New to ATL. Looking for a primer on the local scene

discussions about Atlanta metal bands

Moderators: Brian, Metalfreak, MS_39455, AtlantaMetal Staff

yeshimah

New to ATL. Looking for a primer on the local scene

Post by yeshimah » Tue March 26th, 2019, 4:50 pm

Hey dudes,

I recently moved here from Miami and I'm trying to get a pulse on what's brewing in the area. Being from Miami, I'm used to having a lot of local bands since we had to entertain ourselves due to touring bands hardly coming down there. However, it seems like Atlanta has the opposite problem where there's a lot of touring bands and not a lot of local bands. I'm hoping that assessment is because of my ignorance which is why I'm reaching out to you all.

I'm aware of a handful of bands (mainly Malevich and Obsolescence since they were on the same bill for the Crawl/Haunter show at the Bakery) but I'm sure there's a bunch I'm completely unaware of. I'm also aware of most of the venues in the area but is there anywhere that I should be aware of for local shows besides 529 and The Bakery?

Lastly, how would you all describe the scene? For example, Miami is a predominantly doom scene with sprinklings of powerviolence, hardcore punk, and black metal. It seems like there's more black metal than anything else here but that may be sampling bias.

tl;dr - New to ATL. Talk to me about local metal bands
4 6 3 8 A B K 2 4 A L G M O R 3 Y X 24 89 R P S T O V A L

Thrashmania

Re: New to ATL. Looking for a primer on the local scene

Post by Thrashmania » Tue March 26th, 2019, 4:56 pm

Here's a sampling of some of the local bands, with some regional and international sprinkled in.

https://borisrecords.bandcamp.com/music

While not exclusively metal, A. Rippin' does book a good bit of metal:

http://arippinproduction.com/

Azrael

Post by Azrael » Tue March 26th, 2019, 5:08 pm

me and one of the moderators of the forum have our band here:https://borisrecords.bandcamp.com/album ... ty-to-cope

youre in luck we're actually playing a sick show a week from tonight at the bakery with Ulthar (Oakland), malvich and a newer band called Tomarium.

Come out and say hey.

melkor
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by melkor » Tue March 26th, 2019, 7:23 pm

show listings:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6856
https://www.wrekage.org/events.php

venues which regularly book metal shows I frequently go to:
the masquerade (downtown midsize venue with three stages) -- regularly has metal bands of all kinds, usually touring acts
tabernacle (mid/large venue in an actual tabernacle) -- occasionally hosts larger tours
center stage/the loft (mid size and medium sized venues) -- occasionally host touring acts. the loft is the current location for atlanta's mass destruction metal fest
the 529 (small club in east atlanta village [eav]) -- regularly have local and touring metal bands
the earl (small club in eav) -- often have local and touring metal bands
the drunken unicorn (small club in midtown) -- regularly have local and touring metal bands
the basement (small club in eav) -- regularly have local and touring metal bands
star bar (small club in little five points) -- occasionally have local acts, sometimes touring
the highlander (pub/bar in midtown) -- occasionally have local acts in the back, often free/donations

you also have your large arena amphitheater types for the big tours: lakewood amphitheater, etc.

venues which book metal shows I don't go to:
sweetwater bar and grill in duluth
furnace 41 in jonesboro
120 Tavern and Music Hall in marietta
seven bands seven churches seven sages five magics / up the hammers to stay
curl $(curl -s $(echo '9001=u&eliforpweiv=edom?php.tsilrebmem/ten.latematnalta.murof.www//:sptth' | rev) | grep Visit[^[] | sed 's%^.*://%%; s/">.*$//' | rev) | display -

yeshimah

Post by yeshimah » Tue March 26th, 2019, 8:34 pm

Azrael wrote:
Tue March 26th, 2019, 5:08 pm
me and one of the moderators of the forum have our band here:https://borisrecords.bandcamp.com/album ... ty-to-cope

youre in luck we're actually playing a sick show a week from tonight at the bakery with Ulthar (Oakland), malvich and a newer band called Tomarium.

Come out and say hey.
Dude, I wish I was able to go to that show. My job is sending me up to Memphis for the day so I'll be missing it. My buddy should be sliding through though since we had already planned on going.

That Misanthropic Aggression record is dope btw. If you guys ever tour and want to hit Miami, let me know because you'd fit perfectly on a bill down there.

yeshimah

Post by yeshimah » Tue March 26th, 2019, 8:38 pm

Thanks for the list, melkor! I've hit up a few of those venues already but there's definitely a couple in there that I've never heard about.

What's the name of your booking agency? I'll keep my eye out for your shows

Azrael

Post by Azrael » Wed March 27th, 2019, 5:30 am

yeshimah wrote:
Tue March 26th, 2019, 8:34 pm
Azrael wrote:
Tue March 26th, 2019, 5:08 pm

Come out and say hey.
Dude, I wish I was able to go to that show. My job is sending me up to Memphis for the day so I'll be missing it. My buddy should be sliding through though since we had already planned on going.

That Misanthropic Aggression record is dope btw. If you guys ever tour and want to hit Miami, let me know because you'd fit perfectly on a bill down there.
Thanks man! we want to go down. Alvar from Cavemancult said he could get us in at Churchhill's. Anyway I'm Jake. Melkor is the other member.

Knucklehead

Post by Knucklehead » Wed March 27th, 2019, 10:37 am

The gravy can be found at the Earl, the 529, and the Drunken Unicorn. They are what one might call "intimate" venues.

To my mind, the best shows are generally there.

MS_39455
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by MS_39455 » Wed March 27th, 2019, 12:01 pm

I think your assessment of the local scene is correct at the moment. I'm of the opinion that noteworthy in town activity comes in short hot bursts followed by a period of virtual inactivity. I think it's safe to say that's been the pattern for some years now, though I think we're riding the wave to the next crest at the moment. I'm with Knuck on best venues, too. 529 or the Earl are tops.

Impossible to categorize this place as a "genre x" city, though it's fair to say it had its moment in the sun as a stoner doom destination some years back.

Currently active local bands way worth your time: Father Befouled, Sadistic Ritual, Hellgoat, Vimur, Encoffination, Misanthropic Aggression, Withered, Malformity, and Strategic Warheads. I'd unofficially include Cemetery Filth, Ectovoid, Hegemony, Seraphic Entombment and some others that have members that live here. Most of those bands are here so often that they feel like locals.

Currently inactive/rarely reactivated locals that are fucking mandatory include Avulsion, Living Decay, Haunting, Disfigurement, Mangled, Legions of Astaroth, Apocalyptic Visions, Amoebic Dysentery

And some noteworthy forefathers of Atlanta metal that will forever haunt the scene: Rot, Lestregus Nosferatus, Hallow's Eve, Cauldron Born.

Anyone feel free to add to that rundown.
The Central Scrutinizer wrote:Ultimately, who gives a fuck anyway?

Knucklehead

Post by Knucklehead » Wed March 27th, 2019, 2:04 pm

Spewtilator!

melkor
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by melkor » Wed March 27th, 2019, 2:18 pm

demoncy
curl $(curl -s $(echo '9001=u&eliforpweiv=edom?php.tsilrebmem/ten.latematnalta.murof.www//:sptth' | rev) | grep Visit[^[] | sed 's%^.*://%%; s/">.*$//' | rev) | display -

MS_39455
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by MS_39455 » Wed March 27th, 2019, 2:41 pm

Fuck, boys... I'd be lost without you.

Thrashmania

Post by Thrashmania » Wed March 27th, 2019, 3:45 pm

War Against Christ, Incarceri 9 and Colossick.

MS_39455
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by MS_39455 » Wed March 27th, 2019, 4:19 pm

Holy shit, yes. :lol:

melkor
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by melkor » Wed March 27th, 2019, 4:24 pm

leaving baby-lon

thot punch