playing whole albums... what do you think?

discuss the radio show WREKage

Moderators: Brian, Metalfreak, MS_39455, WREKage Staff

Greg
WREKage Staff

Post by Greg » Tue July 13th, 2004, 4:51 pm

Right now us hosts are tossing around the idea of possibly playing whole albums on the show at some later time like around 4 a.m. or so. They used to do this on the show back in the mid 90's, and it's something I'd like to bring back. We'd do it once a month or once every few weeks as a special treat for everyone.

What do you guys think? Sound good?

holly
WREKage Staff

Post by holly » Tue July 13th, 2004, 9:51 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Greg+Jul 13 2004, 04:50 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Greg &#064; Jul 13 2004, 04:50 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Right now us hosts are tossing around the idea of possibly playing whole albums on the show at some later time like around 4 a.m. or so. They used to do this on the show back in the mid 90's, and it's something I'd like to bring back. We'd do it once a month or once every few weeks as a special treat for everyone.

What do you guys think? Sound good? [/quote]
I'm doing it when I get a legal copy of the new Converge album.
I think Tim or Paul had suggested it to me a couple months ago.

WREKage-Paul
WREKage Staff

Post by WREKage-Paul » Wed July 14th, 2004, 3:59 am

I'm sitting here with Tim reading over my shoulder. Neither he or I ever suggested playing the whole Converge album.

Tim doesn't think we should play any whole albums.

I'm not averse to the idea, but we've had such a large number of requests that it wouldn't be a service to our listeners to defer requests for a whole hour or so while we played a whole CD. I'd thought of playing all of Green Carnation's Light of Day, Day of Darkness, but we've had so many requests, even late at night, that I didn't think it would be appropriate.
Community host for WREKage
www.wrekage.org
Friday night, midnight 'til we get tired, 91.1 FM

Greg
WREKage Staff

Post by Greg » Wed July 14th, 2004, 9:13 am

I was thinking if we set it for a specific hour each time then people would eventually figure out we'd hold off on requests until the album was over.

There are plenty of death metal albums that run in the 35-40 minute range we could zip through, that wouldn't be too long a time to wait for requests. That Edge of Sanity album you want to play is that long too isn't it?

Say we ran it at 2 a.m. every first friday of the month or so. We'd do requests up til then, then backlog them and do the ones we get during the album right after it. I don't think it would be that big a deal if we let our listeners know from the start of the show what we're doing and keep announcing it up until we play an album. The key is letting them know the whole time that we're planning on playing a whole album at 2 a.m. so they know if they want to request something they should do it early.

holly
WREKage Staff

Post by holly » Wed July 14th, 2004, 9:35 am

<!--QuoteBegin-WREKage-Paul+Jul 14 2004, 03:59 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (WREKage-Paul @ Jul 14 2004, 03:59 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I'm sitting here with Tim reading over my shoulder. Neither he or I ever suggested playing the whole Converge album.

Tim doesn't think we should play any whole albums.

I'm not averse to the idea, but we've had such a large number of requests that it wouldn't be a service to our listeners to defer requests for a whole hour or so while we played a whole CD. I'd thought of playing all of Green Carnation's Light of Day, Day of Darkness, but we've had so many requests, even late at night, that I didn't think it would be appropriate. [/quote]
Someone said it to me.
Maybe it was BoB in that case.
And it's 35 minutes long.

BoB

Post by BoB » Wed July 14th, 2004, 11:26 am

I didn't say it...

as far as interfering w/ requests: I disagree. The ultimate decision is up to the student hosts, but my opinion is to have a direction for the show. That may mean playing particular bands that you want to highlight instead of "this next one is Nevermore - going out from Satan to Lucifer" (which you'll hear every week [perhaps Slayer instead of Nevermore but that's about all the variety from that regular source]). I'd rather hear a well thought out show - described in a food metaphor, the host selects a tastey main course/special-of-the-week and the requests make up the side dishes. yummy! otherwise you'll have a diet of only fries...

If you decide to do the albums, I wouldn't necessarily hide them in the wee hours of the morning. If you're playing an entire album to highlight it, then play it during prime hours. If you're playing an entire album to pass time, then do it at 4:30am.

It's up to the students - I now disappear :ph34r:

Fn Dan

Post by Fn Dan » Wed July 14th, 2004, 12:05 pm

I'm definitely an advocate of a well thought out show. At the same time, playing requests is a good way of keeping listeners. It's really a balance. Last week, I tried to mix up the requests, meaning that, I would try to alternate styles as best as I could, instead of simply playing the songs in the order they were requested. If I had played 2-3 songs in a row that were pretty brutal, I'd try to play a request that was more melodic or had clean vocals. The requests were surprisingly diverse in their styles, everything from Iron Maiden to Internal Bleeding.

Yes, the "Satan" requests are kinda getting old. Funny you should mention Nevermore and Slayer, because she requested both last Friday. I might suggest this Friday her choosing another of her favorite bands. Oh yeah, what is up with the Nevermore requests? In the time I've been on the show, they seem to be the most requested band. From the one time I saw them at the Masquerade, there didn't seem to be that many hardcore fans in the audience... <_<

As for playing whole albums, I'm a bit conflicted. Yes, it would be pretty cool to do, but, which albums would we highlight? How would we choose which albums are worthy of being played in their entirety on the show? It just seems to me, if we start "highlighting" entire albums, we'd be opening the door to having a hard time choosing when and not to do it. I'm sure each host could name a couple of new albums that they think are worthy of being played on the show. How would we decide what to play? Right now, I'm playing the entire Diabolical Masquerade album "Death's Design" on the show, but I'm doing it a little every week. That might be an idea to consider. I've been doing the same with the new Therion and Ayreon albums as well. Playing a song or two from the new albums, also helps promote the bands newer material as well, instead of us playing the older, "classic" stuff. Playing an entire album really does seem like a cool idea, I just don't know how we would decide which albums would receive the honor.

BoB

Post by BoB » Wed July 14th, 2004, 12:24 pm

I'd say you're worrying about it too much. If you choose to play albums, you don't have to do so at regular intervals. Maybe just do it when it makes sense. Maybe there's a cool concept album which comes across better as the complete album rather than a collection of songs fragmented over various shows. Or maybe you want to correlate to something else relevant - an upcoming concert, a new band, etc. I think Greg was just inquiring about whether it's an option. Options are good.

Greg
WREKage Staff

Post by Greg » Wed July 14th, 2004, 12:42 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-bob+Jul 14 2004, 01:24 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bob @ Jul 14 2004, 01:24 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I think Greg was just inquiring about whether it's an option. Options are good. [/quote]
Yeah, more or less. I remember reading in that op guidebook thing about them not wanting us to play long 30 minute jam sessions etc., but I'm figuring out that most of those rules don't apply to us. :m3t4l:

It's definitely something I plan on doing in the near future, probably not this week though. I'll find a way to get it to fit into the flow of the show.

holly
WREKage Staff

Post by holly » Wed July 14th, 2004, 5:24 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-bob+Jul 14 2004, 12:24 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bob @ Jul 14 2004, 12:24 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I'd say you're worrying about it too much. If you choose to play albums, you don't have to do so at regular intervals. Maybe just do it when it makes sense. Maybe there's a cool concept album which comes across better as the complete album rather than a collection of songs fragmented over various shows. Or maybe you want to correlate to something else relevant - an upcoming concert, a new band, etc. I think Greg was just inquiring about whether it's an option. Options are good. [/quote]
Exactly.
Converge is my favourite band, the album comes out mid-October, and they are playing here at the end of September.

If it wasn't you that said it, then shit, maybe it was Alex (DiFiore) because he and I talked a lot about stuff like that, and he knew I was excited about it. I really do think it still could have been Tim that said it, though.

So yeah, I agree that it should "make sense." For occasions, or something like that. Considering the release I want to play is coming from one of the biggest and most relevant bands in hardcore, and because they are playing here soon, I think it's appropriate.

This does have the potential to get a little out of control, though.
I know that a lot of my stuff I couldn't play all of anyway, due to language and whatnot.

bid

Post by bid » Wed July 14th, 2004, 5:48 pm

The trick with playing an album tho is knowning that song. It helps. We have to keep in mind that we don't trick off the labels too, that would mean no new stuff for us. Previously I know someone was shocked when Paul mentioned that I played Green carnation over the radio. Their concern was that, it had 1 song in that CD (Light of day, day of darkness) and do anyone could have just copied it off and blah blah.

What we did tho, at the slowest part, we did a station ID, that way people who taped it still probably did it. But we also know that they got it from us. Just is case we have issues.

Also the thing works for songs that wears too. I have played Children of Bodom songs that swore in the chorus, but I knew the song well enough to blunt out the swears over air. In fact, I think that particular night, I listened to the song 10 times as I liked it so much and I wanted to play it. And then I went, ignored everyone and played the song while censoring out as required. It's a trip tho. It's fun.

Going back to the full album thing, I'd say keep it as an option. There are stuff there that sometimes are just so cool. Forexample, I would have loved to play the entire Tribute of the Beast, but then I weighed playing the whole CD one week and not playing anything form it for a few weeks... against playing something different from it every week. Tough choice... but the later won with me. But then again I did play both Edge of Sanity and Green Carnation.

So really, it's all a matter of what goes with the show.
bidyut

Fn Dan

Post by Fn Dan » Wed July 14th, 2004, 5:53 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-ho!!y+Jul 14 2004, 06:23 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ho!!y &#064; Jul 14 2004, 06:23 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->This does have the potential to get a little out of control, though.[/quote]
That is the point I was concerned with. I didn't want, everytime a new album that comes out which is really good, for us to be wondering if we should play the entire album. Reserve playing entire albums for "special occasions", or, when it "makes sense." ;)

Greg
WREKage Staff

Post by Greg » Wed July 14th, 2004, 6:09 pm

Ok, so what I'm thinking right now is either 1) play entire "classic" albums, albums that were like landmark releases in the metal scene, debut or final albums from legendary bands, etc. or 2) playing new albums as they come in if it's a band that one of us is really pumped up for or something.

The new albums thing could potentially be a problem since there will be times that artists we really like put out new albums at the same time. Whenever the new Lamb of God album comes out I'm definitely gonna want to play that, or maybe we could play chunks of albums over the course of the show.

I personally like the idea of playing an entire "classic" album from time to time, I don't think labels would mind us doing that. Newer albums I'm not so sure how they'd feel.

Hell, maybe we should just do one show where we all pick a full album and play it, haha.

bid

Post by bid » Wed July 14th, 2004, 6:18 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Greg+Jul 14 2004, 07:09 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Greg @ Jul 14 2004, 07:09 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Hell, maybe we should just do one show where we all pick a full album and play it, haha. [/quote]
Now that shold be a lotta fun.
bidyut

Fn Dan

Post by Fn Dan » Wed July 14th, 2004, 7:02 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Greg+Jul 14 2004, 07:09 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Greg @ Jul 14 2004, 07:09 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> or maybe we could play chunks of albums over the course of the show [/quote]
I really like this idea. We could play a song or two per hour, until the album is finished. This way, we can still maintain the diversity of the show, take requests, and generally interact with our listeners. Also, if someone can't tune in during the particular time we were going to hear the whole album(say we were going to play it at 11), they would be instead able to hear a song or two, whenever they tuned in. Another issue might be, not all our listeners may not want to hear an entire album of a particular artist. As we've noticed, no matter how much someone may claim to love metal, there is some type they don't particulary like. If we spread out the albums throughout the course of the show, we won't be "blocking" the show. I think it might also keep people tuned into the show a bit longer. If it's an album someone really wants to hear, they will end up sticking around to hear it all, or a lot of it. In the process, we will be able to expose them to a lot of bands they might not hear otherwise.