25 Years

discuss the radio show WREKage

Moderators: Brian, Metalfreak, MS_39455, WREKage Staff

Brian
WREKage Staff

25 Years

Post by Brian » Thu March 27th, 2008, 11:20 pm

So on the history part of the WREKage site, it says the show started back in 1984, meaning next year is the 25th anniversary. I've been thinking about some stuff to do for it and mentioned it tonight at the exec staff meeting (since I'll be part of exec staff as of next Monday) and they liked the idea. A concert would be cool and some of the people mentioned having "25 hours of WREKage" on the date the show started. Does anyone know that date? Also, having all of the old hosts do some hours on the show, either in studio or recorded if they are too far away to take part is something else I've thought about.

It's pretty early to start thinking about it but I figured I would start getting ideas now. Input?

BoB

Post by BoB » Fri March 28th, 2008, 3:43 pm

nice catch & good idea!

check with encyclopedia-Kincaid (Jon) about the birthdate - he might know.
he could probably also tell you what he ate that day and what bands were playing in town :)

Mitch
WREKage Staff

Post by Mitch » Fri March 28th, 2008, 8:52 pm

Good thinking. It's not too early at all to start planning if we want to host a show. Depending on how big the bands we want are, we'd need to start contacting them about a year in advance I'd say.

25 hours of WREKage might work too since it was such a big success last time. Especially if 4-6 hours was a live show.

Brian
WREKage Staff

Post by Brian » Fri March 28th, 2008, 9:19 pm

True.
Maybe Tim could talk some of his bff's into playing for us?

holly
WREKage Staff

Post by holly » Sat March 29th, 2008, 8:54 am

I'm in.
Just tell me what you need!

Mike
WREKage Staff

Post by Mike » Sat March 29th, 2008, 9:26 am

Brian wrote:True.
Maybe Tim could talk some of his bff's into playing for us?
Tim has been known to exaggerate. I'm still waiting for Jamey Jasta to come in and film the station and for KK Downing to call for 6/6/06.
I'd say make a list of bands you want and we might be able to pull it off ourselves.

Brian
WREKage Staff

Post by Brian » Sat March 29th, 2008, 3:24 pm

Yeah I was kind of joking about that . He does have a good reputation over at the Masq though so he could be very helpful in securing us a venue.

I can think of plenty of bands who I wouldn't mind having but of course cost is a huge issue. Do we want national bands, local bands, a mix? If we want national bands, do we just want the Atlanta stop of a national tour to be in celebration of WREKage or do we want to shell out the money to fly some bands to Atlanta for a one-off date?

Someone like say, Arsis, would be good and fairly cheap, but how many people would come out to see them since they're here every other month? Same thing even goes for a big Atlanta band like Mastodon.

It would be cool to have some bands on the bill who have been WREKage supporters like Daath or From Exile, but it would also be neat to have a certain special value to the show so people would want to come out and not have them make the decision of "why should I see them now when I can see them again in two weeks?" Maybe a reunion show for a local Atlanta metal band who has had some part in WREKage history? I don't really know all that much about the Atlanta scene outside the past 2 years that I've lived here so I can't be much help in that.

An all-day festival would be interesting and could showcase a lot of different styles that WREKage has been promoting over the years. We could have black, death, thrash, power, etc and then top it off with a national headliner or two.

Ecrypt

Post by Ecrypt » Sat March 29th, 2008, 4:21 pm

Brian wrote:Maybe a reunion show for a local Atlanta metal band who has had some part in WREKage history? I don't really know all that much about the Atlanta scene outside the past 2 years that I've lived here so I can't be much help in that.
I know plenty of folks that would kill to see Signs of Dying one more time. Weren't 2 of those guys WREK DJs?
WREKage is responsible to introducing me to most of my favorite bands for 15 years now, so I'd personally volunteer to help something cool like this happen.

Metalfreak

Post by Metalfreak » Tue April 8th, 2008, 1:49 pm

Ecrypt wrote:
Brian wrote:Maybe a reunion show for a local Atlanta metal band who has had some part in WREKage history? I don't really know all that much about the Atlanta scene outside the past 2 years that I've lived here so I can't be much help in that.
I know plenty of folks that would kill to see Signs of Dying one more time. Weren't 2 of those guys WREK DJs?
WREKage is responsible to introducing me to most of my favorite bands for 15 years now, so I'd personally volunteer to help something cool like this happen.
I'm interested too! Yeah, it was also WREKage that introduced me to so many bands I love.

I haven't gotten to listen to wrekage hardly at all since the slot got moved to midnight from 10pm. Kinda sucks.

Anyways, this sounds like a cool idea. 8)
They had you do a drug test and the forgot to test for drugs???

necroodin

Post by necroodin » Fri June 27th, 2008, 9:05 am

I'd kill to see signs of dying again, the one time i did was badass

DeathfareDevil

Post by DeathfareDevil » Sat June 28th, 2008, 9:40 pm

Ecrypt wrote:I know plenty of folks that would kill to see Signs of Dying one more time. Weren't 2 of those guys WREK DJs?
Yeah, wasn't that Sam and Jonathan? Or one of them? I heard they became born again and abandoned the whole metal thing. But then, I think I "heard" that ... on the internet.

Brian
WREKage Staff

Post by Brian » Sun June 29th, 2008, 9:04 pm

DeathfareDevil wrote:
Ecrypt wrote:I know plenty of folks that would kill to see Signs of Dying one more time. Weren't 2 of those guys WREK DJs?
Yeah, wasn't that Sam and Jonathan? Or one of them? I heard they became born again and abandoned the whole metal thing. But then, I think I "heard" that ... on the internet.
That's what it says on Metal-Archives, but who knows if that's actually true.

Anyway, we haven't really started doing anything at all yet. Planning will most likely start once school is back in session since Mitch and I don't live in Atlanta right now.

WREKage-Paul
WREKage Staff

Post by WREKage-Paul » Sun February 22nd, 2009, 3:53 am

Bumping this, since it's a good idea and deserves a fresh airing. I just hope we haven't missed THE day. If anyone knows what THE first day for WREKage was..... :)

BTW, I can confirm that Sam and Jonathan both "found God." I was talking to Zane/Matt from Abwhore/Oneflesh/Halcyon Way earlier tonight about this, in fact.

Sometimes it takes going to one extreme to flip to the other.

Metalfreak

Post by Metalfreak » Sun February 22nd, 2009, 6:55 pm

you know, wrekage has been on air longer than I've been alive :lol:

I know this is in the wrekage part but a few weeks ago I found out that my show is 10 years old. pretty cool! 8)

lately I've been able to listen to some of wrekage cause I can stay up late now...I am all for 25 hours of metal!
They had you do a drug test and the forgot to test for drugs???

WREKage-Paul
WREKage Staff

Post by WREKage-Paul » Mon February 23rd, 2009, 12:25 am

Metalfreak wrote:you know, wrekage has been on air longer than I've been alive :lol:
I've been getting emails and MySpace comments from people who say that they've literally grown up with WREKage, that the show has seriously helped define their musical taste and (somehow) improved their lives. It's a pretty cool feeling to get those.
I know this is in the wrekage part but a few weeks ago I found out that my show is 10 years old. pretty cool! 8)
That is cool! Right around now marks my ten-year anniversary as an official WREKage community host...although I was hanging around the studio for a few years before then. Tim goes back farther, but he took a sabbatical (or something) for a while at one point, so I guess his isn't continuous.
lately I've been able to listen to some of wrekage cause I can stay up late now...I am all for 25 hours of metal!
I'd settle for 24. :)