Range/Ability at youth?
33%
Range/Ability when older?
22%

Total votes: 9

Azrael

All time best metal vocalist opinion poll pt 1

Post by Azrael » Sat March 22nd, 2014, 10:29 am

I can't ever decide how to choose an all time favorite, Discography? Aesthetics? Philosophy? Influence? Range and ability at youth? Range and ability when old?

Moloc

Post by Moloc » Sat March 22nd, 2014, 3:11 pm

I would say that philosophy is only important if you actually listen to the lyrics. Funny, the older I become and the deeper I get into metal the less attention I pay to lyrics. When I was a kid I would study the lyrics like a fanatic: "Just two minutes to midnight? That's so deep, man!" Nowadays I just like to hear someone who can scream in key.

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Mon March 24th, 2014, 7:04 am

I suppose it comes down to what you consider "best."

For me it's all about their voice in their prime. Sure, Halford can't hang with what he used to be able to do but I don't knock him, or any singer, for not being able to perform on the level they did in their youth.
<a href="http://spewtilator.bandcamp.com">SPEWTILATOR</a> - Badass motherfuckin' street cops with nothing to lose who don't play by the rules and are out for blood.
Tricalibur wrote:I am looking for Skullcrusher and Dynamo.

ScreamBloodyGore

Post by ScreamBloodyGore » Mon March 24th, 2014, 2:15 pm

^__^
Thanks,
SBG

Metalfreak

Post by Metalfreak » Sat April 19th, 2014, 10:59 pm

I never really thought about it but given the choices presented, I picked range/ ability at youth. I suppose this also includes stamina too.

@Moloc - yeah, I never really got into lyrics either. And you know I'm not as old as you (haha sorry, had to! ;) ) but I just never cared about lyrical content unless it was downright ridiculous. I mean, I can't listen to someone growling "take off your dress and show me your breasts" without laughing! Otherwise though, if it sounds good, I really don't care what the hell they're singing about. If it happens that the lyrics are actually really good and tell some sort of neat story, I take it as an added bonus. \m/
They had you do a drug test and the forgot to test for drugs???

Kaganator

Post by Kaganator » Tue April 22nd, 2014, 3:16 pm

Range and Ability, but it'd be better if they were a good at youth and in present.

Gorgorostrich

Post by Gorgorostrich » Tue April 29th, 2014, 3:10 pm

Has to be range and ability in prime. It's hard to blame a metal vocalist for fucking up their vocal chords for later on, even if it's partially due to a lack of control early on. Influence is ok, too.

I don't think Ozzy or Quorthon were ever as capable as Halford or Gillan or whoever, but they were definitely groundbreaking and sounded great.