WREKage format

discuss the radio show WREKage

Moderators: Brian, Metalfreak, MS_39455, WREKage Staff

AmoebicDysentery

Post by AmoebicDysentery » Fri July 2nd, 2004, 3:06 pm

I think what Paul, Dan, and Greg play is all very similar. Alex has a knoweledge of the more underground sides of more extreme metal (death/grind/black/doom..whatever) that shouldn't be ignored! I loved listening to Wrekage when I was 13 and hearing all these bands I had never even heard of before and going and searching their albums down. I'm not saying the bigger bands shouldn't get airplay, but everybody knows who Opeth and Dimmu Borgir are already...how about some exposure to something new?

Basically, IMO there should be less...dare I say...Mainstream metal played and more underground and possibly more extreme stuff.

Fn Dan

Post by Fn Dan » Fri July 2nd, 2004, 5:21 pm

I certainly wouldn't consider Opeth or Dimmu Borgir mainstream. Most people don't find the "extreme" metal you refer to palatable. That's why we've been diversifying the show, because people have complained before about the very "extreme" metal you refer to.

I'm all about playing newer bands that people might not be familiar with, however. One of the problems is though, when WREKage went to a more "extreme" format, which it did for a while, people quit listening, and so did labels. There are quite a few labels we don't get cds from. I'm hoping to change this, but rebuilding the show is going to take time. Yes, WREKage is in a rebuilding phase, on a mission to return it to its former glory! \m/

BoB

Post by BoB » Fri July 2nd, 2004, 6:22 pm

Basically, IMO there should be less...dare I say...Mainstream metal played and more underground and possibly more extreme stuff.
I agree with the underground comment. Bands like Opeth aren't mainstream as far as the global population but I would agree that they're pretty mainstream with metal fans. And I would like to see the show cater more to the metal fans rather than try to convert BritneySpears fans. I don't think there's anything wrong w/ playing "mainstream metal" bands but there are so many - we just need to mix them up more. I used to think that bands like Slayer were pointless to play nowadays until DeathgasmAlex, my connection to the 'youth culture', told me that a lot of kids have never heard them - but they like it once they hear it. So I think a good mix of diverse mainstream and education about the underground would be ideal.

As for more extreme stuff, I think we've done well enough there. Metal is a pretty vast genre - there's a lot of metal music that we still don't represent. Besides, if all you play is "extreme" then "extreme" becomes the norm - it's another genre w/ no future (see my comments about the "progressive" genre). You need some valleys for the peaks to be peaks.

thanks AD

Greg
WREKage Staff

Post by Greg » Sat July 3rd, 2004, 10:36 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-bob+Jul 2 2004, 07:22 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bob &#064; Jul 2 2004, 07:22 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I used to think that bands like Slayer were pointless to play nowadays until DeathgasmAlex, my connection to the 'youth culture', told me that a lot of kids have never heard them - but they like it once they hear it. [/quote]
Yeah, this is true in the same way that there's always new generations of fans of bands like Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd every few years. Everyone loves the classics, and it's important for us to keep playing them.

I'd say we do ok in playing underground material, sure we could play more of it, but we could play more of everything else to, and we can't please all of the people all of the time. A lot of the underground stuff in metal stays underground because it flat out sucks (present company's bands excluded), so I guess we wind up playing the best of the underground... which could one day wind up being mainstream metal.

I bet it's gonna be weird for you Bob in a few years when you walk in your kid's room and he's got some Slayer or old Metallica blasting on his stereo. Then you can sit him on your knee and tell him about the good old days.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Thu July 8th, 2004, 2:56 am

You have to admit, though, not much Death/Grind is played nowadays

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Thu July 8th, 2004, 3:00 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Fn Dan+Jul 2 2004, 05:20 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Fn Dan @ Jul 2 2004, 05:20 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I certainly wouldn't consider Opeth or Dimmu Borgir mainstream. [/quote]
Then what would you consider to be mainstream metal?

dumpVokillist

Post by dumpVokillist » Fri July 9th, 2004, 1:50 am

too much god damn progressive/power shit.

come on who wants to hear that? plz play more grind/death/killing/murder/genocide.

TheKshatriya

Post by TheKshatriya » Sat July 10th, 2004, 10:47 pm

I think one night you guys should play a whole block of fast and brutal styles. Mainly Death and Thrash.

WREKage-Paul
WREKage Staff

Post by WREKage-Paul » Tue July 13th, 2004, 5:55 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Greg+Jul 1 2004, 11:59 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Greg &#064; Jul 1 2004, 11:59 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Haha awesome... well there you go.&nbsp; The system still works.

Tell you what... I'll work some older Nasum and older Carcass into the show when I'm back in two weeks.&nbsp; I won't tell you when I'll play it though, so you'll just have to listen the whole time and see.[/quote]
Doncha hate it when deejays tease? :lol:
Community host for WREKage
www.wrekage.org
Friday night, midnight 'til we get tired, 91.1 FM

Greg
WREKage Staff

Post by Greg » Tue July 13th, 2004, 8:30 am

Doncha hate it when deejays tease?&nbsp; &nbsp; :lol:
Yeah, that's kinda harsh of me to say that now since I can wait until 7:59 a.m. to play something if I want.

Now that I've been through most of the albums and have most of them in order we should be able to cover requests for more obscure stuff a little easier.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Sat July 17th, 2004, 10:04 am

The block format is best, in my opinion. If you don't like what one DJ :m1c: is playing, you can stray from the radio for a little while and then come back when someone you do like is on the air.

BoB

Post by BoB » Sat July 17th, 2004, 12:35 pm

or maybe a hybrid. start off diverse then maybe have some specialty blocks mixed in with the diverse? It seems to be that way now actually...

Greg
WREKage Staff

Post by Greg » Sat July 17th, 2004, 1:21 pm

I think what's going on now is we still all pretty much play the stuff we specialize in, but it's a more diversified specialty if that makes any sense. It's kind of a quasi-block format I guess.

We all still kinda play the stuff we're most familiar with but we play a broader spectrum of it. :wh4cky:

AmoebicDysentery

Post by AmoebicDysentery » Sat July 24th, 2004, 4:03 pm

On the July 23rd show...

4 Dimmu Borgir songs

3 Therion songs

3 Slayer songs

3 Opeth songs

3 Pantera songs

and KITTIE?!?!

:t01l3t:

Fn Dan

Post by Fn Dan » Sat July 24th, 2004, 4:19 pm

We prefaced the show, many times, that we did not have the WREKage catolog available to us last night. Playing many of the sames bands mutiple times, was inevitable, since many of our personal collections overlap so much. Many of those songs, however, were requested. If you're looking for Grind on the show though, you can forget it. Unless Alex comes in to play some of his stuff, or someone actually requests it, WREKage will not play extreme/grind anymore. If you want to hear some, I suggest you actually request it, otherwise, WREKage will no longer play it. Why? People hate it, period. The period of time in which WREKage exclusively played extreme/grind coincides directly with the period of time in which WREKage's popularity was at its lowest. I have no interest in alienating the listeners we've worked to regain.

The Kittie, well, yeah, I only played that because we had tickets to give away. In truth, however, we've had many requests for Kittie in the past. No, we have not bereted those listeners for their bad taste, but we didn't play any either. We didn't have any problems giving away the tickets though. We even had people calling in after we had given both pair away, asking if we had more.