What's Happening!!!!

discussions about Atlanta metal bands

Moderators: Brian, Metalfreak, MS_39455, AtlantaMetal Staff

AmoebicDysentery

Post by AmoebicDysentery » Mon October 4th, 2004, 10:10 pm

:lol: You didn't get that all these comparisons were jokes.

Oldmangloom25

Post by Oldmangloom25 » Tue October 5th, 2004, 12:26 am

just write gullable on the ceiling for me.

~O-bot

WREKage-Paul
WREKage Staff

Post by WREKage-Paul » Wed October 6th, 2004, 6:23 pm

Not sure if the thread did, but I've a feeling some of the posts were in jest. Mine definitely was. :)
Community host for WREKage
www.wrekage.org
Friday night, midnight 'til we get tired, 91.1 FM

TheKshatriya

Post by TheKshatriya » Fri October 8th, 2004, 7:38 pm

I love the knife trade and necrophagist. But the knife trade is the only good metalcore band iv heard from GA. I think the Remnant are a bunch of cocky assholes who worry to much about their sweeps than their awful music. I think i remember Unblessed being just death metal, and as far as I know kshat and them are the only straight death metal bands.

Last year or so it seemed that Signs of Dying, Burial Rites, The Souls Unrest and Kshatriya seemed to be the metal bands of atlanta. If SOD and TSU were to ever play a reunion show i think that should be the line up, but i dont see that happeneing.

E.J. Diarrheaspray

Post by E.J. Diarrheaspray » Sat October 9th, 2004, 1:19 pm

Signs of Dying is probably too busy going to church to reform :lol:

Asrynth

Post by Asrynth » Sat October 9th, 2004, 7:27 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Oldmangloom25+Oct 5 2004, 03:08 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Oldmangloom25 @ Oct 5 2004, 03:08 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> To each his own. Comparisons can be drawn all day long. The whole idea of music from my POV is to have fun and play the music that you want to hear. If everyone sounds alike to you (joe public) maybe its just what you (joe public) don't want to hear in music. Personally I'd rather have a dozen Knife Trades than Necrophagists, because I don't really like the latter. Even then, Downpour and The Knife Trade only sound alike to someone who isn't a fan because of the genre of music they may be labeled as, and not by the specific sound that each band brings to the table. It's like comparing In Flames and Soilwork. It just doesn't matter. I think The Knife Trade is a better band...so what? I think In Flames are better songwriters and Soilwork are better musicians. Thats only my opinion and as the old saying goes opinions are like assholes...The list could go on and on and on.

In retrospect, it reads as if this whole thread started as a joke?

Lets hope so. [/quote]
First of all, I agree with what he said ^^ about a bunch of bands getting labeled by people who are just stereotyping the genre. I think I maybe guilty of this too often present cliche myself. But from my point of view, Music should be about doing what you love and watching bands you enjoy on your own personal status. I think that bands like Necrophagist and Arsis make music so much more exciting with the crazy virtuoso things they do. I also think that by making their music much more complicated and unusual, it makes those kinds of bands much more of a challenge to aspire too, We all know any metalhead with a guitar can make up riffs full of power chords, I cant see how something more complicated wouldnt be more ammusing or enjoyable? Although the prior statements might not apply to everyone in this forum, I know that we all share one thing in common and that is A love for metal. And hopefully the Atlanta metal scene may grow and prosper for everyones benefit. I think that more frequent Metal Festivals would draw alot more attention to this city.

AmoebicDysentery

Post by AmoebicDysentery » Sat October 9th, 2004, 8:59 pm

All this talk about technical guitar wankery reminds me of a quote I saw in Guitar World a few years ago..."If the world wanted to watch you masturbate, they'd hook a camera up to your toiletseat"

Dunno why I thought of that..but yeah.

