WREK mentioned in "choosing death" book

discuss the radio show WREKage

Moderators: Brian, Metalfreak, MS_39455, WREKage Staff

AmoebicDysentery

WREK mentioned in "choosing death" book

Post by AmoebicDysentery » Tue April 5th, 2005, 10:54 pm

So, i'm reading this book called "Choosing Death: The Improbable History of Death Metal and Grindcore" and this was on page 146...

"Although record sales were rapidly rising, death metal and grindcore coverage in the mainstream press was still sparse. However, the communities had an invaluable friend in the inthe influential cmj music monthly magazine, whose extreme music coverage was spearheaded by Atlanta native and New York City transplant Kevin Sharp.

'Being in a situation I came from- a really hip radio station called WREK in Atlanta-they were willing to let me do what I wanted to do,' says Sharp of his CMJ editors. "I did a lot of really cool, weird shit, that when I look back on it now, I'm like 'how did I manage to sell that after pitching it?' Like, we got an Extreme Noise Terror track right next to a Mr. Big track on a radio sampler CD. I don't know if that could be down now."

Some of you might remember that Kevin Sharp was the vocalist for Brutal Truth. Pretty cool!

Greg
WREKage Staff

Post by Greg » Wed April 6th, 2005, 8:12 am

That's awesome, I had no idea he used to be around here.

Was he around back when you were a student Bob?

BoB

Post by BoB » Wed April 6th, 2005, 8:45 am

must have been before my time. Ask Jon Kincaid - he'll give you the complete scoop.

WREKage-Paul
WREKage Staff

Post by WREKage-Paul » Thu April 7th, 2005, 3:29 am

...with a wave and a smile!

--Not.