A new topic

open forum for any and all conversations

Moderators: Brian, Metalfreak, MS_39455, AtlantaMetal Staff

A new topic

Post by post » Fri May 5th, 2006, 9:22 pm

Ive been on this forum off and on now for a very long time now. This is a very, very tough crowd.

But Im wondering who hear isnt a grindcore notzee and waiting rabidly to rip apart the next Atlanta Metal some kinda "core" act.

Theres no doubt a lot of us hear are musicians maybe even lucky enough to be in local bands. So you probably dont draw all your inspiration from METAL.

Anybody heard anything exciting, new, old, impressive? And want too share?
The latest metal band/album I cant get enough of is Nile aotw( I really love it) but the last couple albums Ive heard that impressed the hell out of me were
Sting/first solo album
Ennio Morricone/Crime and dissonance
Sixteen Horsepower/Sackcloth n ashes
Chick Corea/the ultimate adventure
and I just got ahold of a couple of Tin Hat Trio albums I cant wait to listen to. So ill let you know what that sounds like.

BlazeTSU
AtlantaMetal Staff

Re: A new topic

Post by BlazeTSU » Sat May 6th, 2006, 12:46 am

post wrote:Ive been on this forum off and on now for a very long time now. This is a very, very tough crowd.

But Im wondering who hear isnt a grindcore notzee and waiting rabidly to rip apart the next Atlanta Metal some kinda "core" act.

Theres no doubt a lot of us hear are musicians maybe even lucky enough to be in local bands. So you probably dont draw all your inspiration from METAL.

Anybody heard anything exciting, new, old, impressive? And want too share?
The latest metal band/album I cant get enough of is Nile aotw( I really love it) but the last couple albums Ive heard that impressed the hell out of me were
Sting/first solo album
Ennio Morricone/Crime and dissonance
Sixteen Horsepower/Sackcloth n ashes
Chick Corea/the ultimate adventure
and I just got ahold of a couple of Tin Hat Trio albums I cant wait to listen to. So ill let you know what that sounds like.
SIXTEEN HORSEPOWER has long been a favorite band of mine. david eugene edwards, the singer also has another band called WOVEN HAND that is very good.

i've been listening to WORLD AGAINST WORLD - WHEN THE DAY BREAKS AND THE SHADOWS FLEE. its a crust/punk gem that not enough people know about.

and i'm getting into STRAPPING YOUNG LAD - ALIEN a lot lately as well. its one of those albums that takes a few listens to start to understand it.

this might be surprising since i'm the biggest metallica fan in the world, but i just bought METALLICA - GARAGE INC. for the first time and i can't stop listening to it. it has a raw sound that you never get to hear with metallica and james' vocals are super throughout it.

ProstheticHead12

Post by ProstheticHead12 » Sat May 6th, 2006, 1:02 am

yeah
Last edited by ProstheticHead12 on Sun May 7th, 2006, 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fuck it, Dude, let's go bowling.

Metalfreak

Post by Metalfreak » Sat May 6th, 2006, 1:40 pm

I like a lot of rock n roll...if it's got guitars and drums, then it's usually good. besides metal, I'll listen to hard rock, classic rock, some older 'alternative' stuff and I like some punk rock but I'm not too familiar with that genre. I don't listen to much of anything else outside of these genres. It doesn't mean I'm not familiar with it though.
They had you do a drug test and the forgot to test for drugs???

holly
WREKage Staff

Post by holly » Sat May 6th, 2006, 3:38 pm

I pretty much never comment on listening to metal bands (ie in the "what are you listening to?" threads), because I listen to all sorts of shit and listening to metal is kinda like work to me these days...

Matt

Post by Matt » Sat May 6th, 2006, 10:08 pm

holly wrote:listening to metal is kinda like work to me these days...

HA!

Post by post » Sun May 7th, 2006, 11:16 am

Thats really cool to hear you guys listen to other stuff. I dont know when or how my musical taste became so diverse I just started to notice my CD booklet had Carcass Heartwork next to Tears for Fears and I thought well thats.........really odd.

Im really starting to get into obscure instrumental type stuff since my band is instrumental and we all have really different influences and taste we share a lot of music.

Anybody heard anything by Tom Waits, Captain Beefheart, Weatherreport.
These guys are really cool Im sure theres some Tom Waits fans here.

And YEAH Sixteen Horsepower is really awesome I hope there still together id kill to see them live, id kill to be able to sing like him but then again I just end up covering there tunes.

frankinzombie666

Post by frankinzombie666 » Sun May 7th, 2006, 12:29 pm

I lisen to both kinds of music, country and western :lol:
Dont fucking look at me.

AmoebicDysentery

Post by AmoebicDysentery » Sun May 7th, 2006, 4:17 pm

Tom Waits is fucking awesome. I think the "Alice" album is my favorite, however theres a large chunk of his discography I've still yet to hear.

BlazeTSU
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by BlazeTSU » Sun May 7th, 2006, 5:02 pm

post wrote: Anybody heard anything by Tom Waits, Captain Beefheart, Weatherreport.
These guys are really cool Im sure theres some Tom Waits fans here.

And YEAH Sixteen Horsepower is really awesome I hope there still together id kill to see them live, id kill to be able to sing like him but then again I just end up covering there tunes.
well, sadly, 16 horsepower isn't still around. but woven hand is fairly similiar and they do sporadic shows from time to time.

tom waits is great! i listen to a lot of tom waits. and a lot of nick cave and the bad seeds as well.

i'm not real familiar with captain beefheart but a guy i work with let me listen to one of his cd's and it was good. interesting to say the least.

frankinzombie666

Post by frankinzombie666 » Sun May 7th, 2006, 9:39 pm

I lisen to tom waits and capiten beefheart ALOT. expecially tom waits,does he have any tour dates or anything?? he would be cool to see,maybe go have a bite to eat and a drink and watch him
Dont fucking look at me.

holly
WREKage Staff

Post by holly » Sun May 7th, 2006, 9:57 pm

Matt wrote:
holly wrote:listening to metal is kinda like work to me these days...

HA!
It's not really all that funny; it's kinda sad, actually.
There's just been a lot of non-heavy related stuff that's been a lot more interesting to me lately...
=/

TheKshatriya

Post by TheKshatriya » Mon May 8th, 2006, 12:22 am

I dont see why people think its odd when people who like metal like other kinds of music too. Its normally nu metal losers that everything else sucks.

ProstheticHead12

Post by ProstheticHead12 » Mon May 8th, 2006, 7:08 am

TheKshatriya wrote:I dont see why people think its odd when people who like metal like other kinds of music too. Its normally nu metal losers that everything else sucks.
and Matt
Fuck it, Dude, let's go bowling.

Post by post » Mon May 8th, 2006, 9:47 am

I thought a lot of people here probably listened to Tom Waits, he is really awesome from everything ive heard. I think the last time he played here was in the 80's and sold out I think he does like one or two shows every cuple of years and the seats sell out to movie stars and stuff.

Captain Beefheart and the Magic band are really good at first listen I didnt get it, the records are extremley experimental like vocals recorded without the music tracks but some of the stuff will blow your mind. Frank Zappa produced one or two of his albums I saw a documentary and Frank Zappa even thought the band was reallt, really weird. But if you like Zappa or Tom waits you will probably like The Beefheart band. Deffinittley worth checking his stuff out.

Man I was going too mention Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds I just got turned on to that band like a month ago its some of the best music ive heard.

I play drums in a local instrumental band called Midwives. The intruments used are banjo, upright bass, toy piano, piano, guitar, melodica and sometimes a xylophone. We do a lot of spaghetti western type songs along with surf/rock tunes and some weird jazzy lounge type piano songs. If that makes any sense? But if you like secret chiefs 3 or stuff kinda like that you might like us. Its a lot fun for me because its a different style of playing but Im slowly pushing the double bass into the music. HAHAHA.

And the Tin Hat Trio is awesome I just got done listening to their latest album (i think) and it had guest musicians Tom Waits, Willie Nelson and John Fishman(drummer in phish) check them out hear http //www.myspace.com/tinhattrio