We used to do this...

discuss the radio show WREKage

Moderators: Brian, Metalfreak, MS_39455, WREKage Staff

soulvoid

Post by soulvoid » Fri September 3rd, 2004, 12:59 am

When Shawn and I were hosting he started doing this "Classic Metal" Clip from the viynl section. Either he or myself would find the cheesiest metal we could find and play it. We did this every week at 11pm. It was great for us , we had a ball listening to the stuff we NEVER would have played otherwise. Plus it gives alot of records the time of day. Some of the records in WREKage's collection haven't been played since before even Bob was getting drunk on the "Carnal Corner" and passing out in the street in front of WREK. (so the story I always heard went) So in my opinion it's an awesome idea to bring it back. I say any record put out before 1989 that you would NEVER have played would work. It doesn't take much time to find hundreds. I remember one band name "Rouge Male" extra cheese anyone? What do ya'll think?
David

Fn Dan

Post by Fn Dan » Fri September 3rd, 2004, 1:37 am

If you look at our recent playlists, you'll see that I've been playing quite a few songs every week off of vinyl. They're definitely all much older than 1989 too...

soulvoid

Post by soulvoid » Fri September 3rd, 2004, 1:41 am

But I am talking about doing a segment at a set time every week. I also said find stuff you would never play in a million years.

Fn Dan

Post by Fn Dan » Fri September 3rd, 2004, 1:52 am

We don't do segments anymore. It's one show that features all styles of metal throughout its run.

BoB

Post by BoB » Fri September 3rd, 2004, 8:02 am

and I never passed out in the street. at least that I recall... :ch33rs:

soulvoid

Post by soulvoid » Fri September 3rd, 2004, 11:24 am

That was the story I always heard from Shawn. Like I said , So I heard.

WREKage-Paul
WREKage Staff

Post by WREKage-Paul » Fri September 10th, 2004, 1:23 pm

Lately, it seems like we've been playing several "classic metal clips" during each show, which is cool. Keeps things fresh and diverse.

Community host for WREKage
www.wrekage.org
Friday night, midnight 'til we get tired, 91.1 FM

BoB

Post by BoB » Fri September 10th, 2004, 2:44 pm

Yeah, I like the way the show has been going to more of a diverse format rather than block.

I still never passed out in the street... :P

DarkWolfen

Post by DarkWolfen » Sat September 11th, 2004, 11:22 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-bob+Sep 10 2004, 02:44 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bob &#064; Sep 10 2004, 02:44 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Yeah, I like the way the show has been going to more of a diverse format rather than block.&nbsp;

I still never passed out in the street...&nbsp; :P [/quote]

The real question is where was the most memorable place you puked? :ch33rs:

BoB

Post by BoB » Sun September 12th, 2004, 4:04 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-DarkWolfen+Sep 12 2004, 12:22 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (DarkWolfen &#064; Sep 12 2004, 12:22 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->The real question is where was the most memorable place you puked? :ch33rs:[/quote]
Well, there was one night when Gino and I were knocking back a lot of beer and vodka - a very bad mix for me. Anyway, I was broadcasting much longer than I should have, so while I never puked in the studio, the hallway carpet between the studio and bathroom had trails for years after...

Then there was some battle of the bands at the prestigious International Ballroom where I was asked to be a judge. When I got there they mentioned open-bar :b0unc3y: I'm told I verbally blasted some of the bands, fell out of my chair numerous times and ended up yacking all over the Ballroom bathroom. It was one of the greatest times I'll never remember.

btw David: the show at the time was spelled with Ks, "Karnal Korner", for maximum cheeze. I never named the show/segment, I just added the Ks - the name was Mark Delgado's doing...

:ch33rs:

Greg
WREKage Staff

Post by Greg » Sun September 12th, 2004, 6:13 pm

We definitely have been making more of an effort to play older stuff on the show. Daniel and I usually pull about 8-10 albums on vinyl out between the two of us to play, but we wind up only getting to a couple of them because we play requests so much now.

That's not a complaint or anything... in fact, our show probably wouldn't be as diverse if we didn't get so many requests. Our listeners do a good job of getting us to play stuff from all over the metal soundscape.

soulvoid

Post by soulvoid » Mon September 13th, 2004, 11:06 pm

I am suprised I didn't know that. Oh well I guess I learn something new everyday. Shawn always told me and other people stories about the notorious Bob's off air antics. I have heard some WILD shit. Most I would NEVER say in here. LOL , Some I recall from when I met you and watched you host. Remember that?

Anyhow all the hosts over the years have had their own thing that made them enjoyable. Minus a few hosts which I won't mention. However none of them are now hosting luckily. I still say though , in my opinion Bob and Jesus have got to be my two favorites , you just never knew what to expect with those two. Remember when Jesus tried to boycott the Masquerade? That was downright great stuff. It wasn't smart for the stations sake and it cost him his hosting rights his first go around but it was rather great for radio sake. I know the new host are under alot of pressure to be responsible because of alot of the antics of us past hosts. However we did alot of what we did to get listeners. Plus not to mention Metal is suppose to be a big FUCK YOU in the face of authority. ALL host were always under scrutiny even when the station manager was a death metal fan. I could be wrong but I think WREK knows that WREKage is the #1 show on the station. It shows in why we were always being watched over. How come they always knew when we screwed up. We were the only show that generated any HUGE following. I can guarentee that other host of the other shows have been wild and crazy over the years. I could even name a few. I don't see anything EVER happening to the show unless metal becomes mainstream in a top 40 sense or WREK closes it doors. Before that would ever happen the bastard show that is WREKage would hold benefit shows to stop the demise. Like I said WREK staff knows what side their bread is buttered on. Now some are gonna think I am saying for the host to break rules and be completly outta control. NO , I am just saying for the hosts not to worry if they mess up from time to time. We all have. Keep up the good work and wave that METAL flag high!

Greg
WREKage Staff

Post by Greg » Tue September 14th, 2004, 7:30 am

It's definitely gonna be harder in the new studio to do anything "controversial", it was much easier to hide evidence in the old one.

Our new GM hates metal but is slowly but surely coming around to trusting us and the show. He even asked me if I wanted to be a music director the other day, which shocked the hell out of me. I guess he equates me being at WREK for an hour in my break between classes listening to whatever new Wrekage stuff we get in as being at the studio all the time and wanting to listen to everything we get in, metal or otherwise.

I may take him up on it just to see if I could get more borderline metal stuff in rotation than what there is now.

soulvoid

Post by soulvoid » Tue September 14th, 2004, 8:49 am

Sounds good to me , I think that would be an awesome step into getting the GM's trust. Plus who knows if he see WREKage isn't that bad and doesn't do anything other shows aren't doing maybe , in some form or fashion WREKage will get rewarded. Isn't about time for a WREKage benefit? That might impress him?

VibrationsOfDoom

controversial??

Post by VibrationsOfDoom » Wed May 4th, 2005, 3:34 am

Well, I don't know how "shocking and over the top" this would be, but I think Greg and I crossed the line when we butchered a Flock Of Seagulls song on the last WREKage show... (Did we get in trouble for that dude?)