What is everybody currently listening to?

open forum for any and all conversations

Moderators: Brian, Metalfreak, MS_39455, AtlantaMetal Staff

Fn Dan

Post by Fn Dan » Sun January 30th, 2005, 1:52 am

Zane wrote: 5.Halcyon Way- Deliver the suffering(promo)
Who "sings" on that demo? That guitarist really needs to find himself some decent people so he can finally have a good band, or just a singer, I dunno.

ratanda
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by ratanda » Sun January 30th, 2005, 11:37 am

Fn Dan wrote:
Who "sings" on that demo? That guitarist really needs to find himself some decent people so he can finally have a good band, or just a singer, I dunno.
I think he sings very well. I much much prefer him to the last guy they had.

ratanda
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by ratanda » Sun January 30th, 2005, 11:46 am

Fn Dan wrote:Strapping Young Lad - Alien (leak)
I was very disappointed by this. He should have just called it "Accelerated Evolution-but-a-tiny-bit-heavier" I hope he doesn't release another SYL album if it's going to sound like this or the last one.

Fn Dan

Post by Fn Dan » Sun January 30th, 2005, 11:49 am

ratanda wrote:
Fn Dan wrote:
Really...? Did you see them at Breakers last Saturday? Maybe the guy was having a bad night or something...because he sounded horrible. They did a Dio song, and he was way off during one part, and it was painful to listen to. I actually walked out it was so bad. On the way out, in fact, I ran into one person who said, "this has probably got every dog in the neighborhood howling" and another person who said, "thanks for coming out tonight, but I'm sorry you had to see this." Everyone I talked to last Saturday thought the guy sounded horrible. But, in comparison to the Disturbed-wannabee that the last guy was, maybe this guy is an improvement. :P

Fn Dan

Post by Fn Dan » Sun January 30th, 2005, 11:56 am

ratanda wrote:
I was very disappointed by this. He should have just called it "Accelerated Evolution-but-a-tiny-bit-heavier" I hope he doesn't release another SYL album if it's going to sound like this or the last one.
I really don't think it sounds at all like Accelerated Evolution. In fact, what it does sound like, a lot, is Physicist. I think the new album has a lot of influence from Physicist and a little bit of Infinity and City mixed in. But, comparing it to Accelerated Evolution? That's a BIG stretch, especially considering calling Accelerated Evolution metal is a stretch. I disagree completely...I mean...have you heard all the songs that were leaked? I can't think of a single one that sounds the least bit like AE. One problem you might be having with the album, is that the leaks sound pre-master/final mix. The guitars are pretty low in the leaked mp3s, and I think they'll be brought up in the final release. I really think Alien is the most experimental metal project (not counting his project EKO or Devlab) Devin has done so far.

ratanda
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by ratanda » Mon January 31st, 2005, 11:57 am

Fn Dan wrote:
ratanda wrote:
Fn Dan wrote:
Really...? Did you see them at Breakers last Saturday?
I saw the last part of their set, and missed the cover song. I know the singer was not happy with his performance, but what I heard sounded ok.

Zane

Post by Zane » Mon January 31st, 2005, 7:18 pm

Fn Dan wrote:

His name is Sean. He has been working with Jon from Halcyon for about 7 or years in various projects. He has lot a professional experience, although this is his first band in quite some time. I think his voice suits their music perfectly. I think there are way too many people who either (A): Growl like cookie monster, (B): attempt to sound like Geoff Tate, or (C): try to sound like cookie monster and Geoff Tate in a duet.

Zane

Post by Zane » Mon January 31st, 2005, 7:23 pm

Fn Dan wrote:
ratanda wrote:
Fn Dan wrote:
Really...? Did you see them at Breakers last Saturday? Maybe the guy was having a bad night or something...because he sounded horrible. They did a Dio song, and he was way off during one part, and it was painful to listen to. I actually walked out it was so bad. On the way out, in fact, I ran into one person who said, "this has probably got every dog in the neighborhood howling" and another person who said, "thanks for coming out tonight, but I'm sorry you had to see this." Everyone I talked to last Saturday thought the guy sounded horrible. But, in comparison to the Disturbed-wannabee that the last guy was, maybe this guy is an improvement. :P
Actually he was having an incredibly bad night. Although it wasn't nearly as bad as some would make it out to be. Not every show can be "Live At Budokan".

ratanda
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by ratanda » Tue February 1st, 2005, 12:40 pm

Fn Dan wrote:
ratanda wrote:
I really don't think it sounds at all like Accelerated Evolution. In fact, what it does sound like, a lot, is Physicist. I think the new album has a lot of influence from Physicist and a little bit of Infinity and City mixed in. But, comparing it to Accelerated Evolution? That's a BIG stretch, especially considering calling Accelerated Evolution metal is a stretch. I disagree completely...I mean...have you heard all the songs that were leaked? I can't think of a single one that sounds the least bit like AE. One problem you might be having with the album, is that the leaks sound pre-master/final mix. The guitars are pretty low in the leaked mp3s, and I think they'll be brought up in the final release. I really think Alien is the most experimental metal project (not counting his project EKO or Devlab) Devin has done so far.
I didn't think of the Physicist similarity, but yeah that is there. Alien reminds me of The Devin Townsend band and I stand by that. It doesn't sound exactly like Accelerated Evolution of course, which isn't what I said anyway. But when I listen to Alien I picture the Devin Townsend Band playing it and not the band that created City. If I don't hold Alien to the same standard as City its not as big a letdown.

Fn Dan

Post by Fn Dan » Tue February 1st, 2005, 1:55 pm

ratanda wrote:
Fn Dan wrote:
ratanda wrote:
I didn't think of the Physicist similarity, but yeah that is there. Alien reminds me of The Devin Townsend band and I stand by that. It doesn't sound exactly like Accelerated Evolution of course, which isn't what I said anyway. But when I listen to Alien I picture the Devin Townsend Band playing it and not the band that created City. If I don't hold Alien to the same standard as City its not as big a letdown.
No, I agree that Alien sounds like DTB moreso than SYL. In my case though, I prefer Devin's solo work to SYL, so I guess that's why I like it so much. SYL fans that aren't that familiar with Devin's solo work very easily could be confused.

Greg
WREKage Staff

Post by Greg » Tue February 1st, 2005, 3:14 pm

Daniel has a poster of Devin Townsend on his ceiling above his bed so he knows what he's talking about. :lol:

I like it, but it's definitely no City. Also every single song except for that cheesy 2 minute acoustic song has multiple fuck-bombs dropped in it so we won't be able to play any of it without some heavy editing.

Fn Dan

Post by Fn Dan » Tue February 1st, 2005, 5:42 pm

Greg wrote:Daniel has a poster of Devin Townsend on his ceiling above his bed so he knows what he's talking about. :lol:

I like it, but it's definitely no City. Also every single song except for that cheesy 2 minute acoustic song has multiple fuck-bombs dropped in it so we won't be able to play any of it without some heavy editing.
Supposedly, when the legit version is sent out to radio, it's going to have "radio edits". We'll see...

Hey...at least it's not a Dream Theater poster......... :wink:

ratanda
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by ratanda » Tue February 1st, 2005, 11:27 pm

Greg wrote:Daniel has a poster of Devin Townsend on his ceiling above his bed so he knows what he's talking about. :lol:
Haha I don't have a poster, but I think I do too.

Matt

Post by Matt » Wed February 2nd, 2005, 11:37 am

currently:

gorguts - the erosion of sanity
pestilence - consuming impulse
beheaded - recounts of disembodiment
brodequin - festival of death
isis - oceanic
Last edited by Matt on Thu February 3rd, 2005, 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

halcyonwayband@aol.com

Post by halcyonwayband@aol.com » Wed February 2nd, 2005, 10:30 pm

ratanda wrote:
Fn Dan wrote:
ratanda wrote:
Fn Dan wrote:
Really...? Did you see them at Breakers last Saturday?
I saw the last part of their set, and missed the cover song. I know the singer was not happy with his performance, but what I heard sounded ok.
Hey everyone....heard about the dialog on our last show and decided to jump in. Sean definitely had an off night - he had been complaining all day about sinus problems and thought he had a cold coming on and stuff - about 3-4 songs into the set his voice gave out for a minute from it. Naturally, that's the part of the set when we did "Rainbow In The Dark" and of course we get slagged for doing that song all the time anyway because it isn't "pure" enough....we love Dio and try to have some fun with the song. But he was very pissed about his performance that night on it.

I've worked with Sean for quite a while on some studio projects even before he joined Halcyon Way, and that show was definitely not representative of him as a singer. Anyway, we'll move on to the next show....

We're also still working on our full length - "A Manifesto For Domination" and hope to have that released relatively soon. The "Deliver The Suffering" CD that we had at the show the other day is 3 songs that we mixed down to release at the Prog Power show in September. If you don't have a copy of it hit me via email and we'll mail you one out.

By the way....NP:
In Flames - Colony
Queensryche - Operation Mindcrime
Soilwork - Figure Number Five
Zeromancer - zzyzx
Dark Tranquillity - Damage Done

Later.....
Jon Bodan | Guitars | Halcyon Way
www.halcyonway.com