PALACE

open forum for any and all conversations

Moderators: Brian, Metalfreak, MS_39455, AtlantaMetal Staff

Wireneck

Post by Wireneck » Sun November 6th, 2005, 9:45 pm

Good points BurialRites. I think the only argument that can be made against triggers/sound replacement is that the dynamics of the performance are often if not always drastically altered. All the hits are being played but in many cases they are alot softer in person (for the sake of extreme speed). Triggering is just one tool (out of many) that can be abused or used tastefully as far as im concerned.

For a good example of Triggering gone bad check out www.myspace.com/lilitu "Strike another promise" . I hope that snare roll at about 5 secs into the song is supposed to sound like that. :twisted: Best shitty drum machine impersonation I have ever heard by a real drummer (well I think a real drummer). I don't know much about those guys. Maybe they want it to sound that way.

stalindrummer

Post by stalindrummer » Sun November 6th, 2005, 9:45 pm

BurialRitesRawkStar wrote:I agree, anyone who says triggers are for cheaters are plain ignorant. If you have heard a drummer, who uses triggers, suck live and play perfect on CD, it is probably because he had a bad night at the live show or he edited all of his mistakes in the recording studio. Triggers do not give a drummer amazing talent, practicing does. Even if a drummer uses triggers, every snare/tom/kick strike you hear is the product of the drummer striking those particular drums. Triggers do not add in extra beats the drummer is not hitting, nor do they make you play lightning fast double bass if you can't already. I've personally watched drummers like Derek Roddy(Hate Eternal), John Longstreth(ex-Angel Corpse, ex-Origin, ex-Skinless, ex-etc.) Pete Sandoval(Morbid Angel), George Kollias(Nile), and Jon Engman(Brodequin) who all trigger their sets, and they play just as good LIVE as they do on CD. If you think that triggers are what make these people play the way they do, then you are fucking stupid.
Now thats what the I'm fucking talking about. IN YOUR FACE!!! BITCHES!! :D

andyb

Post by andyb » Sun November 6th, 2005, 10:55 pm

GOD DAMN!!! YOU PEOPLE DONT UNDERSTAND SHIT SO LET ME SPELL IT OUT REAL FUCKIN SLOW AND IF YOU STILL NEED SOME EXPLANATION, ILL DRAW A MAP WITH SOME CRAYONS!!! the statement i made early referred to drummers who trigger their drums mainly in studio to achieve patterns that they cannot perform. triggering drums for consistency (like when your feet are going so fast the notes dont hit as hard.) is just fine. a perfect example of what im talkin about is fear factory. those drums are so perfect on the cd, and he can NOT do it live. if you say i saw them on a bad night, because you have seen him do it before. i say you caught them on a very good night. i have triggered my drums before, in studio, to perfect some double bass parts that i couldnt pull off (mainly because of nervousness and because of time restraints, which any one who has been in a studio can relate) i didnt put anything in our cds that i couldnt do. THAT WOULD BE CHEATING. any one else need a better comment? read this through i couple of times before you get all pissy,
hope you all fucking rot

Mike
WREKage Staff

Post by Mike » Sun November 6th, 2005, 11:42 pm

andyb wrote:GOD DAMN!!! YOU PEOPLE DONT UNDERSTAND SHIT SO LET ME SPELL IT OUT REAL FUCKIN SLOW AND IF YOU STILL NEED SOME EXPLANATION, ILL DRAW A MAP WITH SOME CRAYONS!!! the statement i made early referred to drummers who trigger their drums mainly in studio to achieve patterns that they cannot perform. triggering drums for consistency (like when your feet are going so fast the notes dont hit as hard.) is just fine. a perfect example of what im talkin about is fear factory. those drums are so perfect on the cd, and he can NOT do it live. if you say i saw them on a bad night, because you have seen him do it before. i say you caught them on a very good night. i have triggered my drums before, in studio, to perfect some double bass parts that i couldnt pull off (mainly because of nervousness and because of time restraints, which any one who has been in a studio can relate) i didnt put anything in our cds that i couldnt do. THAT WOULD BE CHEATING. any one else need a better comment? read this through i couple of times before you get all pissy,
Could you upload a pic of that crayon drawn map?
And how does your explanation translate into a map? Can I use the map to find pirates gold?

holly
WREKage Staff

Post by holly » Sun November 6th, 2005, 11:46 pm

Mike wrote:
andyb wrote:GOD DAMN!!! YOU PEOPLE DONT UNDERSTAND SHIT SO LET ME SPELL IT OUT REAL FUCKIN SLOW AND IF YOU STILL NEED SOME EXPLANATION, ILL DRAW A MAP WITH SOME CRAYONS!!! the statement i made early referred to drummers who trigger their drums mainly in studio to achieve patterns that they cannot perform. triggering drums for consistency (like when your feet are going so fast the notes dont hit as hard.) is just fine. a perfect example of what im talkin about is fear factory. those drums are so perfect on the cd, and he can NOT do it live. if you say i saw them on a bad night, because you have seen him do it before. i say you caught them on a very good night. i have triggered my drums before, in studio, to perfect some double bass parts that i couldnt pull off (mainly because of nervousness and because of time restraints, which any one who has been in a studio can relate) i didnt put anything in our cds that i couldnt do. THAT WOULD BE CHEATING. any one else need a better comment? read this through i couple of times before you get all pissy,
Could you upload a pic of that crayon drawn map?
And how does your explanation translate into a map? Can I use the map to find pirates gold?
YARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Matt

Post by Matt » Mon November 7th, 2005, 12:17 am

*hopes for new topic to surface soon*

andyb

Post by andyb » Mon November 7th, 2005, 12:36 am

Mike wrote: Could you upload a pic of that crayon drawn map?
hmmm i dont have a scanner so ill tell you how to draw your own map for pirates gold. take a gold crayon. shove it up your ass (sideways) yell " AAAARRRRGGGG" then take the paper and give yourself a paper cut on that little tendon of skin between your cock and balls. and now you have pirates gold.
hope you all fucking rot

donny

Post by donny » Mon November 7th, 2005, 1:26 am

donny

Post by donny » Mon November 7th, 2005, 2:42 am

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Wireneck

Post by Wireneck » Mon November 7th, 2005, 7:12 am

the statement i made early referred to drummers who trigger their drums mainly in studio to achieve patterns that they cannot perform.
As Burial Rites stated before, triggers don't add anything that isn't already there. The drummers you are talking about are probably doing extensive editing in Pro Tools and combining multiple takes. Hence the shitty live performance.
i have triggered my drums before, in studio, to perfect some double bass parts that i couldnt pull off (mainly because of nervousness and because of time restraints, which any one who has been in a studio can relate)
If it was timing related Triggers are not what saved you. Your engineer probably just moved the hits around in the time grid and made everything all nice and neat.
................................................................................................

CHEATER!

:lol:

Greg
WREKage Staff

Post by Greg » Mon November 7th, 2005, 10:49 am

Sometimes I am glad I don't know how to play an instrument so that I can just listen to music rather than worry about how it got made.