Entombed -- Left Hand Path

open forum for any and all conversations

Moderators: Brian, Metalfreak, MS_39455, AtlantaMetal Staff

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Tue January 29th, 2013, 11:23 am

No. Fuck them. The end.
<a href="http://spewtilator.bandcamp.com">SPEWTILATOR</a> - Badass motherfuckin' street cops with nothing to lose who don't play by the rules and are out for blood.
Tricalibur wrote:I am looking for Skullcrusher and Dynamo.

badcarburetor

Post by badcarburetor » Tue January 29th, 2013, 12:43 pm

melkor wrote:
Brian wrote:Yes, but Earache has made it no secret that their LP reissues are just CD-sourced pressed to wax.
stewvee wrote:goddamn then why bother? fuckin a.
AmoebicDysentery wrote:I dunno about these others, but the SOS repress is supposed to be remastered from the original tapes in "full dynamic range" which SHOULD mean it won't be loud and compressed. Of course my friend sells me his original gatefold AFTER I buy this damn thing, so when it arrives I can do some comparisons.
What a bunch of dorks.
I know! To love music and care what it sounds like?? CRAZY!
Brian wrote:"The main reason for using the CD to make the wax is not the convenience but familiarity. Many thousands of copies have been sold in the 2 decades since release, so that is the sound that fans are used to, we'd get complaints if the vinyls sounded any different I think."
That's the wackest bunch of wackness that ever wacked. BUT it does make me wonder if this is an example of a growing trend of CD buyers turning to vinyl now who will have to "learn" to appreciate the difference in sound and Earache doesn't want to deal with being on the low side of the learning curve. Just a thought...
Ryan wrote:No. Fuck them. The end.
Ha ha. I think Diana hijacked your account.
"God created the devil? At least he did *something* cool." Homer J. Simpson

melkor
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by melkor » Tue January 29th, 2013, 1:44 pm

badcarburetor wrote: I know! To love music and care what it sounds like?? CRAZY!
Please. Anybody who thinks newly stamped vinyl is anything more than a novelty is deluding himself.
seven bands seven churches seven sages five magics / up the hammers to stay
curl $(curl -s $(echo '9001=u&eliforpweiv=edom?php.tsilrebmem/ten.latematnalta.murof.www//:sptth' | rev) | grep Visit[^[] | sed 's%^.*://%%; s/">.*$//' | rev) | display -

Holiday Rambler

Post by Holiday Rambler » Tue January 29th, 2013, 2:05 pm

Okay, then.

Moloc

Post by Moloc » Tue January 29th, 2013, 4:17 pm

melkor wrote:
badcarburetor wrote: I know! To love music and care what it sounds like?? CRAZY!
Please. Anybody who thinks newly stamped vinyl is anything more than a novelty is deluding himself.
How is it a "novelty" if it's pressed from the original tapes?

melkor
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by melkor » Tue January 29th, 2013, 4:54 pm

Moloc wrote:
melkor wrote:
The original source isn't what makes it a novelty. The novelty is in the medium itself, and is not inherently a bad thing. Records are fun: it's fun to watch them spin; it's fun to listen to the cracks and pops; it's fun to look at the big artwork. When you buy a newly pressed record, that's what you're buying, not some mystical analog magic sound. That's the reason it's silly to quibble over whether or not the reprint was mastered from a digital source or the original analog tapes: it's secondary to the current purpose of a vinyl record.
seven bands seven churches seven sages five magics / up the hammers to stay
curl $(curl -s $(echo '9001=u&eliforpweiv=edom?php.tsilrebmem/ten.latematnalta.murof.www//:sptth' | rev) | grep Visit[^[] | sed 's%^.*://%%; s/">.*$//' | rev) | display -

stewvee

Post by stewvee » Tue January 29th, 2013, 10:01 pm

Brian wrote:
stewvee wrote:
Knucklehead wrote:
AmoebicDysentery wrote:I dunno about these others, but the SOS repress is supposed to be remastered from the original tapes in "full dynamic range" which SHOULD mean it won't be loud and compressed.
So is Realm of Chaos, by Bolt Thrower. I've heard competing claims about this FDR recording business. I'll be curious to see if you hear a difference.
why would earache source some reish from cds and others from the og tape? shit's unacceptable. if the tape exists, you have no excuse. last thing i want is an LP that sounds like a CD. get the fuck outta here.
"The main reason for using the CD to make the wax is not the convenience but familiarity. Many thousands of copies have been sold in the 2 decades since release, so that is the sound that fans are used to, we'd get complaints if the vinyls sounded any different I think."
this is the biggest bunch of bullpussy ive ever read
Brian wrote:dance, monkey, dance!!
http://chipsandbeermag.tumblr.com/

stewvee

Post by stewvee » Tue January 29th, 2013, 10:05 pm

badcarburetor wrote:
Brian wrote:"The main reason for using the CD to make the wax is not the convenience but familiarity. Many thousands of copies have been sold in the 2 decades since release, so that is the sound that fans are used to, we'd get complaints if the vinyls sounded any different I think."
That's the wackest bunch of wackness that ever wacked. BUT it does make me wonder if this is an example of a growing trend of CD buyers turning to vinyl now who will have to "learn" to appreciate the difference in sound and Earache doesn't want to deal with being on the low side of the learning curve. Just a thought...
oh man noooooo

stewvee

Post by stewvee » Tue January 29th, 2013, 10:05 pm

melkor wrote:
Moloc wrote:
melkor wrote:
The original source isn't what makes it a novelty. The novelty is in the medium itself, and is not inherently a bad thing. Records are fun: it's fun to watch them spin; it's fun to listen to the cracks and pops; it's fun to look at the big artwork. When you buy a newly pressed record, that's what you're buying, not some mystical analog magic sound. That's the reason it's silly to quibble over whether or not the reprint was mastered from a digital source or the original analog tapes: it's secondary to the current purpose of a vinyl record.
I'm doin my best trying to understand the youth of today, but...

SlashAndThrash

Post by SlashAndThrash » Tue January 29th, 2013, 11:01 pm

Melkor that is straight up the wackest shit I've ever heard.

"BIG PICTURES, WATCH IT SPIN, LOLOLOL" is how that sounds and is completely incorrect. You buy records because records sound better, not that thats why everyone does, but that SHOULD be why- they sound better. they've ALWAYS sounded better, and all this "quibbling" is because they should CONTINUE to sound better, always. But if I am wrong then I suppose mastering for vinyl is a complete myth perpetrated by sound studios to make an extra buck and everyone should stop... pfff. denying the superior sound is willful ignorance or the ramblings of someone with a shitty record player
G.O.R.E.
Billy and Agnes wrote:JUST LIKE HAVING A WAAART REMOOOVED

JägerWolf

Post by JägerWolf » Wed January 30th, 2013, 5:09 am

I cant say myself about this.

But of course......
<Insert old and super famous band name>'s album re-released on Double LP (pressed for 45rpms). Same Album, same tracks, same great taste. Double the vinyl and kick up the speed.

Of course, pay twice the amount for it instead of getting a normal for 33rpms from Ebay or Discogs.

or am I just belly aching here?

Moloc

Post by Moloc » Wed January 30th, 2013, 7:50 am

Bring back the 8-track tape!

badcarburetor

Post by badcarburetor » Wed January 30th, 2013, 11:07 am

Moloc wrote:Bring back the 8-track tape!
http://wearethebiters.com/index.php?/home/ (scroll halfway down the page)

AMAZING NEW 8-Track VERSION OF ACU!!! AVAILABLE NOW!!! We found the only place in the US who makes 8-tracks and we had to do it. Vinyl is awesome and we will be doing it again, cassette's are coming back strong, but were never our thing, but the 8-track is the jam! Enjoy Hi-Fi like you've not had since '78. Limited Edition 500 unit run. Get them while you can, they're going fast! NOW SOLD OUT
"God created the devil? At least he did *something* cool." Homer J. Simpson

Knucklehead

Post by Knucklehead » Wed January 30th, 2013, 11:43 am

Apparently, the preorder starts tomorrow.

Although lame, I can understand where Earache is coming from. I've listened purchased CD's of records that I listened to a lot when I was a kid, and they just didn't sound right. Peace Sells ... is prime example. And then, the CD might sound the same, but there is added stuff. Like "Choir of the Damned" on Pleasure to Kill: none of that arpeggiated stuff is on my old vinyl, and the first time I tossed the CD in, I was all, "WTF is this?!" And, that final "good bye" in Fade to Black has always annoyed the hell out of me, because it isn't on my record.

But to some extent, the bands must have intended it that way and the versions I listened to growing up were not part o the bands original vision.

I can't say that I have ever been a major proponent of authorial intent. Mostly, I just see it as someone fucking with the songs I love.

Moloc

Post by Moloc » Wed January 30th, 2013, 11:44 am

Ha! Makes me want to rush to Goodwill to see if they have any players in their wide selection of electronics.