WREKage format

discuss the radio show WREKage

Moderators: Brian, Metalfreak, MS_39455, WREKage Staff

bid

Post by bid » Tue July 27th, 2004, 1:49 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-bob+Jul 26 2004, 04:58 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bob @ Jul 26 2004, 04:58 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I guess all I'm suggesting is that if you want to go for diversity then don't be afraid to play things that "aren't good". Somebody will probably disagree with your opinion. [/quote]
Hmm.. reminds me of the thousands of time I did it. I mean.. come on... I even played bands that no one else knew about. They popped up in the mailbox. I tried it.. I played. it.. If I didn't get any comments on it.. it got lost in the cebinet.. else.. I kept it properly :P
bidyut

Andy

Post by Andy » Sat July 31st, 2004, 1:54 am

I voted for OTHER option, as I wish wrekage would revert back to the olden days, or my olden days of wrekage which was 1993 - 1995, the host was BOB all night gotta love that! :m1c:

then that goof named shawn hosted. he didnt know a damn thing about good metal music.

then came the tumultuous john and sam host yrs, what a bore. no offense I like really brutal stuff, but I hadnt discovered that type of music yet in clear CD format..the more obscure brutal bands like the way I appreciate it now, so those yrs werent that great.

then onto the diversity yrs of wrekage which is cool and all but Im looking mainly to play my cd collection at the studio and to find a dealer.

isnt Jim raagai the coolest dude ever! Like ol my god!

I really have no idea, sorry for wasting your time, I dont sleep well.

Fn Dan

Post by Fn Dan » Sat July 31st, 2004, 5:59 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Andy+Jul 31 2004, 02:54 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Andy @ Jul 31 2004, 02:54 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> then onto the diversity yrs of wrekage which is cool and all but Im looking mainly to play my cd collection at the studio and to find a dealer. [/quote]
Uh.........uh.......huh? Do we know you??? I don't think so........... :huh:

WREKage-Paul
WREKage Staff

Post by WREKage-Paul » Mon August 9th, 2004, 6:11 am

For what it's worth, I don't agree with excluding grindcore on the show either. If we have it available at the station I'll play requests during my set, but I don't have hardly anything from that genre m'self and know very little about it.

Also, DeathGasm-Alex hasn't been to the studio in a few weeks, so we've been relatively grindcore-less. This will presumably change. He's the expert on the scene and of course, is the best source for grindcore CDs for us to have in the studio since he brings a selection with him, often new stuff.

Regarding the show and the current formats and playing styles, etc., I think the show has shown marked improvement just in the last 6-8 weeks. Even aside from the longer show-hours, the diversity (with a few exceptions), the phone calls and the number of requests we've been serving -- 47% or so of allll songs we've played; 52 requests played during one show -- all point to a show that's really doing well.

Ummm.

Tell your friends. :)

--But be selective as to the timing. Earlier today, I had a regular listener to my Internet radio show (http://seismic.paulcashman.com) listening to the WREKage archive instead. I gave him a hard time for it. Gently, though, 'cause I wanted to listen to the archive myself. :D
Community host for WREKage
www.wrekage.org
Friday night, midnight 'til we get tired, 91.1 FM

Greg
WREKage Staff

Post by Greg » Mon August 9th, 2004, 10:16 am

I tried to play more grind-type bands last week at the end of the show since Alex hasn't been around for a while. He said he was moving a couple of weeks ago, but we haven't heard from him in a while.

Any of you know if he's still busy moving or heard from him lately?

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Thu August 19th, 2004, 10:07 pm

Alex has moved already, but has been on the road at fests :ch41n:

DarkWolfen

Post by DarkWolfen » Thu August 19th, 2004, 10:56 pm

What happened to the Progressive block? It seems lately that it has disappeared. Overall the show has gotten much more heavy, is there any room for the progressive block I ask? I am starting to think not.

Fn Dan

Post by Fn Dan » Thu August 19th, 2004, 11:10 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-DarkWolfen+Aug 19 2004, 11:56 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (DarkWolfen @ Aug 19 2004, 11:56 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> What happened to the Progressive block? It seems lately that it has disappeared. Overall the show has gotten much more heavy, is there any room for the progressive block I ask? I am starting to think not. [/quote]
I played a bunch of prog stuff last Friday. Let's see, I played Ayreon, Soilwork (borderline), Diabolical Masquerade, Opeth, Devin Townsend, Hammers of Misfortune, Therion, Porcupine Tree, and Lacuna Coil. Paul played Nightwish, Amorphis, and Opeth (Celtic Frost cover). That's a pretty decent bit of prog stuff.

DarkWolfen

Post by DarkWolfen » Fri August 20th, 2004, 2:11 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Fn Dan+Aug 19 2004, 11:10 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Fn Dan @ Aug 19 2004, 11:10 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <!--QuoteBegin-DarkWolfen+Aug 19 2004, 11:56 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (DarkWolfen &#064; Aug 19 2004, 11:56 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> What happened to the Progressive block? It seems lately that it has disappeared. Overall the show has gotten much more heavy, is there any room for the progressive block I ask? I am starting to think not. [/quote]
I played a bunch of prog stuff last Friday. Let's see, I played Ayreon, Soilwork (borderline), Diabolical Masquerade, Opeth, Devin Townsend, Hammers of Misfortune, Therion, Porcupine Tree, and Lacuna Coil. Paul played Nightwish, Amorphis, and Opeth (Celtic Frost cover). That's a pretty decent bit of prog stuff. [/quote]
I guess everyone defines proggie differently. But yeah the show last week which for some reason I don't remember, had more progressive elements than previous shows. The only part I seem to remember was the beginning and Tim's long silences between the end of one song and the beginning of another song. But other than that... :huh:

Greg
WREKage Staff

Post by Greg » Fri August 20th, 2004, 2:13 pm

I'm just happy to have a darkwolfen request this week. :lol:

DarkWolfen

Post by DarkWolfen » Fri August 20th, 2004, 2:25 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Greg+Aug 20 2004, 02:13 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Greg @ Aug 20 2004, 02:13 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I'm just happy to have a darkwolfen request this week. :lol: [/quote]
Yeah and maybe you will have one next week. Its a new plan, to not segregate my requests to only 2 hosts, I guess its like sharing the wealth. To solve one of my curiousities. I'm sure if it was just a usual request by me you wouldn't think having one of my requests would be that grand. Its the all death metal requests show from me. Trying something new for a change from Type O and Moonspell, I guess. :wh4cky:

Greg
WREKage Staff

Post by Greg » Fri August 20th, 2004, 2:47 pm

I meant having something I'd normally play requested, which was a pleasant surprise.

I feel like the russian dude from rocky 4 about getting you to request something heavier - I MUST BREAK YOU

WREKage-Paul
WREKage Staff

Post by WREKage-Paul » Tue August 24th, 2004, 5:59 am

hahahahahahaha "WE will break you!"

As for the progressive "block," I quit playing a long block of more progressive stuff years ago, because some of the then-hosts (and the occasional listener) gave me shit for it. And my musical tastes gradually got darker. I've been trying to insert a few more progressive tunes into my part of the show, with varying amounts of success -- the determining factors have been how much time I have behind the mike, and especially, how many requests we still have to plow through.

Not a week hasn't gone by where I had to lay some of my CDs to the side and put them back in their cases unplayed, and more often than not, they're prog-metal CDs.

I'll continue to try to insert the occasional prog-metal tune (maybe even power-metal, aieeee) into my set, to break up the action a bit. I like a bit of diversity.

Community host for WREKage
www.wrekage.org
Friday night, midnight 'til we get tired, 91.1 FM

DarkWolfen

Post by DarkWolfen » Tue August 24th, 2004, 5:15 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-WREKage-Paul+Aug 24 2004, 05:59 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (WREKage-Paul @ Aug 24 2004, 05:59 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> As for the progressive "block," I quit playing a long block of more progressive stuff years ago, because some of the then-hosts (and the occasional listener) gave me shit for it. And my musical tastes gradually got darker. [/quote]
Greg- You mean Dolph Lundgren from the movie eh? B)

Paul, I have noticed in the past that the prog you were into was like Dream Theater and those kinds, but death got to you too and darkness built a fortress in your soul. :ev1l:

Too poetic I know, this what happens when I get sick. :wh4cky: :lol: