playing whole albums... what do you think?

discuss the radio show WREKage

Moderators: Brian, Metalfreak, MS_39455, WREKage Staff

Greg
WREKage Staff

Post by Greg » Wed July 14th, 2004, 8:29 pm

For how we're running the show right now chunks of an album spread out over the whole show would probably be the best bet.

We could make exceptions for stuff like a new album in Holly's case, or any other new album any of us want to play. If we did play an album straight through from start to finish I'd like to keep that to a minimum, no more than say once a month. Chunks of an album feel free to play whenever, since we now have plenty of time for that.

DarkWolfen

Post by DarkWolfen » Thu July 15th, 2004, 4:02 am

Well, being the only non-host or administrator to post it seems, I would say a whole album? Nah. That would be a token for me to go to bed early. Unless maybe you played Dreaming Neon Black, maybe the Ayeron new album, but wait a sec. What if you played the whole album if it was a new album. Like once a month, like on the BoB interval weeks, play the album that is new from a particular band. So if you followed that, then there would be 12 albums full albums, in 12 months. Well that has some promise, but what the hell, who is complaining about the show now? This is like the third post I have seen about changing or trying something new for the show. I don't have any complaints about the block format, and playing full albums should be kept to what the fans as a whole want to hear, because we are ones that have to either sit through it or chose to tune out the show that week or so. I don't know who is complaining but it isn't me. :m3t4l:

Greg
WREKage Staff

Post by Greg » Thu July 15th, 2004, 8:21 pm

There aren't any complaints as far as I know, I just wanted to try something different.

I think what works best with what we're doing now is playing chunks of albums 2-3 songs at a time over the course of the full show. I'll figure out a way to incorporate it into the show when I see an album I want to play.

DarkWolfen

Post by DarkWolfen » Fri July 16th, 2004, 7:16 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Greg+Jul 15 2004, 08:21 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Greg @ Jul 15 2004, 08:21 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> There aren't any complaints as far as I know, I just wanted to try something different.

I think what works best with what we're doing now is playing chunks of albums 2-3 songs at a time over the course of the full show. I'll figure out a way to incorporate it into the show when I see an album I want to play. [/quote]
Well Allah loves variety I guess.:ph34r:

bid

Post by bid » Fri July 16th, 2004, 10:18 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-DarkWolfen+Jul 16 2004, 08:16 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (DarkWolfen @ Jul 16 2004, 08:16 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Well Allah loves variety I guess.:ph34r: [/quote]
Nah. only we like it :P
bidyut

DarkWolfen

Post by DarkWolfen » Sat July 17th, 2004, 2:18 am

<!--QuoteBegin-bid+Jul 16 2004, 10:18 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bid @ Jul 16 2004, 10:18 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <!--QuoteBegin-DarkWolfen+Jul 16 2004, 08:16 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (DarkWolfen &#064; Jul 16 2004, 08:16 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Well Allah loves variety I guess.:ph34r: [/quote]
Nah. only we like it :P [/quote]
That saying used to not insult people. But hey I'm not a Muslim so, I could be insulting them for all I know. :lol: :3v1l:

WREKage-Paul
WREKage Staff

Post by WREKage-Paul » Sun July 18th, 2004, 3:27 am

<!--QuoteBegin-bid+Jul 14 2004, 06:48 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bid &#064; Jul 14 2004, 06:48 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->The trick with playing an album tho is knowning that song. It helps. We have to keep in mind that we don't trick off the labels too, that would mean no new stuff for us. Previously I know someone was shocked when Paul mentioned that I played Green carnation over the radio. Their concern was that, it had 1 song in that CD (Light of day, day of darkness) and do anyone could have just copied it off and blah blah.
[/quote]

Yep, and I'll get back to that in a bit.
What we did tho, at the slowest part, we did a station ID, that way people who taped it still probably did it. But we also know that they got it from us. Just is case we have issues.
I did exactly the same thing last night when I played Light of Day, Day of Darkness, I overtalked the quiet part. Not so much for copyright issues (although that was a factor) but to remind the listeners of what was going on. :)
Also the thing works for songs that wears too. I have played Children of Bodom songs that swore in the chorus, but I knew the song well enough to blunt out the swears over air. In fact, I think that particular night, I listened to the song 10 times as I liked it so much and I wanted to play it. And then I went, ignored everyone and played the song while censoring out as required. It's a trip tho. It's fun.
That was probably "Hate Me!" I'm in awe. I love the song but that would be some quick editing with the cue button. :)

I was kinda proud of my editing on SYL's "Far Beyond Mmmmetalllll" two Fridays ago. I wish I'd gone back and listened to that part of the archive; I think I nailed it. :b4ldm3t4l: ("why don't you _____ eat ______" :o )
Going back to the full album thing, I'd say keep it as an option. There are stuff there that sometimes are just so cool. Forexample, I would have loved to play the entire Tribute of the Beast, but then I weighed playing the whole CD one week and not playing anything form it for a few weeks... against playing something different from it every week. Tough choice... but the later won with me. But then again I did play both Edge of Sanity and Green Carnation.
Which Edge of Sanity did you play?

One thing we must NOT do, is play CDs in their entirety all at once if they are new.

Labels send us new CDs now. Pretty cool of them.

They'll stop sending us CDs the moment they saw we're playing new CDs over the air. Hell, I'd stop, too. :m0nk3yp33:

Breaking up a new CD and playing it in bits is probably cool, though. :b4ldm3t4l:

Community host for WREKage
www.wrekage.org
Friday night, midnight 'til we get tired, 91.1 FM

Greg
WREKage Staff

Post by Greg » Sun July 18th, 2004, 11:02 pm

Playing the whole thing spread out over the whole show sounds like it would be fine to me. MTV-type bands play bits of their whole album on like a cd-release party type show they have, we should be able to do the same thing, either playing bits and pieces of the whole album or just the best cuts off of it.

I think what would work best as far as playing whole albums is to play longer stuff like we did last friday on slower shows where it fits the mood. I think that was great timing to slip Green Carnation in there. When we get new albums worth playing we can just play the best tracks spread out over the course of the show, and if it happens to be all of them so be it. In the future I would like to occasionally play entire "classic" albums, such as a legendary metal band's debut album or their final album. For example, Cryptopsy's None So Vile album is in my opinion the best death metal album ever made, and it's just over 32 minutes long, so I'd love to play it in its entirety some night. I realize it's neither their debut or their final album but it's a classic in my eyes, and in the vein of what I'm thinking of in terms of palying whole albums.

Alright... you've tricked me into admitting I watch MTV sometimes. I lose. :(

bid

Post by bid » Mon July 19th, 2004, 9:32 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-WREKage-Paul+Jul 18 2004, 04:26 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (WREKage-Paul @ Jul 18 2004, 04:26 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <!--QuoteBegin-bid+Jul 14 2004, 06:48 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bid &#064; Jul 14 2004, 06:48 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Also the thing works for songs that wears too. I have played Children of Bodom songs that swore in the chorus, but I knew the song well enough to blunt out the swears over air. In fact, I think that particular night, I listened to the song 10 times as I liked it so much and I wanted to play it. And then I went, ignored everyone and played the song while censoring out as required. It's a trip tho. It's fun.
[/quote]

That was probably "Hate Me!" I'm in awe. I love the song but that would be some quick editing with the cue button. :)
[/quote]
Actually it was "better off dead"
bidyut

DarkWolfen

Post by DarkWolfen » Thu July 22nd, 2004, 12:45 pm

How much of Death's Design is left? I really dug Paul's Green Carnation the other week. It was better than I thought it would be! :m3t4l:

Fn Dan

Post by Fn Dan » Fri July 23rd, 2004, 12:12 am

On Diabolical Masquerade's "Death's Design", we have Movements 12-20 remaining. Unfortunately, we will not hear any this week though, because the entire WREKage catalog is in the new studio, while we will be in the old one. Personal collections only this week.

DarkWolfen

Post by DarkWolfen » Fri July 23rd, 2004, 12:44 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Fn Dan+Jul 23 2004, 12:12 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Fn Dan @ Jul 23 2004, 12:12 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> On Diabolical Masquerade's "Death's Design", we have Movements 12-20 remaining. Unfortunately, we will not hear any this week though, because the entire WREKage catalog is in the new studio, while we will be in the old one. Personal collections only this week. [/quote]
Uh oh, I worry about my requests this week. :huh:

DarkWolfen

Post by DarkWolfen » Fri July 23rd, 2004, 6:46 pm

Oh and I had reason to worry from what Dan told me earlier.

WREKage-Paul
WREKage Staff

Post by WREKage-Paul » Mon August 9th, 2004, 5:41 am

<!--QuoteBegin-DarkWolfen+Jul 22 2004, 01:45 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (DarkWolfen @ Jul 22 2004, 01:45 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> How much of Death's Design is left? I really dug Paul's Green Carnation the other week. It was better than I thought it would be! :m3t4l: [/quote]
Cool, glad to hear someone was listening and liked it. :D

Community host for WREKage
www.wrekage.org
Friday night, midnight 'til we get tired, 91.1 FM