Friday's show

discuss the radio show WREKage

Moderators: Brian, Metalfreak, MS_39455, WREKage Staff

DarkWolfen

Post by DarkWolfen » Sun December 5th, 2004, 9:21 pm

Friday's show (12/3) what a great ecclectic show. There were alot of songs that I hadn't heard before on the show. I had gone absent from the show for a few weeks but the quality of shows like Friday's and last week's show are bringing me back to listening to the show more. :m3t4l:

It was an almost all requests show, the most requests I have ever seen on the show (only 2 by me HA!) Between many listeners and requesting things that the station had it was very entertaining. :b0unc3y:

Paul, we talked about telepathy the night before but Tim had it on Friday night I had either these 2 bands in my mind Carnivore and The Misfits. So I made a decision before I called. There's has always been a dispute about what songs of Carnivore the show has. Without going through one of those kind of things I told Tim to play whatever Carnivore song the station has I don't care. Funny thing is I didn't care what Misfits song either, but he didn't know that. And what band did he put on...The Misfits...Weird... :3y3s:

I only had 2 complaints, the most obvious ones...and are inter-connected.

This complaint comes with advice...DO NOT do what Holly and "Joker" did last friday night! Playing songs that were obviously out of format just to annoy the audience. Playing the fuckin cover songs, <cough> not an original idea. Greg on the last show in July had that idea and it was far more entertaining than Holly's "attempt" that was not cute or fun, but annoying. I cannot be the only one that thinks that either. Everything after Kaiowas is a tortured blur. :ch41n:

My other complaint is that because of Holly and "Joker"'s antics that more creative DJs are pushed to the end of the show to squeeze in their sets. :FU:

But overall I would give this show and last week's a 8.5 out of 10. :ch33rs:

Greg
WREKage Staff

Post by Greg » Mon December 6th, 2004, 1:07 pm

We actually had a lot of people either call or IM us and say that last week's show was the best one in a while. I'm guessing it's because of the volume of requests that we played, which happened because I got up to the board for my set ready to go with an entirely different playlist than what I played, but I left it at home. So since I had no idea what to play I just grabbed the request sheet and played it. You can thank my absent-mindedness later. :D

Let me explain what happened with Holly's set: earlier in the week she and I had talked about playing some stuff that was funny on the show, but I think we interpreted it in two different ways. I was gonna go through and find a song here and there to sprinkle in with what I normally play, and I was gonna play stuff that I still thought was good even though it might have been intentionally goofy, stuff like Fintroll or Crotch Duster or Dick Delicious or Abscess, I even toyed with the idea of making "the world's longest playlist" and playing through a bunch of 5-10 second grindcore songs one right after the other (which I still think is funny and I might do one day). She wound up wanting to do like a whole hour or longer of stuff that was laughably bad, which I think she saw in hindsight was a very bad idea.

On thursday all the student hosts met in the studio to try and dig up some funny stuff, we found a lot of crazy shit but not much of anything that was safe to play on the show. I told Holly Friday on our way to the studio that I wasn't going to do it since I hadn't found enough things good or safe to play, she told me she had already planned out what to play.

While I think the idea could have been good, the execution of it was... a little bit off to put it nicely. I think it wound up going on too long and the stuff wound up being a little too bad. If it had been more spread out inbetween songs I think it would have come off a little better, but hearing it all at once was too much.

I think we'll all consider it a lesson learned. :t01l3t:

DarkWolfen

Post by DarkWolfen » Mon December 6th, 2004, 3:19 pm

Thanks for taking the time for the explanation, Greg. B)

slowfinger

Post by slowfinger » Tue December 7th, 2004, 12:47 am

thanks for the ion dissonance, i believe that song is called THE BUD DWYER EFFECT, not Failure in the process of identifying a dream (which is also a killer tune)

keep up the good work.

WREKage-Paul
WREKage Staff

Post by WREKage-Paul » Tue December 7th, 2004, 5:35 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Greg+Dec 6 2004, 02:07 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Greg @ Dec 6 2004, 02:07 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I even toyed with the idea of making "the world's longest playlist" and playing through a bunch of 5-10 second grindcore songs one right after the other (which I still think is funny and I might do one day).
[/quote]
Wow. THAT'd be a challenge with only three CD players, and one set of fingers to keep the playlist updated. :D

Sometimes it can be a little restricting, playing, say, a 10-minute Opeth song, but hot damn, it gives you a chance to relax (and pull requests). :m3t4l:
Community host for WREKage
www.wrekage.org
Friday night, midnight 'til we get tired, 91.1 FM