because I had to make a quick run back to drop off the spoils to the hotel room. Yea, they were cut short, but they were granted to sing Sign of the Wolf.

Venom was indeed Legendary live. It fucking sucks that the city ordinance decided to move the noise curfew from 12am to 11pm from what I read. It pissed me off especially when they cut off Warhead short. But looking at the Setlist here, it looked like they merged songs together to cram as much as they can for a short timeslot. http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/venom/201 ... 9a579.html

Though it sucks for I was expecting Teacher's Pet and Witching Hour. Ah well, at least they played the usual song highlights (Black Metal, Welcome To Hell, Antechrist). I guess having some Venom is better than no Venom at all. But fucking dammit at least let them finish Warhead!

Generubin

Post by Generubin » Tue May 28th, 2013, 2:04 pm

"Woah dude, what happened to you this weekend you look like you got into a bar fight"

"I fell off a horse"

Diana

Post by Diana » Tue May 28th, 2013, 3:30 pm

Hooray for JägerWolf's recap!! And now I have "Teacher's Pet" stuck in my head.

Wow, fuck the city and their random ordinances. That is straight bullshit.

easnoddy

Post by easnoddy » Wed May 29th, 2013, 2:59 pm

Didn't Iniquity say it was their last show? They were..."off" a bit.

Broken Hope were very tight for their Ape-ish Slam Gore Metal. Very well played.

I would like to anti-complain about a couple accidents that lead to great things. One is the fact Vinterland were pushed to Saturday night for some reason, which means they got to play opposite Down, who I would have otherwise had to watch because there were no other options. Not my thing. IMO basically any time there is stoner/doom metal playing I think the fest should have an extreme or "death" metal (at a "death fest") alternate playing at the same time. The other was Speedwolf playing a 2nd set while Sleep was playing. Same reason as before with Down/Vinterland.

I wish Cruciamentum would have gotten the same courtesy as Speedwolf.

MS_39455
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by MS_39455 » Wed May 29th, 2013, 5:20 pm

Took a moment today to do a mental headcount of how many Atlanta folks attended this year. Absolutely positive that at least 28 were there (might be forgetting one or two). Not bad considering how many regulars didn't attend this year.

AmoebicDysentery

Post by AmoebicDysentery » Wed May 29th, 2013, 6:08 pm

Don't lump Broken Hope in with no slam bullshit. They should have had a Joe Ptacek hologram.

It's insane to think about how big this festival has gotten. Good for those guys for building it up and keeping it going, but if you told me 10 years ago that this thing would block city streets, 6000 people would attend, it'd take an hour to re-enter the damn thing, and bands like Pelican would play...I'd call you crazy. I went the first 5 years of the fest and I don't believe there was a single band with intelligible vocals any of those years.