New host. Show revival and changes.

discuss the radio show here Into The Void

Moderators: Brian, Metalfreak, spookyapplesauce

Brian
WREKage Staff

Post by Brian » Thu June 28th, 2012, 3:20 pm

Neither Corey nor I think that you are commenting on the current state of WREKage. I have an ego, but it is not big enough to care about a show I used to host that is on a different day, time, and station than WNGTI. They are not competitors, they are complements.

The main issue, at least as I see it, and this does not apply to to you as you already admitted to not being a metalhead, is the trend of 'unmetaling' metal. People deciding that metal is too lame, too gimmicky, too nerdy, too whatever and trying to 'save' it. Metal is inherently gimmicky and nerdy. It always has been and always will be. Outsiders trying to change and reform the culture is frankly irritating. And this is not related to your show -- it is a trend in general that has gone on for years now with no end in sight, so please don't take it as a dig at you!

I'm glad that WNGTI is more active. I'm not one to turn away more metal in Atlanta. That said, metal is metal and shouldn't be hidden or censored to make it 'appealing.' There is far more 'purposefully making metal appealing' these days than there is 'purposefully making metal UNappealing' and it's sad.

WREKage and WNGTI are different and both have their place. I think we both understand that. The last thing Atlanta needs is more clones. Diversity is good.

You're obviously doing something right when on your first day you've broken the record for biggest topic on this subforum.

spookyapplesauce
WRAS Staff

Post by spookyapplesauce » Thu June 28th, 2012, 3:34 pm

Brian wrote:Neither Corey nor I think that you are commenting on the current state of WREKage. I have an ego, but it is not big enough to care about a show I used to host that is on a different day, time, and station than WNGTI. They are not competitors, they are complements.

The main issue, at least as I see it, and this does not apply to to you as you already admitted to not being a metalhead, is the trend of 'unmetaling' metal. People deciding that metal is too lame, too gimmicky, too nerdy, too whatever and trying to 'save' it. Metal is inherently gimmicky and nerdy. It always has been and always will be. Outsiders trying to change and reform the culture is frankly irritating. And this is not related to your show -- it is a trend in general that has gone on for years now with no end in sight, so please don't take it as a dig at you!

I'm glad that WNGTI is more active. I'm not one to turn away more metal in Atlanta. That said, metal is metal and shouldn't be hidden or censored to make it 'appealing.' There is far more 'purposefully making metal appealing' these days than there is 'purposefully making metal UNappealing' and it's sad.

WREKage and WNGTI are different and both have their place. I think we both understand that. The last thing Atlanta needs is more clones. Diversity is good.
I guess I don't see too many people trying to make it more appealing as a whole. Sure there are plenty of shit bands trying to make it big and trying to sound more appealing. What I think Kessler was going for, and what I would honestly like to achieve, is enlightening non-metal fans or even metal-haters to the fact that metal can and does often have artistic value. It's not just noise or a collection of fast riffs. It's not just for one type of listener. That's not trying to make it more appealing. It is what it is... I'm not trying to sugarcoat it, just asking for people to be a bit more open-minded about metal, and music in general. Sure maybe death metal doesn't appeal to some, but maybe atmospheric black metal does. It's like.. don't listen to one band or see one metalhead and decide that it's all the same. I think there's something for everyone.

Metal is so broad, so no, not all of it is nerdy or gimmicky. Some of it not at all. I think shoehorning everything into one category is everyone's problem. The average person is generalizing and dismissing everything when there is so much. There are so many different subgenres and subcultures of metal. I think I've mostly been removed from the gimmick stuff because I frequent the sludge, stoner, and doom scene and that, in general, tends to be a little bit more serious. I've never considered myself a metalhead but I do feel so passionately about metal. So it bothers me that so many people, so many music lovers, especially at WRAS, dismiss it as a joke.

ratanda
AtlantaMetal Staff

Re: New host. Show revival and changes.

Post by ratanda » Thu June 28th, 2012, 4:10 pm

spookyapplesauce wrote:Since taking over at We're Not Gonna Take It, I've made some changes. I've placed a focus on underground metal and bringing the show back to the college radio mission of helping artists that actually need more exposure and appreciation. Sure, I love Master of Puppets as much as the next person, but Metallica doesn't need my help. I'd like to focus on the underground bands, the local artists, and to keep the show current and up-to-date, so you guys know what's going on in the metal world today. Of course, I'll play some old favorites, but a majority of my sets are going to be newer tracks and unreleased music, so you can hear it first.
Sounds awesome. The last host I remember, someone after Amanda, never went to local shows or seemed interested in the local scene. This is a refreshing change.

spookyapplesauce
WRAS Staff

Post by spookyapplesauce » Thu June 28th, 2012, 4:12 pm

Thanks for the support. :)

Metalfreak

Post by Metalfreak » Sat June 30th, 2012, 10:11 pm

It's good to see this show back in action! I hosted it from late 05- May 09 (I was a cohost at first) and I always went to shows, had plenty of tickets to giveaway...Tommy can tell you all about that! And I always played good shit.

I'd listen to the stream Monday night but I have no time. This is the first time I've logged on these boards in a month! (I'm on lockdown at Maxwell AFB at Officer Training School...it's freakin intense!)
They had you do a drug test and the forgot to test for drugs???

Kaganator

Post by Kaganator » Sun July 1st, 2012, 10:12 am

Metalfreak wrote:It's good to see this show back in action! I hosted it from late 05- May 09 (I was a cohost at first) and I always went to shows, had plenty of tickets to giveaway...Tommy can tell you all about that! And I always played good shit.

I'd listen to the stream Monday night but I have no time. This is the first time I've logged on these boards in a month! (I'm on lockdown at Maxwell AFB at Officer Training School...it's freakin intense!)
Have fun in the Air Force.

Moloc

Post by Moloc » Wed July 4th, 2012, 11:46 am

Show sounded great Monday night. Keep up the good work!

Knucklehead

Post by Knucklehead » Sun August 12th, 2012, 7:19 pm

Check yer PM's, please.