Number of fans?

discuss the radio show WREKage

Moderators: Brian, Metalfreak, MS_39455, WREKage Staff

DarkWolfen

Post by DarkWolfen » Sun July 18th, 2004, 7:44 pm

How many fans of WREKage are there? Does anyone really know? I know its sweeping metro Atlanta, but in numbers is it really known how well the station is doing for the show?

Curiosity killed the cat, but he was a smart cat when he died. :sm0k3: ;)

BoB

Post by BoB » Sun July 18th, 2004, 10:48 pm

One Million! [insert Dr Evil imagery] :3v1l:

Greg
WREKage Staff

Post by Greg » Mon July 19th, 2004, 10:41 am

My mom is my biggest fan, she says I'm very special! :b0unc3y:

At one time WREKage drew more listeners in its time slot than 96 Rock did, I don't know what the specifics are now though.

I think there's a way to check how many internet listeners we have somewhere in the mp3 streaming script, Daniel did it the other night and we had over 30 active internet streams showing. I don't know about tracking total listeners though.

BoB

Post by BoB » Mon July 19th, 2004, 3:00 pm

I think there's a way to check how many internet listeners we have somewhere in the mp3 streaming script
yeah, that will give you the # of people listening live to the stream. You then need to go back in a week and check the web server logs to count how many people hit the archive. Find out how many people listen over the radio, sum all those numbers and you have your answer. f'n simple....

Fn Dan

Post by Fn Dan » Mon July 19th, 2004, 4:54 pm

I'm not sure how accurate the mp3 streaming status page is. Everytime I've checked that page, it gives a number within plus/minus 5 people of 30. I have a hard time believing, that there are always 30, and only 30 people streaming WREK.... <_<

It seems the number of phone requests and email requests are increasing. Also, it seems we're getting more cds in the mail. Those seem to be indicators that more people are paying attention to the show. Could be just coincidence, but we'll be optimistic and think people are actually enjoying the show! :m3t4l:

Death

Post by Death » Mon July 19th, 2004, 7:44 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Greg+Jul 19 2004, 10:41 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Greg @ Jul 19 2004, 10:41 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> My mom is my biggest fan, she says I'm very special! :b0unc3y:

At one time WREKage drew more listeners in its time slot than 96 Rock did, I don't know what the specifics are now though.

I think there's a way to check how many internet listeners we have somewhere in the mp3 streaming script, Daniel did it the other night and we had over 30 active internet streams showing. I don't know about tracking total listeners though. [/quote]
She would be proud of you if you're job was shoving shit down a drainpipe.:lol: Mothers are proud of their kids no matter what they do, most times. :FU:

WREKage-Paul
WREKage Staff

Post by WREKage-Paul » Mon August 9th, 2004, 5:33 am

No question that the number of calls and requests has increased. There was one week where we played 52 requests, as tagged in the playlist. We were on pace to do really well this past Friday, too. I have to think we're doing better now as far as total listenership.

I've also received word from people online who have been listening -- sometimes quite closely -- to the Internet stream.

Back in WREKage's heyday they topped out at around 8,000 listeners locally (this was before any streaming, I think), which did beat 96rock in that "daypart." (Figures are from Birch, a ratings firm that apparently no longer surveys.) Although Arbitron does rate radio stations in Atlanta, they do not consider any noncommercial stations at all, preferring to discard any such datapoints. Sounds like sloppy statistics to me.

Based solely on volume of calls and requests, I'd guess we're pulling between 2,000 to 4,000 listeners each Friday at peak (probably 11pm to midnight for us).

I firmly believe that we are making a difference.
Community host for WREKage
www.wrekage.org
Friday night, midnight 'til we get tired, 91.1 FM

Greg
WREKage Staff

Post by Greg » Mon August 9th, 2004, 10:21 am

One thing I have noticed (and am proud of) is that people will call up now and request songs from bands that I started playing when I first got on the show that either got played very little or not at all on the show previously.

We get requests now for bands like Vehemence, DragonForce, Behemoth, etc., bands that WREKage had never played before or played very little of, but all 3 of which are some of my favorte bands that I wanted to play when I first got on the air. The other hosts probably have similar bands they could name that are their WREKage darlings that other people have got turned on to and started requesting thanks to the show. It's cool to know that people are listening to and digging the stuff you play, and want to hear more of it.

We even got a Circle of Dead Children request on the last show, so that shows that someone is listening to the grindcore we play. :drum:

BoB

Post by BoB » Mon August 9th, 2004, 10:31 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Greg+Aug 9 2004, 11:21 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Greg &#064; Aug 9 2004, 11:21 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->One thing I have noticed (and am proud of) is that people will call up now and request songs from bands that I started playing when I first got on the show that either got played very little or not at all on the show previously.
[/quote]
Very cool to hear that! I noticed that same pattern with stuff that I use to play also. I think this is good proof that as showhosts you should steer the show, rather than alway be led by requests. At least now you know you have the ability to steer and make things happen. :b0unc3y:

bid

Post by bid » Wed August 11th, 2004, 3:53 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Greg+Aug 9 2004, 11:21 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Greg @ Aug 9 2004, 11:21 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> One thing I have noticed (and am proud of) is that people will call up now and request songs from bands that I started playing when I first got on the show that either got played very little or not at all on the show previously. [/quote]
Get used to it kid. I did that a lot. One of the reasons there is a sudden boom of requests to a new DJ is the different kind of stuff they play. I mean, for crying out loud, I had to Virgin Steele as request once. Thought that would never happen.
bidyut