Besides metal what else do you like?

open forum for any and all conversations

Moderators: Brian, Metalfreak, MS_39455, AtlantaMetal Staff

DarkWolfen

Post by DarkWolfen » Sun July 18th, 2004, 11:05 am

I was curious as to what other WREKage fans music like beside metal. Hell I heard someone the other night request Linkin Park, though I am not a fan, I see there are other people about other things than WREKage metal. For me, I have been a fan of some country acts for a few years now. :ph34r: Yeah some of the shit is cheesy or whatever, but there's some really talented bands out there. Hell that shouldn't surprise anyone this in the south, but what I would be surprised at is, if someone that likes WREKage likes rap music too. On the span of music, they are completely opposite. :m0nk3yp33: :lol:

Greg
WREKage Staff

Post by Greg » Sun July 18th, 2004, 5:09 pm

I like any music that's good. Some rap (WU TANG CLAN AINT NOTHIN TA FUCK WITH! I own a lot of their solo albums amd side project stuff), some rock (space-rock/abstract stuff mostly a la Radiohead and current Anathema), some techno-ish stuff, some of everything pretty much.

I can't stand country though... it's all I ever heard growing up and I guess I'm ruined on it for now on because of that. I can't stand pretty much anything on the radio for that matter, except of course for WREKage.

I'd also like to point out how closely linked heavy metal and classical music are. A lot of black metal bands write numbers that are very classically oriented and could be turned into symphonic pieces with very little trouble, and there is a lot of classical music that have very fast and heavy numbers that are downright metal in my opinion.

TheKshatriya

Post by TheKshatriya » Sun July 18th, 2004, 8:01 pm

Classical, Neoclassical, hardcore and some punk, blue grass and some country/western or fingerpicking artists like Chet Atkins, and a lot of world music like traditional scottish, indian, spanish blah blah blah, and some jazz.

People always look at me like im crazy when i say metal and classical arnt that far apart. Any kind of melody over a progression (guitar solos), counter points, and various other things. And when i explain that to people they look at me still like im an idiot and have no idea what im talking about...or maybe they just dont understand haha. Oh well but Classical and Metal are real close to my top favorite.

Iv been thinking about taking The Firebird Suite, 1919 Revision: Infernal Dance Of King Kashchei from Stavinsky and making it a metal song, or putting it in the instrumental Kshatriya is writing. It is going so sound so awesome it if ever happens.

DarkWolfen

Post by DarkWolfen » Sun July 18th, 2004, 8:17 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Greg+Jul 18 2004, 05:08 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Greg @ Jul 18 2004, 05:08 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I like any music that's good. Some rap (WU TANG CLAN AINT NOTHIN TA FUCK WITH! I own a lot of their solo albums amd side project stuff), some rock (space-rock/abstract stuff mostly a la Radiohead and current Anathema), some techno-ish stuff, some of everything pretty much.

I can't stand country though... it's all I ever heard growing up and I guess I'm ruined on it for now on because of that. I can't stand pretty much anything on the radio for that matter, except of course for WREKage.

I'd also like to point out how closely linked heavy metal and classical music are. A lot of black metal bands write numbers that are very classically oriented and could be turned into symphonic pieces with very little trouble, and there is a lot of classical music that have very fast and heavy numbers that are downright metal in my opinion. [/quote]
You have a point, Greg alot of black metal has alot of classical inspiration. My Dying Bride, for one, has classical interludes and when Martin was still in the band, some of the songs sounded pretty damn classical in some parts. It was classical with the growls. :m3t4l: :)

BoB

Post by BoB » Sun July 18th, 2004, 10:31 pm

I like a lot of fusion (think hip 70s shit), funk (say Bootsy!), jazz and Chicago-style blues. I think jazz and metal have commonality with a lot of improv, solo'ing, etc - more musician-centric. I seriously think classical is for psycho-paths. The WREK atmospherics (weekdays after midnight) is pretty cool too. Stuff like Devo fucking rocks! (no, not WhipIt) I also like a lot of old punk - stuff like Fear rules. And speaking of Fear, Lee Ving, the lead singer, in addition to doing acting skits as an A-Team villan also went on to do country music. I like lots of other styles too but those are probably my primary non-metal likes.

DarkWolfen

Post by DarkWolfen » Mon July 19th, 2004, 6:46 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-bob+Jul 18 2004, 10:31 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bob @ Jul 18 2004, 10:31 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I like a lot of fusion (think hip 70s shit), funk (say Bootsy!), jazz and Chicago-style blues. I think jazz and metal have commonality with a lot of improv, solo'ing, etc - more musician-centric. I seriously think classical is for psycho-paths. The WREK atmospherics (weekdays after midnight) is pretty cool too. Stuff like Devo fucking rocks! (no, not WhipIt) I also like a lot of old punk - stuff like Fear rules. And speaking of Fear, Lee Ving, the lead singer, in addition to doing acting skits as an A-Team villan also went on to do country music. I like lots of other styles too but those are probably my primary non-metal likes. [/quote]
I remember you liking King Crimson in the past too. They were really good in the first 2 albums. Pioneers of prog. :b0unc3y:

bid

Post by bid » Mon July 19th, 2004, 9:52 pm

I really love stuff that combines more than 1 genre together.. or may be the old with the new. I also long Classical stuff. I love Bangla music and once in a while i also listen to Trance and R&B.
bidyut

BoB

Post by BoB » Mon July 19th, 2004, 10:31 pm

I remember you liking King Crimson in the past too. They were really good in the first 2 albums. Pioneers of prog.&nbsp; :b0unc3y:&nbsp;
Yeah! King Crimson is pretty awesome. Their new stuff is really cool and worth checking out. Albums like Thrak (Thrakattak) and Vroom. They have some heavy, weird tunes - all very good musicians refusing to go mainstream.

DarkWolfen

Post by DarkWolfen » Tue July 20th, 2004, 1:15 am

<!--QuoteBegin-bob+Jul 19 2004, 10:31 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bob @ Jul 19 2004, 10:31 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->
I remember you liking King Crimson in the past too. They were really good in the first 2 albums. Pioneers of prog. &nbsp; :b0unc3y:
Yeah! King Crimson is pretty awesome. Their new stuff is really cool and worth checking out. Albums like Thrak (Thrakattak) and Vroom. They have some heavy, weird tunes - all very good musicians refusing to go mainstream. [/quote]
Yeah maybe now they aren't going mainstream, but they changed in the mid 70's when all the progressive bands went to jazz. Emerson Lake and Palmer did the same thing, or lead the pack, I don't know.

WuDi, w/o competition

Post by WuDi, w/o competition » Tue July 20th, 2004, 8:57 am

I like a lot of industrial. Rigid, non-yielding beats like that, with synths and keys playing weird soundscapes all layered over each other...Velvet Acid Christ, for a perfect example. I don't really like country, although my fiancee forces it on me a lot of the time. I do, however, like most styles of the blues, from blues-rock in the 60s and 70s, to Delta and Chicago-style blues coming out of the 20s, 30s, and 40s. :sm0k3:

BlazeTSU
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by BlazeTSU » Tue July 20th, 2004, 11:27 am

i'm really into a lot of old, tough, take no prisoners country stuff like johnny cash, merle haggard, willie nelson and even some george jones. and i love 16 horsepower, they are super tough, super dark country-bluegrass stuff that everyone should listen to. i'm also into REAL rock & roll....not the emo bs that is called rock now. stuff like g'n'r, ac/dc, the misfits, alice in chains, aerosmith, lynrd skynrd, allman bro's....etc.....etc.....

Metalfreak

Post by Metalfreak » Tue July 27th, 2004, 3:48 pm

I love the music I grew up to...Classic rock! I also like oldies, 90's alternative rock and some of the new stuff. for rap, I like Outkast and for country, I like Garth Brooks...that's it for those 2 genres though. and the rest is metal!
They had you do a drug test and the forgot to test for drugs???

DarkWolfen

Post by DarkWolfen » Wed July 28th, 2004, 7:58 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-BlazeTSU+Jul 20 2004, 11:27 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (BlazeTSU @ Jul 20 2004, 11:27 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> i'm really into a lot of old, tough, take no prisoners country stuff like johnny cash, merle haggard, willie nelson and even some george jones. and i love 16 horsepower, they are super tough, super dark country-bluegrass stuff that everyone should listen to. [/quote]
Yeah the outlaw country had alot of attitude that told people in a forceful way that they didn't give a shit without actually saying it.

I can only add one to that list.

The late and great Waylon Jennings. :ch33rs:

Fn Dan

Post by Fn Dan » Wed July 28th, 2004, 8:55 pm

I can't believe you guys talked about "Outlaw Country" without mentioning David Allan Coe. Now that guy is an outlaw badass! :m3t4l:

DarkWolfen

Post by DarkWolfen » Wed July 28th, 2004, 9:06 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Fn Dan+Jul 28 2004, 08:54 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Fn Dan &#064; Jul 28 2004, 08:54 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I can't believe you talk about "Outlaw Country" without mentioned David Allan Coe.&nbsp; Now that guy is an outlaw badass!&nbsp; :m3t4l: [/quote]
Yeah thats true, I forgot about him. How could I forget him, my cousin was killed on the road driving home from his concert in 2000. :( :( :( Besides Willie Waylon and Me and You Never Even Call Me By My Name, what other songs does he really have? :sm0k3: