Warning - Watching from a Distance wrekage review

This is the place to talk shit! its also where we flush the nonsense

Moderators: Brian, Metalfreak, MS_39455, AtlantaMetal Staff

Josh

Warning - Watching from a Distance wrekage review

Post by Josh » Fri August 10th, 2012, 3:22 pm

Has anyone read this shit? I feel gay after reading it. I couldn't imagine the homosexuality radiating from the person that wrote this.

check it out........

Sometimes I sit in my room and reminisce about past relationships gone sour. I was in a couple where the girls involved did nothing but support me, care for me, and try to understand me. I didnt do too much; I basically fell ass-backwards into these relationships. They certainly werent perfect, but the way I handled them still gets to me. I couldve done so much more and made them more enriching experiences while they lasted. But I didnt; instead I decided for some reason that I was too good and shouldnt leave myself restricted like that, as if I had a lot to offer other people. Which was bullshit.

I dont really do much of anything. People will say that college is the best years of your life, but for me so far outside of a couple sources of happiness such as my current relationship, which I couldnt really ask more of, things have been pretty dull. I like to think how much of a better person I am than frat boys and kids who party every night but in the end theyre still having a lot more fun and getting more out of life at the moment than I am. I go to class, work a bit, come home and play stupid video games until the next day where I do it all over again. I say maybe five complete sentences in total to other people in any given day. I havent made any real friends in my three years of college and I talk to nobody in my classes. Its not that Im antisocial, but I have a hard time relating to the interests of my peers and their personalities. Most are vapid morons who shouldnt be in an institution of higher learning in the first place, but I know in all honesty that some are not, but I still dont do much to seek these people out. Im just socially lazy. This in consideration, its a miracle Im in a relationship in the first place. Im terrible meeting and befriending people. But I guess I got that done back in high school when I was forced to interact with people around me more.

I like to think of myself as more interesting than I actually am. Why arent people just flocking to ask me what I think about life? About situations in politics, about good art, just about anything? Mostly because I dont do shit. I know Im capable of being productive and changing the world in a positive way, but I look at myself beginning my twenties and all that Ive accomplished and there isnt much. Theres mostly a lot of regrets. Regrets about relationships that couldve been more, hobbies that couldve become talents had I only had the dedication and lack of prejudice (Id be playing on my schools football team right now if I had), things I could be doing right fucking now. But lately Ive felt pretty empty. Its a struggle just to write something as long as this or even a lab report for my class where I have issues just putting two words together that may be more than a syllable each. This happened to me several times in the past and I got over it but thats because I was younger. But now that Im an adult its a little harder to accept all the things Ive missed out on in life already. I can trick myself into believing that this isnt the only life Ill live, that therell be chances to do everything over and live multiple lives to do everything I always wanted. But that isnt going to happen. Every minute I waste staring at a computer screen, looking at the home page of NFL.com or I_LOVE_ZUCKERPENIS or something for the fifth time in the past minute as if something life-changing is going to pop up any time, every one of those minutes is a minute lost forever. I wont be able to redo today, or yesterday, or tomorrow and tomorrow isnt looking like itll be any different. I wont be able to go back and fix those relationships. I wont be able to go back and take up football. Theres only what could become from this point on. Every minute wasted is potential and options in life being washed away.

Im just writing this as I think of things; Ive probably forgotten some things I wanted to say. But I think the picture is clear: Im very dissatisfied with myself and the way my life has gone. Im sure some people would kill for my life. I have a loving girlfriend, a few good friends who I relate to very well, a good education with good career prospects, a family thats emotionally distant and fractured but still composed of down-to-earth people who I know love me anyway. I can afford food and some new CDs and games every once in a while. Im privileged enough to be happy materially, but emotionally theres a lot unfulfilled. Every day is a day I feel like theres some big party going on that Im missing out on. I need to take steps in the right direction now so that what youth I have left in me, the next decade or so I have of still being able to act sort of like a kid without the responsibilities of an adult entrenched in a career or with kids will be a decade where Im not constantly looking back, at least not in regret. I should look back on every day in satisfaction, that it wasnt a day wasted. And Ive had a lot of wasted days these past couple of years.

Maybe Im just growing up faster than my peers. With it comes the benefit of being more reasonable and with an easier ability to see the consequences of my actions, things Ill thank myself for in the long run. But what I wont be able to forgive myself for is wasting a life that Ill never be able to hit a rewind button on.

I want to feel stronger; that is, I want to more strongly feel. I want the motivation that someone who works on a single painting meticulously for years has. I can be a poet, but I dont have the drive to write. I can be a musician, but I dont have the dedication to stick to a project or practice an instrument. I just want immediate success, maybe because of the time I feel Ive already wasted. I just want to fucking DO something. But the strongest feelings I have right now are of longing, regret, nostalgia, emptiness. If "nothing" was a feeling Id have it in spades. These feelings arent sharp and demanding of constant attention; theyre just dull, always present but only in the forefront when Im by myself with time to think about how I could be doing something so much greater. And in those moments, the lingering depression comes pouring out all at once.

Those kind of feelings produce music like this.

ratanda
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by ratanda » Fri August 10th, 2012, 3:32 pm

I'm not reading all that.

slut rag

Post by slut rag » Fri August 10th, 2012, 3:36 pm

well, i read it. where the hell is the review?! it's just someone bitching about their life. no mention at all of this artist/album or at least i didn't see one.

Kaganator

Post by Kaganator » Fri August 10th, 2012, 3:37 pm

Here's the link of the WREKage website http://www.wrekage.org/reviews.php?id=93

melkor
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by melkor » Sat August 11th, 2012, 1:22 am

slut rag wrote:well, i read it. where the hell is the review?! it's just someone bitching about their life. no mention at all of this artist/album or at least i didn't see one.
You've got to read the last sentence.
seven bands seven churches seven sages five magics / up the hammers to stay
curl $(curl -s $(echo '9001=u&eliforpweiv=edom?php.tsilrebmem/ten.latematnalta.murof.www//:sptth' | rev) | grep Visit[^[] | sed 's%^.*://%%; s/">.*$//' | rev) | display -

Moloc

Post by Moloc » Sat August 11th, 2012, 6:55 am

Must be one depressing album.

BlackRoija
WREKage Staff

Post by BlackRoija » Sat August 11th, 2012, 10:59 am

While I'm flattered with your inquiry regarding my sexual preferences, unfortunately I'll have to reject your advances considering I'm quite hetero.

I don't write press releases. It's 2012, and if you just want a description of what this sounds like, you could go to Youtube and listen to a clip instead. The point of my reviews is to reflect how an album makes me feel, and as opposed to writing "THE FEELINGS THIS ALBUM GENERATES INCLUDE:" I draw from my personal life. The only way to properly express the emotional impact of an album is to, well, actually use my own emotions, as opposed to a collection of canned phrases. Read Kerrang or something if you're looking for a song-by-song breakdown complete with a star rating or whatever.

Maybe that isn't your thing, and well, I couldn't care less either way. But it sure says a lot about you if any form of emotional expression from a male is "gay" to you.

Josh

Post by Josh » Sun August 12th, 2012, 3:04 am

It's cool man. It's not gay at all. In fact I'm probably gay. Your review is great.

Brian
WREKage Staff

Post by Brian » Sun August 12th, 2012, 11:57 am

If you've ever heard this record, you'd get why this review works. It's spot on. Not everything can be lame-ass tech death.

stewvee

Post by stewvee » Sun August 12th, 2012, 12:39 pm

I WISH THE REVIEWER WOULD TALK ABOUT WHAT THE MUSIC SOUNDS LIKE. I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THE MUSIC SOUNDS LIKE FROM READING THIS REVIEW. WHO IS THE BAND? WHERE DO THEY HAIL FROM? WHAT KIND OF OUTFITS DO THEY WEAR? WHAT DOES THE ALBUM COVER LOOK LIKE? IS THERE A UPC ON IT? WHERE CAN I DOWNLOAD IT? THIS IS PRETENTIOUS, PSEUDO-INTELLECTUAL GIBBERISH. IF I WANT TO READ ABOUT SOMEONE'S ACHING VAGI, I'LL GO TO TARGET AND BUY A COPY OF FIFTY SHADES OF GRAY LIKE EVERY OTHER HORNY MIDDLE-AGED MOM. THE ONLY THING WORSE THAN PITCHFORK IS WRECKAGE REVIEWS. FOAD.
Brian wrote:dance, monkey, dance!!
http://chipsandbeermag.tumblr.com/

ratanda
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by ratanda » Sun August 12th, 2012, 12:53 pm

Brian wrote:If you've ever heard this record, you'd get why this review works. It's spot on. Not everything can be lame-ass tech death.
Accurate or not, ordinarily one reads reviews before listening to an album and not after. No offense to the writer, but this is a bad review, gay or not. After a few lines you're wondering that this has to do with anything, which doesn't make for a very effective review. I don't think the comments here are towards the music (lame-ass tech death, or any-other-ass whatever), but the review itself.

BlackRoija
WREKage Staff

Post by BlackRoija » Sun August 12th, 2012, 1:26 pm

ratanda wrote:
Brian wrote:If you've ever heard this record, you'd get why this review works. It's spot on. Not everything can be lame-ass tech death.
Accurate or not, ordinarily one reads reviews before listening to an album and not after. No offense to the writer, but this is a bad review, gay or not. After a few lines you're wondering that this has to do with anything, which doesn't make for a very effective review. I don't think the comments here are towards the music (lame-ass tech death, or any-other-ass whatever), but the review itself.
I think your idea of a review is different from mine. The expository review is dead. It has no real purpose in the current time. Technology has rendered it obsolete, whether or not it's desirable. I actually DO read reviews typically after an album. I may skim a short one to figure out if it's something I could be interested in, but I don't let it influence me. I let my ears be the primary judge of an album. Then I might go read some more in-depth reviews. The point of this is because in a non-expository review, the point is to share your own personal perspective, and this is difficult to do without assuming that the reader has already heard the album. It's hard to relate details and feelings evoked with someone who has no experience of their own to make the connection. If you read my review without having heard the album first, sure, maybe it could come off as meandering, pointless, ineffective. But afterwards it's entirely intuitive; I don't need to say things like "the point of this is that X relates in Y way to Z". I don't desire to insult the intelligence of the reader. I do indeed write my reviews with the intention that they be read after spinning the album once or twice. Its purpose is the expansion of perspective, sharing feelings to increase the appreciation of an album for subsequent listens. You might not be able to understand or appreciate the purpose of KY warming lube if you've never had sex before, y'know?

I write to potentially help you think about an album in a new way in order to better appreciate it, not urge you to go buy said album now now now, Amazon.com/mediafire link included.

Regardless, maybe you'd like my review of Midnight's Satanic Royalty more? It's also on the wrekage website.