WREKage format

discuss the radio show WREKage

Moderators: Brian, Metalfreak, MS_39455, WREKage Staff

AmoebicDysentery

Post by AmoebicDysentery » Sat July 24th, 2004, 4:57 pm

Well, I guess there goes the whole "diversity" idea, unless diversity means only whatever Dan likes.

Greg
WREKage Staff

Post by Greg » Sat July 24th, 2004, 7:43 pm

We had more repeats last night because we didn't have the catalog available, it's as simple as that.

After Paul left around 4 am, that meant 4 hours of playing stuff only I or Daniel had because we were the only two left in the studio. I played literally every single cd I brought with me last night (36 of them), and even wound up having to borrow a few from Daniel plus three that I got from Paul before he left.

It was a 10 hour show, we'd have been hard pressed to play no repeats over the course of it because all our collections overlap (especially mine and Daniel's). Furthermore, it's gonna seem slanted here that we're against playing grind because about a quarter of the members here on this forum are in grindcore bands, and of course they're gonna pump us to play more grind. I have a couple of gore/grind albums (Exhumed and Caedere, both of which I played, and Aborted, which I forgot to bring with me because I left it in my cd player at home), and a couple of other grind albums (Nasum, which I played, and Circle of Dead Children), but it's hard to find something to play off them because the songs are usually 15-20 seconds long and 50% of the time all I hear is noise instead of music worth playing on the air. We could have kept Paul's cd's and played a hundred different obscure prog bands to make sure we had no repeats but that would have made me and probably all our listeners not named Paul unhappy. At this point I've realized I'm not gonna make all our listeners happy, all I can do is try my best to help make a good show. And considering what we had to work with I'd say it was a good show.

It will make you happy to hear that someone actually did call up last night and request some Amoebic Dysentery, but unfortunately we didn't have any to play. Unless it was one of you guys that called... :lol: I'd play more grind if I could find more good grind.

BoB

Post by BoB » Sat July 24th, 2004, 10:10 pm

If you're looking for Grind on the show though, you can forget it.
I'm disappointed to hear that. I really hope you guys can avoid getting into the style of playing only what you like. I think pretty much all hosts have gotten into that rut, myself included. People hear what you play now and think "shit, that's cool - finally they're playing something different". Well, that happens with every host when they start - no matter what they're a breath of fresh air (because the previous hosts played the same stuff). I guess one remedy would be to put a limit on the time span that you can host - like a boy band, 21 and you're out! More preferably you'll find some time in those 10 hours to play some different styles - I'm talking the dirtiest of grind and the gayest of gay power metal (actually it's not gay, it's just European - close enough tho... :P )

Don't get me wrong - I'm quite pleased with the show. So far I've only heard F'nDan's part of the show from 7/23 and thought it was really good. Tim's looks like every other weeks and I look forward to hearing Greg's set on the archive. I offer my advice to hopefully prevent things from getting stale. Keep up the good work!

Greg
WREKage Staff

Post by Greg » Sat July 24th, 2004, 10:27 pm

I'd play more of it in my sets if I knew any good grind to play because it definitely is a change of pace amongst genres. What I've heard of a lot of grind, the stuff just isn't playable on a radio show format, and I'd bet 99% of grind bands never intended for their stuff to be played on the radio in the first place. Some of it sounds cool all mashed together in one chaotic 20 minute album or so, but picking out little 15 second songs to play on a radio show seems like it wouldn't work out too good to me. I'll get Alex to recommend me some good grind next time I see him.

It's an interesting genre, no doubt about that, but it usually doesn't come across good on the radio due to length, subject matter, etc. in my opinion. Nasum is the best of the bands I've heard because they occasionally throw in a 2-3 minute song in the mix that sounds awesome.

BoB

Post by BoB » Sat July 24th, 2004, 10:40 pm

I'd play more of it in my sets if I knew any good ....
See, I think that's the trap. It's a noble goal but if you play only what's "good", well that's only what's good to you. Don't worry about good - just play some shit. I think it would be cool to have 30second grind songs mixed in between longer "traditional" songs. or a ballad followed by some grind. That's a fucking roller-coaster ride of sonic entertainment! The roller coaster's no fun if it's only at the high level - that's just the merry go round up high... or the tea-cups at best...

I always summarized WREK's philosophy as "don't play it if it's been on commercial radio". Well that leaves a shitload of possabilities and they're not all "extreme brutallity". btw: it was nice to not hear any manditory metallica this week!

Greg
WREKage Staff

Post by Greg » Sun July 25th, 2004, 1:07 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-bob+Jul 24 2004, 11:40 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bob @ Jul 24 2004, 11:40 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I think it would be cool to have 30second grind songs mixed in between longer "traditional" songs. [/quote]
Blast grind after Opeth song... check.