ProstheticHead12

Post by ProstheticHead12 » Sat October 9th, 2004, 9:12 pm

why the hell shouldn't they play solos and tear up the fretboard. i for one sure don't wanna watch some boring guitar player play below his ability. if you've got talent use it. i dont like bands because they hold back, i like them because they're more talented than other musicians and they let it show. it's like seeing shaq play basketball and then complaining that he dunks too much and makes the game too exciting. not real eloquent but i think it gets my point across.
Fuck it, Dude, let's go bowling.

fukrholestkhed

Post by fukrholestkhed » Sun October 10th, 2004, 12:13 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Asrynth+Oct 9 2004, 07:27 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Asrynth @ Oct 9 2004, 07:27 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <!--QuoteBegin-Oldmangloom25+Oct 5 2004, 03:08 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Oldmangloom25 &#064; Oct 5 2004, 03:08 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> To each his own.&nbsp; Comparisons can be drawn all day long.&nbsp; The whole idea of music from my POV is to have fun and play the music that you want to hear.&nbsp; If everyone sounds alike to you (joe public) maybe its just what you (joe public) don't want to hear in music.&nbsp; Personally I'd rather have a dozen Knife Trades than Necrophagists, because I don't really like the latter.&nbsp; Even then, Downpour and The Knife Trade only sound alike to someone who isn't a fan because of the genre of music they may be labeled as, and not by the specific sound that each band brings to the table.&nbsp; It's like comparing In Flames and Soilwork.&nbsp; It just doesn't matter.&nbsp; I think The Knife Trade is a better band...so what?&nbsp; I think In Flames are better songwriters and Soilwork are better musicians.&nbsp; Thats only my opinion and as the old saying goes opinions are like assholes...The list could go on and on and on.

In retrospect, it reads as if this whole thread started as a joke?

Lets hope so. [/quote]
First of all, I agree with what he said ^^ about a bunch of bands getting labeled by people who are just stereotyping the genre. I think I maybe guilty of this too often present cliche myself. But from my point of view, Music should be about doing what you love and watching bands you enjoy on your own personal status. I think that bands like Necrophagist and Arsis make music so much more exciting with the crazy virtuoso things they do. I also think that by making their music much more complicated and unusual, it makes those kinds of bands much more of a challenge to aspire too, We all know any metalhead with a guitar can make up riffs full of power chords, I cant see how something more complicated wouldnt be more ammusing or enjoyable? Although the prior statements might not apply to everyone in this forum, I know that we all share one thing in common and that is A love for metal. And hopefully the Atlanta metal scene may grow and prosper for everyones benefit. I think that more frequent Metal Festivals would draw alot more attention to this city. [/quote]
i would rather see/listen to people that can write an amazing song (i.e. Neurosis, Isis, Godspeed You Black Emperor) that can make you feel some kind of emotion, whether it be happy, sad, or whatever, than to see/listen to some guy/guys show off how great they are at playing their instrument...just because you are an amazing guitarist doesnt mean you can write an amazing song, you gotta have some equality in there, otherwise the music is just too simple(for me anyways)...if you have some guitarist whacking his pud all over the recording, it just sounds too shallow, there isnt enough there, and in order to write something moving, you cant use just one chord, theres gotta be layers...if i havent confused you yet, im surprised, i just confused myself...basically...you dont have to be a great instrumentalist to write a great song, but you do have to know where to stop and expand rather than jerking yourself off
play your gloom axe

ProstheticHead12

Post by ProstheticHead12 » Sun October 10th, 2004, 8:53 am

i'm not gonna quote all that stuff but i agree with the above - good songs and good songwriting are certainly prerequisites. once you've written a good song and made a spot within the song for a solo that fits with the music then what i said earlier still holds.
Fuck it, Dude, let's go bowling.

chokeslam

Post by chokeslam » Sun October 10th, 2004, 9:15 am

Can Chokeslam get in on some of those shows? <a href='http://www.chokeslam.biz' target='_blank'>Chokeslam Website</a> :sm0k3: