themed shows

discuss the radio show WREKage

Moderators: Brian, Metalfreak, MS_39455, WREKage Staff

Greg
WREKage Staff

Post by Greg » Wed November 3rd, 2004, 11:52 pm

So you may or may not have noticed that every now and then a combination of inspiration and boredom strikes me, and I'll come up with some theme for my playlists. One night I played all cover songs, one night I played all instrumentals, last friday I played all Halloween songs except for requests, etc.

Are there any themes any of you would like for me to explore? To give you an example of what I may do soon, I was thinking of playing songs from bands A-Z, playing only bands and songs that have "blood" in their name, playing connect-the-dots with band members tracing their movement from former bands to current bands, playing stuff from just Atlanta-area bands only, and so on.

...why I feel like doing this I have no idea, I just think it's a nice change of pace from "that was band x we play every week, here's a song from band y we play every week" before and after every song. So tell me, should I keep trying to spice up my part of the show from time to time or just give up and just keep pushing my buttons when I'm on the air?

BoB

Post by BoB » Thu November 4th, 2004, 12:02 am

Considering the current events, I'll suggest a theme of consipiracy, government control, lies, propoganda, control of the masses, etc. There's a hefty amount of metal covering those topics.

Fn Dan

Post by Fn Dan » Thu November 4th, 2004, 1:17 pm

Considering the air conditioning is out on the second floor of the Student Center Commons, maybe you should do a show about how hot the studio is. Throw in lots of songs that mention the fires of hell, or just hell in general.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Thu November 4th, 2004, 4:32 pm

How about an opening track theme eventually?

If you decide to go with the liberal political theme make sure you play Nevermore's "Inside four walls". I agree with that song atleast...

AmoebicDysentery

Post by AmoebicDysentery » Fri November 5th, 2004, 9:34 pm

Bands that have "flesh" in the name..

Songs/bands with "satan" or some reference to satan in the song title.

Songs/bands with some reference to the female genitals.

Different bands with a common member (ex. Dave Witte)

Songs that don't suck!

Death

Post by Death » Sat November 6th, 2004, 12:03 pm

Considering that everyone is going to die someday, how bout a themed show of death or grim reaper and purgetory. I like the themed shows myself. Then the shows have some individuality and uniqueness that arent just a bunch of random songs thrown into the hours.

Greg
WREKage Staff

Post by Greg » Sun November 7th, 2004, 11:28 pm

Thanks for the ideas everyone, I'll see what I can come up with over the next few weeks.

WREKage-Paul
WREKage Staff

Post by WREKage-Paul » Wed November 10th, 2004, 5:47 am

"And now, songs from bands who have a grim reaper on the cover of all of their CDs except one......and then AFTER Children of Bodom....." :o :lol:

(We noticed a certain scything similarity last week.....)

I think if the A.C. isn't fixed by next week we should play an hour of songs by.....A.C. In the hope that maybe it will invoke the A.C. to start running again. :3y3s:
Community host for WREKage
www.wrekage.org
Friday night, midnight 'til we get tired, 91.1 FM

Greg
WREKage Staff

Post by Greg » Wed November 10th, 2004, 1:55 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-bobnoxious+Nov 4 2004, 02:02 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bobnoxious &#064; Nov 4 2004, 02:02 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Considering the current events, I'll suggest a theme of consipiracy, government control, lies, propoganda, control of the masses, etc.&nbsp; There's a hefty amount of metal covering those topics. [/quote]
Yeah, we could do an entire Wrekage on this topic alone.

I picked a few songs in this vein for this week's show, you'll all have to tune in and see. :ch41n:

DarkWolfen

Post by DarkWolfen » Tue December 7th, 2004, 6:00 am

What if you did nationality blocks? Like all these groups are from like some unique obscure places like Hungary or Denmark or whatever. That would show the audience what the metal is that comes out of those places sound like. :sm0k3:

Just an idea.

NP:Metallica-Welcome Home (Sanitarium)

Greg
WREKage Staff

Post by Greg » Tue December 7th, 2004, 10:32 am

<!--QuoteBegin-DarkWolfen+Dec 7 2004, 06:00 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (DarkWolfen @ Dec 7 2004, 06:00 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> What if you did nationality blocks? Like all these groups are from like some unique obscure places like Hungary or Denmark or whatever. That would show the audience what the metal is that comes out of those places sound like. :sm0k3:

Just an idea.

NP:Metallica-Welcome Home (Sanitarium) [/quote]
I did something like that on the show where I had to pass my test to become an official member of WREK - I called it the metal world tour show and played bands from like 10-15 different countries.

That was way back when we were only going til 2 am, sometime in May I think.

DarkWolfen

Post by DarkWolfen » Tue December 7th, 2004, 7:13 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Greg+Dec 7 2004, 10:32 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Greg @ Dec 7 2004, 10:32 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> That was way back when we were only going til 2 am, sometime in May I think. [/quote]
Going til 2am, seems like so long ago. I can't believe it was that short of a show for so long myself.

Glad it changed, though it was great when it going until 8 but, things do change and not always for the better. :m1c:

WREKage-Paul
WREKage Staff

Post by WREKage-Paul » Wed December 8th, 2004, 3:51 am

Although it was kinda cool to be going until 8am (getting phone calls from listeners saying "Dude, I fell asleep listening to Slayer at 1am, and now you're playing them when I woke up at 7!" is pretty neet).........6am is late enough. I'd like to be awake on Saturdays before, say, 3pm. :lol: I'd hate to start missing my Internet radio show, which starts at 6pm. :o
www.wrekage.org

DarkWolfen

Post by DarkWolfen » Wed December 8th, 2004, 3:44 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-WREKage-Paul+Dec 8 2004, 03:51 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (WREKage-Paul @ Dec 8 2004, 03:51 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Although it was kinda cool to be going until 8am (getting phone calls from listeners saying "Dude, I fell asleep listening to Slayer at 1am, and now you're playing them when I woke up at 7!" is pretty neet).........6am is late enough. I'd like to be awake on Saturdays before, say, 3pm. :lol: I'd hate to start missing my Internet radio show, which starts at 6pm. :o [/quote]
I seem to remember your online radio show about 2 hours after its over every single weekend. :o

WREKage-Paul
WREKage Staff

Post by WREKage-Paul » Sun December 12th, 2004, 3:28 am

<!--QuoteBegin-DarkWolfen+Dec 8 2004, 04:44 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (DarkWolfen @ Dec 8 2004, 04:44 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I seem to remember your online radio show about 2 hours after its over every single weekend. :o [/quote]
Missed it today, too, fewl. :)

New schedule:

Sat. 6pm-9pm
Sunday 4pm-6pm

Another guy is taking over at 9pm on Saturdays, but not until January. (He plays much more brutal stuff.)

www.wrekage.org