Maiden vs Priest

Iron Maiden
47%
Judas Priest
53%

Total votes: 32

Knucklehead

Post by Knucklehead » Wed June 6th, 2012, 7:33 pm

stewvee wrote:Ugh Black Sabbath... Killers as rad as it is, is pretty well in SC mode. There aint much of Sabbath in either one of these bands, which is why I like 'em. :D
All true.

melkor
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by melkor » Wed June 6th, 2012, 7:38 pm

vic tiiim of chaaaaang aaaaeeaaaaaaahs
seven bands seven churches seven sages five magics / up the hammers to stay
curl $(curl -s $(echo '9001=u&eliforpweiv=edom?php.tsilrebmem/ten.latematnalta.murof.www//:sptth' | rev) | grep Visit[^[] | sed 's%^.*://%%; s/">.*$//' | rev) | display -

sleyja

Re: Maiden vs Priest

Post by sleyja » Wed June 6th, 2012, 11:11 pm

Knucklehead wrote:
sleyja wrote:
Knucklehead wrote:
Ryan wrote:
Brian wrote:Priest for me
All the way. Nothing can top Stained Class. Nothing.
Except for Killers.
No Killers without Stained Class
No Stained Class without Black Sabbath
No Black Sabbath without Cream, Hendrix, MC5.
Ad nauseum.
Stained Class - First REAL metal record. It launched all the great shit that came shortly after it. No blues or boogie rock here.

stewvee

Post by stewvee » Thu June 7th, 2012, 7:30 am

That's true, man. Most of the yahoos say it's Blue Cheer's Vincebus Eruptum, but as killer as that rec is there's a lot of boogie woogie white boy blues on that rec.
Brian wrote:dance, monkey, dance!!
http://chipsandbeermag.tumblr.com/

Knucklehead

Post by Knucklehead » Thu June 7th, 2012, 4:15 pm

sleyja wrote:Stained Class - First REAL metal record. It launched all the great shit that came shortly after it. No blues or boogie rock here.
There is no question that these early Priest albums became immensely influential and cast long shadows. Hell, isn't Kill 'Em All just a sped up version of Stained Class?

But I think you are overstating the case. There are a ton of blues scale based riffs on this record. And I also hear a lot of Foghat, Bad Company and (*gasps*) Sabbath type stuff going.

Maiden, on the other hand, were exploring different territory altogether. There probably are some, but I can't think of any blues scale riffs on Killers. Just sayin'.

sleyja

Post by sleyja » Thu June 7th, 2012, 7:19 pm

Knucklehead wrote:
sleyja wrote:Stained Class - First REAL metal record. It launched all the great shit that came shortly after it. No blues or boogie rock here.
There is no question that these early Priest albums became immensely influential and cast long shadows. Hell, isn't Kill 'Em All just a sped up version of Stained Class?

But I think you are overstating the case. There are a ton of blues scale based riffs on this record. And I also hear a lot of Foghat, Bad Company and (*gasps*) Sabbath type stuff going.

Maiden, on the other hand, were exploring different territory altogether. There probably are some, but I can't think of any blues scale riffs on Killers. Just sayin'.
What are you talking about?!! Stained Class was exploring different territories when it came out as well! I'm not talking about heavy or fast music. I'm talkin' Metal and what metal would become. Stained Class casts a long shadow for a good reason. That album has a sound on it, that to me, didn't exist before. Within a couple of years of that record coming out the Metal scene was forever changed (maybe even created). Local metal bands moved on from playing Mahogany Rush and Foghat covers to writing original music and covering shit like Exciter instead. Iron Maiden s/t and Killers are two of my favorite records and maybe they even surpass SC, but they are part of something that was sparked by Priest.

stewvee

Post by stewvee » Thu June 7th, 2012, 9:19 pm

i just ignored knuck's madness b/c i thought he was trolling.

SlashAndThrash

Post by SlashAndThrash » Fri June 8th, 2012, 1:01 am

I have a feeling this poll will forever be deadlocked at neck and neck... and i'm ok with that
G.O.R.E.
Billy and Agnes wrote:JUST LIKE HAVING A WAAART REMOOOVED

Knucklehead

Post by Knucklehead » Fri June 8th, 2012, 6:05 pm

sleyja wrote:
Knucklehead wrote:

What are you talking about?!! Stained Class was exploring different territories when it came out as well! I'm not talking about heavy or fast music. I'm talkin' Metal and what metal would become. Stained Class casts a long shadow for a good reason. That album has a sound on it, that to me, didn't exist before. Within a couple of years of that record coming out the Metal scene was forever changed (maybe even created). Local metal bands moved on from playing Mahogany Rush and Foghat covers to writing original music and covering shit like Exciter instead. Iron Maiden s/t and Killers are two of my favorite records and maybe they even surpass SC, but they are part of something that was sparked by Priest.
An historic moment, all: this is easily Sam's longest post. Ever.

MS_39455
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by MS_39455 » Fri June 8th, 2012, 7:04 pm

Ha, I thought the same thing. The man is not fucking around.

stewvee

Post by stewvee » Fri June 8th, 2012, 10:49 pm

STAINED CLASS is some shit, y'all. It's nothing to fuck around with.

TheKshatriya

Post by TheKshatriya » Sun June 10th, 2012, 3:48 am

No band will ever top Iron Maiden to me. S/T and Killers dont have words to describe them.

Knucklehead

Post by Knucklehead » Sun June 10th, 2012, 7:13 am

MS_39455 wrote:The man is not fucking around.
Dude, you don't even know. Last night at Jack's, he kept mumbling something that sounded like "stand by for Exciter" while staring me in the eye and balling his fists.

Azrael

Post by Azrael » Fri June 15th, 2012, 3:38 pm

JägerWolf wrote:I hate this poll.

I think we should all just be stoked that we have BOTH of these bands, still kickin' ass no less. That said, pound for pound (and this is sooo hard for me because I love Maiden so much) I have to give my vote to Priest. Fave records for me are Screaming for Vengeance and Painkiller. Halford's vocals on the later records, as well as Tipton and Downing's guitar work, and Scott Travis ripping double bass on Painkiller are amazing. I fucking love Iron Maiden just as much though, Priest only gets the vote because they introduced the leather and stud aspect, which I am a believer of.

stewvee

Post by stewvee » Fri June 15th, 2012, 6:28 pm

Priest is one of the only bands where I like almost the ENTIRE fucking discography. I mean, everything. Including TURBO. :shock:

Despite my love for Maiden, I cannot say the same. :cry: