discuss the radio show WREKage

Moderators: Brian, Metalfreak, MS_39455, WREKage Staff

Greg
WREKage Staff

new album review 9/2

Post by Greg » Fri September 2nd, 2005, 8:47 pm

Opeth - Ghost Reveries

http://www.wrekage.org/reviews.php?id=75

I was pretty gay for Opeth before but this album makes me want to bear all of their man-children. Twice.

WREKage-Paul
WREKage Staff

Post by WREKage-Paul » Thu September 8th, 2005, 2:50 am

I'll bear the women-children.

Sounds like a Plan.

holly
WREKage Staff

Post by holly » Thu September 8th, 2005, 8:39 am

I'm softening up to this shit.
What the fuck did you guys do to me?!
:lol:

Also, copy the new BTBAM if you guys get a chance.
It's not all *as* all over the place as that one song I played two shows ago, but it still has their signature heavy shit and some more fairly progressive parts.

WREKage-Paul
WREKage Staff

Post by WREKage-Paul » Fri September 9th, 2005, 2:57 am

holly wrote:I'm softening up to this shit.
What the fuck did you guys do to me?!
:lol:
Woah.... :shock:

Well, it is a good album!

Greg, just read the review. Bloody brilliant. I was actually gonna write a review of it, but I don't have the time (BUSY month, new homeowner, gotta move soon) and I couldn't have done a better job if I tried.

Mike
WREKage Staff

Post by Mike » Wed September 14th, 2005, 12:34 pm

This is one of those times I feel like a complete jackass for not liking them earlier.
I never really gave them a proper listen, and grouped them with other stuff I didn't like. Stupid me.
So yeah, they are incredible. And i'm an idiot.

Greg
WREKage Staff

Post by Greg » Wed September 14th, 2005, 2:07 pm

Pretty much every person I've ever told about Opeth thought the same way - at first they dismiss it as too long, too boring, etc... then after a few listens for whatever reason the music grows and grows on them until they finally just give up and admit they are hearing some of the best stuff they've ever heard. I've converted a lot of my non-metalhead friends so much so that they now regularly rock Opeth on their Ipods along with whatever other nameless pop crap they listen to.

Obviously they aren't gonna please everyone in metal listening-dom but I feel they are probably the best band around right now and have been firing on all cylinders for over 10 years strong now.
Last edited by Greg on Wed September 14th, 2005, 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BoB

Post by BoB » Wed September 14th, 2005, 2:15 pm

yeah I was recently going to come out of the Opeth closet. Their shit has a way of growing on ya. I'm sort of afraid to check out the new album - I might start marching in Opeth-Pride parades based on the feedback I'm hearing...

holly
WREKage Staff

Post by holly » Wed September 14th, 2005, 3:59 pm

BoB wrote:yeah I was recently going to come out of the Opeth closet. Their shit has a way of growing on ya. I'm sort of afraid to check out the new album - I might start marching in Opeth-Pride parades based on the feedback I'm hearing...
You totally will.
This shit is intense.

Greg
WREKage Staff

Post by Greg » Wed September 14th, 2005, 4:13 pm

BoB wrote:yeah I was recently going to come out of the Opeth closet. Their shit has a way of growing on ya. I'm sort of afraid to check out the new album - I might start marching in Opeth-Pride parades based on the feedback I'm hearing...
It's nothing to be ashamed of - we were all born this way as Opeth fans, some of us just realize it a little later than others. :lol:

Mike
WREKage Staff

Post by Mike » Wed September 14th, 2005, 5:38 pm

Greg wrote:Pretty much every person I've ever told about Opeth thought the same way - at first they dismiss it as too long, too boring, etc... then after a few listens for whatever reason the music grows and grows on them until they finally just give up and admit they are hearing some of the best stuff they've ever heard. I've converted a lot of my non-metalhead friends so much so that they now regularly rock Opeth on their Ipods along with whatever other nameless pop crap they listen to.

Obviously they aren't gonna please everyone in metal listening-dom but I feel they are probably the best band around right now and have been firing on all cylinders for over 10 years strong now.
The thing is this is the kind of music I would definitely be into and I am. It's not like i'm someone who needs the music to be really heavy all the time. I think its more I only heard bits of songs during the show on various Fridays. I never actually listened to an album until now :roll:

DeathfareDevil

Post by DeathfareDevil » Tue September 27th, 2005, 1:31 am

It's quite cool that so many people, here and elsewhere, seem to be reacting so positively to this album. I keep thinking to myself, "this is their best since My Arms, Your Hearse, or maybe even since Morningrise," then I feel like a total fanboy and figure I'm being hyperbolic. But the more I listen to this CD, the more I'm realizing this is THE Opeth album I've been waiting for, at least since I've been into the band, post-Still Life. Not quite as dark as Blackwater Park, but definitely more balanced and innovative -- and Deliverance is made to look a bit weak, by Opeth standards, in retrospect, I have to say.

Oh, and I too liked that review. Definitely said everything I wanted to say.

Aaaand how is it that M. Akerfeldt's death vocals actually get sicker and more guttural with every album? Jesus!

WREKage-Paul
WREKage Staff

Post by WREKage-Paul » Fri October 7th, 2005, 4:02 am

Deliverance was weak, by Opeth standards. :D

bid

Post by bid » Fri October 7th, 2005, 7:56 am

WREKage-Paul wrote:Deliverance was weak, by Opeth standards. :D
But it was good damnit!
bidyut

WREKage-Paul
WREKage Staff

Post by WREKage-Paul » Thu October 20th, 2005, 5:55 am

Well, yeah, it was, by the standards of the world. We hold Mikael A. to higher standards and expectations, though. :D

But, he gets recompense. I need to re-burn some Ozric Tentacles CDs for him (err, and Peter L. as well). The two I had "on the rack" for him were rerouted to Therion. Really weird how many metal muzos like Ozrics. :)