Novum Organum New Atlanta Band Making quite a name ......

discussions about Atlanta metal bands

Moderators: Brian, Metalfreak, MS_39455, AtlantaMetal Staff

EdgeofSAnity

Novum Organum New Atlanta Band Making quite a name ......

Post by EdgeofSAnity » Sun July 23rd, 2006, 9:52 am

This is Instrumental Metal at its finest very similar to Early Opeth

Probably one of the better if not the best Local band doing live music right now.

They've only been together a little over 5 months and have now played 2 shows and already created quite the buzz.

If you havent checked them out

id suggest you do.

www.myspace.com/NovumOrganum

donny

Post by donny » Mon July 24th, 2006, 11:52 am

kinda of bland . nowhere near the best local act in atlanta . are you in the band or a girlfriend of one of the members?

AmoebicDysentery

Post by AmoebicDysentery » Mon July 24th, 2006, 2:18 pm

I was at the breakers show. I heard this band, but didn't actually see them cause I was waiting at the bar for a burger their whole set (i was damn hungry). Not bad, though.

BoB

Post by BoB » Mon July 24th, 2006, 3:21 pm

I like it. My only gripe would be that it sounds a little too much like opeth.

EdgeofSAnity

Post by EdgeofSAnity » Mon July 24th, 2006, 5:13 pm

hahah no im not in the band
trust me they arent that desperate for attention
one of the guitar players is in Canvas Solaris out of statesboro georgia as well
Just some talented guys
i thought you guys might want to check out .

NeuroNomicon

They're definitely good...

Post by NeuroNomicon » Mon July 24th, 2006, 5:39 pm

...they're pretty damned good, and they definitely know their instruments. The songwriting is choice, and the production is ace. Nice tunes.

ProstheticHead12

Post by ProstheticHead12 » Mon July 24th, 2006, 6:17 pm

EdgeofSAnity wrote:hahah no im not in the band
trust me they arent that desperate for attention
one of the guitar players is in Canvas Solaris out of statesboro georgia as well
Just some talented guys
i thought you guys might want to check out .
Canvas Solaris is awesome. Now if only myspace would quit sucking and I could listen to Novum Organum as well.
Fuck it, Dude, let's go bowling.

donny

Post by donny » Mon July 24th, 2006, 7:44 pm

BoB wrote:I like it. My only gripe would be that it sounds a little too much like opeth.
Thats why i didnt totally dig it . I keep thinking how much this was like opeth . not bad . But i didnt think its the best thing on the scene . Withered would slay them with axes of fire

EdgeofSAnity

Post by EdgeofSAnity » Mon July 24th, 2006, 8:32 pm

I saw withered in athens when they played with behold the arctopus and a few others. i wasnt impressed at all. .. apparently they were supposed to play with Novum Organum saturday night but they didnt show .

NeuroNomicon

To take a side...

Post by NeuroNomicon » Tue July 25th, 2006, 5:50 am

...EdgeofSanity is correct. Withered brings some rock, but the lads in Novum are top-tier musicians. The Opeth comparisons are a good thing; look at how long it took Opeth to come into their own. Morningrise and Blackwater Park are two totally different levels of playing, songwriting, etc. These guys are already on a level of musicianship that is world-class. The songwriting is great, the production is great, and the playing is flawless.

This is merely telling of the problem with the Atlanta "scene". A new band comes along, and they get ripped apart. These guys are good, and on a level unmatched by anyone around here for their style of metal. The Withered comparison is pretty unfair, as they are comprised of two totally different styles of metal. Hopefully bands like Novum Organum can act as representatives or ambassadors of "Atlanta Metal".

Look who's representing us now on an external perspective...There won't be any naming of bands, but everyone here knows who the false ones are...

ProstheticHead12

Re: To take a side...

Post by ProstheticHead12 » Tue July 25th, 2006, 6:29 am

NeuroNomicon wrote:...EdgeofSanity is correct. Withered brings some rock, but the lads in Novum are top-tier musicians. The Opeth comparisons are a good thing; look at how long it took Opeth to come into their own. Morningrise and Blackwater Park are two totally different levels of playing, songwriting, etc. These guys are already on a level of musicianship that is world-class. The songwriting is great, the production is great, and the playing is flawless.

This is merely telling of the problem with the Atlanta "scene". A new band comes along, and they get ripped apart. These guys are good, and on a level unmatched by anyone around here for their style of metal. The Withered comparison is pretty unfair, as they are comprised of two totally different styles of metal. Hopefully bands like Novum Organum can act as representatives or ambassadors of "Atlanta Metal".

Look who's representing us now on an external perspective...There won't be any naming of bands, but everyone here knows who the false ones are...
Level!!!!! And the honorary Chokeslam. :twisted:

And they didn't get ripped apart. Leaving such a glowing description and comparing them to one of the best bands in metal guarantees that people will disagree. There's more to the scene than just being a talented band.

That said, I think they're a good band and I look foward to getting them on my show.
Fuck it, Dude, let's go bowling.

donny

Post by donny » Tue July 25th, 2006, 8:07 am

ProstheticHead12 wrote:
NeuroNomicon wrote:...EdgeofSanity is correct. Withered brings some rock, but the lads in Novum are top-tier musicians. The Opeth comparisons are a good thing; look at how long it took Opeth to come into their own. Morningrise and Blackwater Park are two totally different levels of playing, songwriting, etc. These guys are already on a level of musicianship that is world-class. The songwriting is great, the production is great, and the playing is flawless.

Level!!!!! And the honorary Chokeslam. :twisted:

And they didn't get ripped apart. Leaving such a glowing description and comparing them to one of the best bands in metal guarantees that people will disagree. There's more to the scene than just being a talented band.

That said, I think they're a good band and I look foward to getting them on my show.
+1

donny

Post by donny » Tue July 25th, 2006, 8:13 am

They sounded like an opeth cover band to me . It takes more than being a "top-tier musician " to be a great band . Something like your own sound . Im not saying these guys wont develop into something cool but after 2 show , calling them the best atlanta band seems to me like you havent caught many of the good ones .

Post by post » Tue July 25th, 2006, 8:22 am

Novum Organum great to see you guys are playing live best of luck. Ill try to catch the next show. Glad to see such a positive response to your music I knew it was something special when I first heard the tunes as the serge/chrisproject.
Jesse
And withered is great, so are these guys leave it at that.

BoB

Post by BoB » Tue July 25th, 2006, 11:03 am

NeuroNomicon wrote:This is merely telling of the problem with the Atlanta "scene". A new band comes along, and they get ripped apart.
Wow, I didn't detect any ripping. I'm excited to have a band playing stuff like this in town. Maybe my wording of having a "gripe" was not right - to better articulate: it's great that this band can do what they do and if they can derive into something more original than they'll be awesome.

i'm done ripping... :roll: