whats everyone currently listening to????

open forum for any and all conversations

Moderators: Brian, Metalfreak, MS_39455, AtlantaMetal Staff

DeathfareDevil

Post by DeathfareDevil » Tue June 17th, 2008, 7:42 pm

JMincemoyer wrote:Caught! Yes, that would be me. I hope my reviews were "spot on" as the English like to say...I suppose I am "whoring" myself and Nachtmystium here, but be on the lookout for my upcoming Nachtmystium cover story with Terrorizer. I am quite proud of it. There's a surprise associated with the issue, but I have sworn an oath of secrecy...I can say that is it pretty rad.
Ah, well, despite my curiosity, I won't ask for any spoilers. I'll definitely look out for the Nachtmystium issue.

In fact it was your review of Portal's album that rang a bell, not only because it did what a positive revew is supposed to do -- made me want to hear the music (though I haven't yet) -- but because the talk of Lovecraft got my attention. It may be hard to tell, but my icon is of Erich Zann. H.P.L. rules.

JMincemoyer

Post by JMincemoyer » Wed June 18th, 2008, 6:42 am

DeathfareDevil wrote:In fact it was your review of Portal's album that rang a bell, not only because it did what a positive revew is supposed to do -- made me want to hear the music (though I haven't yet) -- but because the talk of Lovecraft got my attention. It may be hard to tell, but my icon is of Erich Zann. H.P.L. rules.
Thank you very much. It is always nice to get feedback, especially when such feedback shows that I am doing my job. You really should hear Portal. They are most certainly influenced by H.P.L. and they do an excellent job of incorporating that influence into their sound and lyrics. Both "Seepia" and "Outre" are excellent releases. I also recommend their "Lurker on the Threshhold" demo--came out between "Seepia" and "Outre"--that was released by Beer In Your Ear.

JMincemoyer

Post by JMincemoyer » Wed June 18th, 2008, 7:18 am

[quote="Kurt']My familiarity, or lack thereof, with Pink Floyd is inconsequential to my opinion of Nachtmystium's latest outputs.[/quote]

Then what are you basing your opinion or criticism on? Too clean? Not grim enough? The production is flawless, every instrument can be heard clearly and cleanly.

My reasoning is simple. For example, do you like Deathspell Omega or even Mayhem? It stands to reason, in a linear fashion, that is you disliked Jazz or improvisational music that you would dislike Deathspell Omega's latest, "Fas...", which is clearly influenced by the aforementioned styles? Concerning Mayhem, did you like "Grand Declaration of War?" Killer album, but hated because people had no appreciation (at the time) for the incorporation of electronic elements and changing vocal patterns, which are two or the largest criticisms of that work. I'm not trying to argue, just trying to understand.

JMincemoyer

Post by JMincemoyer » Wed June 18th, 2008, 7:18 am

Continuing...

My reasoning may be distorted, but say if someone who liked Nachtmystium had never heard Pink Floyd, there would be a strong possibility that they would dislike Nachtmystium's new direction because it is not a carbon copy of the Norse-inspired BM that the person was familiar with.

My experience with Pink Floyd is limited to "Dark Side of the Moon", "Animals" and "The Wall", but from those efforts I can hear Floyd's influence via the expanded song structures, free floating guitar work and psycedelic, spacey organs/electronics/synthesizers, etc. The three-part "Seasick" contains a not-too-black metal-sounding saxophone. Hawkwind appears to have provided some influence as well.

I am not familiar with Death In June. Have heard the name, of course, but have not purchased any?

kfoll

Post by kfoll » Wed June 18th, 2008, 7:56 am

Supreme Pain - Cadaver Pleasures
8)
----------------------------------

ScreamBloodyGore

Post by ScreamBloodyGore » Wed June 18th, 2008, 9:19 am

Paysage D'Hiver - Paysage D'Hiver

Kurt

Post by Kurt » Wed June 18th, 2008, 10:06 am

First of all, I do not remember bashing the new Nachtmystium release (well, save for maybe the cover track). I simply said I didn't get it.

Again, therefore it is safe to assume that my appreciation for the extreme metal genre is limited exclusively to the "necro-cult rehearsal tape only" style?

More entertaining still is that you bring up Deathspell Omega. No, I do not like their latest album, or any prior. The old albums easily get lost in a sea of albums which are similar but supersede them. Their "new direction" is a laughable display of marketing (take some pre-written Latin from Brave New World, throw some riffs together that are barely coherent....GO!). Of course, this issue is not very DsO-specific these days.

However, I will give you that one. No, I do not enjoy jazz.

I have not listened to Grand Declaration of War in some years. Therefore, I cannot really comment.

Back to our main discussion: the new Nachtmystium outputs. It seems if you tell enough people you are influenced by (insert whatever you want here, Pink Floyd, free-form Jazz, THE WILL OF HIM!!!, etc), people will run with it. I'm not saying that I can't hear where NM and crew are going with the 70s influence, but to use "Hey, it's influenced by...." as a disclaimer is fairly eye-brow raising.

Do keep in mind, I enjoy what I enjoy and dislike what I dislike. You asked for an explanation.

Further, I am not trying to suggest that your tastes are simply a result of good marketing, hah. I own every edition of Oaken Throne and the subject matter covered therein is appreciated on my part.

JMincemoyer

Post by JMincemoyer » Wed June 18th, 2008, 11:10 am

What are these albums you speak of that supersede Deathspell Omega? I must seek them out. And by old albums do you mean "Inquisitors of Satan" and "Infernal Battles", because if you're including "Si Monumentum..." in that grouping I think you might want to revisit that effort.

I honestly do not see DsO's new direction as "laughable." They appear to be making a concerted effort to distance themselves from everyone else in BM today.

Regarding Oaken Throne, thank you. Responses such as yours are confirmation that we are doing our job. We are starting work on No. 6 if you are interested.

Kurt

Post by Kurt » Wed June 18th, 2008, 11:18 am

I was including Si Monumentum in the "new direction" category.

As for the old DsO, and bands that supersede them, it was a fairly generic statement to compliment the fairly generic music of that era.

Going to give us an idea of what to expect in No.6?

JMincemoyer

Post by JMincemoyer » Wed June 18th, 2008, 12:26 pm

I apologize to all for getting off thread. But to answer your last query, some things should remain secret. I can say that I have sent interview questions and/or requests to Akitsa, Avsky, Vargr and Throneum. Whether all will be included remains to be seen. Others will be featured...with some pleasant surprises.

ProstheticHead12

Post by ProstheticHead12 » Wed June 18th, 2008, 4:33 pm

Wu Tang - 36 Chambers
Cephalic Carnage - Xenosapien
Fuck it, Dude, let's go bowling.

DeathfareDevil

Post by DeathfareDevil » Wed June 18th, 2008, 8:09 pm

Speaking of that new Nachtmystium (yet again), I must say that the instrumental ending segment of the title track, where the tempo gradually increases beneath a somber, midpaced riff, is fucking spectacular, and my favorite thing about the album. If you liked the drawn-out ending of "A Seed for Suffering" from Instinct:Decay, you'll have a nut over this one. The only contrasting drawback is that there's no soloing.

Brian
WREKage Staff

Post by Brian » Wed June 18th, 2008, 10:01 pm

Eminem - The Slim Shady LP
Snowden - Anti-Anti
Krisiun - Southern Storm
Deadbird - Twilight Ritual
Temple of Baal - Traitors to Mankind

kfoll

Post by kfoll » Thu June 19th, 2008, 8:58 am

Exulcerate - Remnants of a Cannibalistic Debauchery

God damn this shit owns me. Matt, you should check this band out. Seriously.
----------------------------------

necroodin

Post by necroodin » Thu June 19th, 2008, 10:16 am

Burzum - Hvis Lysett Tar Oss
Nocturnal Breed - Fields of Rot
Arcturus - Aspera Heims Symfonia
Swishahouse - Houston Hard Hitters Vol. 3 :O