Vikings

open forum for any and all conversations

Moderators: Brian, Metalfreak, MS_39455, AtlantaMetal Staff

badcarburetor

Post by badcarburetor » Tue April 2nd, 2013, 11:42 am

Trust me, no thread I ever start will be about that overpadded homo-erotic nonsense.

Not that there is anything wrong with dudes in tights rolling around on the ground and dogpiling with other men in tights...
"God created the devil? At least he did *something* cool." Homer J. Simpson

Oracle

Post by Oracle » Tue April 16th, 2013, 9:20 am

I got into this show and so far am pretty pleased with the development. The attention to detail in the sets and wardrobe is satisfying, although I'm not completely sold on the lead actor's "Viking accent." Has anyone else noticed it doesn't sound all that Norse? Maybe I'm just a language nerd but certain anachronisms do get on my nerves.

Generubin

Post by Generubin » Tue April 16th, 2013, 12:25 pm

This show is sick. I like it because it has it's own spin on historical facts while not trying too hard to be historical or just plain ridiculous. It's a nice fusion of both reality and fantasy. I know some guys that have already said it's not bloody enough or it's too political. I don't know about you, but I like dialogue. I also like how they build up to the first recorded Viking raid in England.
BlackRoija wrote:Cut your hair and worship Jesus

badcarburetor

Post by badcarburetor » Tue April 16th, 2013, 5:08 pm

Oracle wrote:I got into this show and so far am pretty pleased with the development. The attention to detail in the sets and wardrobe is satisfying, although I'm not completely sold on the lead actor's "Viking accent." Has anyone else noticed it doesn't sound all that Norse? Maybe I'm just a language nerd but certain anachronisms do get on my nerves.
If I remember correctly, the actor is Australian. And I'd say his accent is better than many others in the cast, but you are probably right that it's not 100% on target. I don't mind that.
Generubin wrote:This show is sick. I like it because it has it's own spin on historical facts while not trying too hard to be historical or just plain ridiculous. It's a nice fusion of both reality and fantasy. I know some guys that have already said it's not bloody enough or it's too political. I don't know about you, but I like dialogue. I also like how they build up to the first recorded Viking raid in England.
I'm with ya. I really dig this show and for many of the same reasons. I like that they've kept the plot fairly simple. Too many shows nowadays try to be too epic with way too many characters and interweaving plotlines (cough, Game of Thrones, cough...). But, man, are those dudes filthy!

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Tue April 16th, 2013, 6:39 pm

In all fairness, Game of Thrones is based on a series of books with way too many characters and interweaving plot lines. I think the show has done a really good job of translating the material to the small screen. I thought the books were awesome though, so I'm biased.
Diana wrote: God damn fuckin shit
The Crawling Chaos

Knucklehead

Post by Knucklehead » Tue April 16th, 2013, 9:26 pm

Nyarlathotep wrote:In all fairness, Game of Thrones is based on a series of books with way too many characters and interweaving plot lines. I think the show has done a really good job of translating the material to the small screen. I thought the books were awesome though, so I'm biased.
What he said.

Generubin

Post by Generubin » Wed April 17th, 2013, 7:29 am

Knucklehead wrote:
Nyarlathotep wrote:In all fairness, Game of Thrones is based on a series of books with way too many characters and interweaving plot lines. I think the show has done a really good job of translating the material to the small screen. I thought the books were awesome though, so I'm biased.
What he said.
BlackRoija wrote:Cut your hair and worship Jesus

stygian will

Post by stygian will » Wed April 17th, 2013, 9:36 am

if you like vikings and GOT yall might like bernard cornwells book series Saxon Tales or harry sidebotton's series Warrior of Rome (plus the wor books have huge appendixes- the author is a oxford prof of ancient warfare)
"Du sollst werden, der du bist"
Nietzsche

Knucklehead

Post by Knucklehead » Wed April 17th, 2013, 10:00 am

stygian will wrote:if you like vikings and GOT yall might like bernard cornwells book series Saxon Tales
That first book was pretty good. And then the focus shifted to the English and my interest wasn't held.

stygian will

Post by stygian will » Wed April 17th, 2013, 10:27 am

Knucklehead wrote:
stygian will wrote:if you like vikings and GOT yall might like bernard cornwells book series Saxon Tales
That first book was pretty good. And then the focus shifted to the English and my interest wasn't held.
the second book -pale horseman did get a little slow but the third- lords of the north sucked me back in...i have to admit though i'll read anything that has well written battle scenes..:D
"Du sollst werden, der du bist"
Nietzsche

badcarburetor

Post by badcarburetor » Wed April 17th, 2013, 12:13 pm

Right. My husband has read them all (I can't read fantasy, it just bores me to tears.) and explains what's up at points when I'm like, "Now, who is that dude that looks just like those other three dudes, again?"

It's seems like a great translation. I'm just saying that my taste is for less sprawling narratives; with too many characters not enough actually happens, IMO.

Odinson666

Post by Odinson666 » Wed April 17th, 2013, 2:12 pm

Since I have more experience with Scandinavian history , than American I find the show is pretty accurate for the sake of entertainment, the budget is much less than Game of Thrones , so my friends into G.o.T have a heard time getting into it, in fact when my girl friend said she can't get into Vikings I suggested its because she only likes Viking getting into her.

I'm surprised since its so action oriented that they have skipped over the berserker thing, no bear shirts, no drugs , no pre battle rituals ...which is my only complaint aside from the English accents

Diana

Post by Diana » Thu April 18th, 2013, 5:22 am

badcarburetor wrote:"Now, who is that dude that looks just like those other three dudes, again?"
^^^This is me right here.
Odinson666 wrote:she only likes Viking getting into her.
^^^ This is also me.

badcarburetor

Post by badcarburetor » Thu April 18th, 2013, 9:58 am

Odinson666 wrote:I'm surprised since its so action oriented that they have skipped over the berserker thing, no bear shirts, no drugs , no pre battle rituals ...which is my only complaint aside from the English accents
It's been renewed for a second season. Maybe they played it soft this season to catch as wide of an audience as possible and will crank things up next season since it's clear that the show has widespread appeal. Here's to hoping anyway...

badcarburetor

Post by badcarburetor » Thu April 18th, 2013, 10:05 am

---