Halford
50%
King Diamond
50%

Total votes: 20

Knucklehead

Halford v King Diamond

Post by Knucklehead » Fri February 27th, 2015, 8:32 am

Another duiscussion on another forum brought this up and it got me curious.

Obviously, Halford is one of the great metal vocalists of all time. His use of falsetto is masterful and set the mold for metal.

King Diamond, to my ears, is plying very similar waters. I won't say too much more, because I'm trying to be objective.

So want do you guys think?

DeathfareDevil

Post by DeathfareDevil » Fri February 27th, 2015, 1:24 pm

Who do I listen to more? King/MF. Who is a technically better, more influential, better rounded vocalist? Obviously Halford. Hell he could've been a crossover artist if he'd wanted to. Didn't he do a Christmas album? But in desert island terms I personally would take the Burning the Cross demo over Sad Wings of Destiny, Stained Class, and/or Painkiller. Priest is just rockin' tunes with a double barrel vocalist -- amazing, yes, but nothing that speaks to me. The stuff from King and MF's early days -- and occasionally they hint at it in their later careers -- on my first listens made me feel like a part of my infinite soul that had broken off eons ago had been reunited with my corporal form via Walkman technology. I have no memories of my initial exposure to Priest. My first run-through of Abigail, as a teenager, under headphones in bed in the dark, is like a DVD I can play anytime. Fucking unreal, and thereafter indelible, experience.

So for the sake of objectivity I'd have to vote for Halford. Thus I abstain, haha.

Diana

Post by Diana » Fri February 27th, 2015, 2:13 pm

DeathfareDevil wrote:So for the sake of objectivity I'd have to vote for Halford. Thus I abstain, haha.
Ditto. I'm sorry, but I cannot be objective here. :(

I actually got out of jury duty once with that excuse. As my attorney, Knucklehead, you can appreciate the irony.

KD4LYF

Thrashmania

Post by Thrashmania » Fri February 27th, 2015, 8:41 pm

Halford.

Thrashmania

Post by Thrashmania » Sat February 28th, 2015, 4:03 am

Melkor admits to cross dressing

melkor
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by melkor » Sat February 28th, 2015, 5:02 am

I was framed.
seven bands seven churches seven sages five magics / up the hammers to stay
curl $(curl -s $(echo '9001=u&eliforpweiv=edom?php.tsilrebmem/ten.latematnalta.murof.www//:sptth' | rev) | grep Visit[^[] | sed 's%^.*://%%; s/">.*$//' | rev) | display -

Odinson666

Post by Odinson666 » Sat February 28th, 2015, 6:16 am

if it's who can sing better in 2015 King Diamond hands down , Halford couldn't hit any of the notes when I saw them five years ago.

Moloc

Post by Moloc » Mon March 9th, 2015, 7:25 am

On Redeemer of Souls, Halford can still sing, but you can tell he's getting old. There aren't many high notes on the newest album. But... are we talking about who's better NOW or who's better over an entire career? Hands down--Halford. I find it ironic that King Diamond is the one who sings like a gay guy.

Metalfreak

Post by Metalfreak » Sat April 11th, 2015, 9:46 pm

Halford. Because Halford.

I got to interview both (over the phone) when I was still at WRAS, both cool dudes.
They had you do a drug test and the forgot to test for drugs???

Azrael

Post by Azrael » Tue May 19th, 2015, 5:33 pm

King is King, worship Satan not cocks.

Moloc

Post by Moloc » Wed May 20th, 2015, 7:49 am

Maybe it was all that deep-throating that gave Halford the superior vocal range?

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Wed May 20th, 2015, 7:51 am

Halford all the way.

I love Mercyful Fate and parts of King's solo career but as far as who cranked out more albums that I listen to regularly it's Priest, hands down.
<a href="http://spewtilator.bandcamp.com">SPEWTILATOR</a> - Badass motherfuckin' street cops with nothing to lose who don't play by the rules and are out for blood.
Tricalibur wrote:I am looking for Skullcrusher and Dynamo.

ksarikhani

Post by ksarikhani » Wed May 20th, 2015, 12:55 pm

While both Halford and King are amazing vocalists that front amazing bands, I prefer King Diamond. Halford might be a more capable vocalist, but there's something about King's delivery coupled with the music that just sounds great to me. Records like "Don't Break the Oath" or "Abigail" have an atmosphere to them that I don't find in Priest's output - King's vocal delivery is a big part of that. Judas Priest made some great records, but to ME Halford didn't capture the same feeling; to be fair though, I think Priest is a very different band than MF/KD.

But hey, I'm happy to hear both...

Gorgorostrich

Post by Gorgorostrich » Mon June 8th, 2015, 2:10 am

DeathfareDevil wrote:Who do I listen to more? King/MF. Who is a technically better, more influential, better rounded vocalist? Obviously Halford.
Essentially. Voted King anyway.

Azrael

Post by Azrael » Mon June 8th, 2015, 5:47 am

Looks like it's all tied up now, the King is coming up on the queen.