It will take me longer to type the name of the band and song into the playlist than it will to play most of the songs though. :b0unc3y:

Fn Dan

Post by Fn Dan » Sun July 25th, 2004, 5:36 pm

The point I really wanted to make with my orginial post is that, WREKage is no longer a grind show. I know there are some people that actually like grind, but, I think most you guys have your OWN bands anyway...turn off the radio and go rehearse. :m3t4l: If someone requests some grind, that we have in the cabinet, I will play it during my rotation. It will not, however, creep into my normal playlist though. I make a genuine effort to play my normal fair (read: wimp metal :wh4cky: ), death metal, and black metal. I know I didn't do it this past friday, but what I typically do is the following: I make out a playlist with my bands and I leave empty slots. In the empty slots, I insert death/black metal bands that we have in the cabinet. I like to play 2-3 songs maximum, in a row from the same style, and I like to alternate clean and non-clean vocals. That's how my playlists are created. Of course, however, I insert requests as they are taken, no matter what they are, as long as we have it.

mrjumping
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by mrjumping » Mon July 26th, 2004, 4:09 am

Dan, excluding a style of metal based on your tastes is really silly. People didn't stop listening to Wrekage because the playlists were brutal death and grind. People stopped listening to Wrekage when the format became ONLY brutal death and grind. In my opinion, the reason that Wrekage has been growing is because of the diveristy in the programming. I can guarantee you that you are going to lose listenership if you exclude these styles.

bid

Post by bid » Mon July 26th, 2004, 10:26 am

I say stick to the variety.. My taglines on any show promotion I made for WREK.. was "The most diverse college radio". I dunno if it was ever the official tagline. But I used to love it.
bidyut

Death

Post by Death » Mon July 26th, 2004, 11:53 am

<!--QuoteBegin-mrjumping+Jul 26 2004, 04:08 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (mrjumping @ Jul 26 2004, 04:08 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Dan, excluding a style of metal based on your tastes is really silly. People didn't stop listening to Wrekage because the playlists were brutal death and grind. People stopped listening to Wrekage when the format became ONLY brutal death and grind. In my opinion, the reason that Wrekage has been growing is because of the diveristy in the programming. I can guarantee you that you are going to lose listenership if you exclude these styles. [/quote]
F'n Paul has the most diverse styles.

Greg
WREKage Staff

Post by Greg » Mon July 26th, 2004, 12:54 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Fn Dan+Jul 25 2004, 06:36 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Fn Dan &#064; Jul 25 2004, 06:36 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I know there are some people that actually like grind, but, I think most you guys have your OWN bands anyway...turn off the radio and go rehearse. [/quote]
You do realize you are asking our listeners to stop listening to us here, don't you? :huh:

Why don't you let someone else feed you something to play in your "blank spots" on your playlist if you're doing it like that? Ask me or Alex for something brutal/heavy to slip inbetween your songs if you need something else to play, we'd be more than happy to help.

Fn Dan

Post by Fn Dan » Mon July 26th, 2004, 1:20 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Greg+Jul 26 2004, 01:53 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Greg @ Jul 26 2004, 01:53 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Why don't you let someone else feed you something to play in your "blank spots" on your playlist if you're doing it like that? Ask me or Alex for something brutal/heavy to slip inbetween your songs if you need something else to play, we'd be more than happy to help. [/quote]
I often do just that. You've seen me ask Alex for cds, which I have played during my rotation. Unfortunately, Alex isn't always around at the beginning of the show. The last couple of weeks, you've been busy at the beginning of the show also. There have been many nights, that Paul was the first additional person to show up, and he certainly isn't going to be handing me any grind cds... ;)

BoB

Post by BoB » Mon July 26th, 2004, 3:58 pm

Why don't you let someone else feed you something to play
To me that seems like a short-term solution. It doesn't address the longer term issues of staleness from playing "what you like" - now it becomes "what we all like" which may help stretch things out, but ultimately will become a pattern.

I guess all I'm suggesting is that if you want to go for diversity then don't be afraid to play things that "aren't good". Somebody will probably disagree with your opinion.

Fn Dan

Post by Fn Dan » Mon July 26th, 2004, 5:27 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-bob+Jul 26 2004, 04:58 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bob @ Jul 26 2004, 04:58 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I guess all I'm suggesting is that if you want to go for diversity then don't be afraid to play things that "aren't good". Somebody will probably disagree with your opinion. [/quote]
This is what I do in my "empty slots". Empty slots make up prolly 40-50% of my playlists now (except for last week of course). What I do, is I pick bands from the death and black metal genre's that I may not personally listen to, but have a following. For songs, I pick ones with cool song titles. I don't listen to them beforehand, and just hope for the best. One cool example was that Bathory song I chose. I had no idea Quorthon did clean vocals on the track, and a lot of people were shocked to hear a Bathory song with clean vocals.

Death

Post by Death » Tue July 27th, 2004, 12:41 am

There is not enough brutal screaming grinding death metal on the show! Too much bullshit that fits in no genre, and too much soft metal!