whats everyone currently listening to????

open forum for any and all conversations

Moderators: Brian, Metalfreak, MS_39455, AtlantaMetal Staff

V-GER

Post by V-GER » Wed June 23rd, 2010, 8:32 am

Diana wrote:
Knucklehead wrote:You'd think I know better than to ask a compound question...
:lol: :lol:

Any of you old farts get that new Danzig? He seems pretty pleased with himself, but I'd like an opinion from someone else first.
It's streaming on AOL music site http://music.aol.com/new-releases-full-cds/#/10. I am a huge Danzig fan and there are some good songs on it. It's on par or a bit better then Circle of Snakes but I would wait till I find it in the used bin.

Knucklehead

Post by Knucklehead » Wed June 23rd, 2010, 8:45 am

DeathfareDevil wrote:Well ... I guess this is still black metal. Who the hell knows anymore.
I just saw an interview with Blake Judd, taken somewhere recently in Europe, where he addresses this very issue. He says that they aren't really black metal, because they don't have the philosophical/ideological/religious convictions associated with the genre. He says, essentially, that it would be intellectually dishonest to call themselves black metal and it would be unfair to genuine black metal bands like ... wait for it ... Watain.

EDIT: It was linked through Blabbermouth.

Diana

Post by Diana » Wed June 23rd, 2010, 10:16 am

V-GER wrote:
Diana wrote:
Knucklehead wrote:You'd think I know better than to ask a compound question...
:lol: :lol:

Any of you old farts get that new Danzig? He seems pretty pleased with himself, but I'd like an opinion from someone else first.
It's streaming on AOL music site http://music.aol.com/new-releases-full-cds/#/10. I am a huge Danzig fan and there are some good songs on it. It's on par or a bit better then Circle of Snakes but I would wait till I find it in the used bin.
This is what I expected. Thank you!

Nyarlathotep, I am not even going to be surprised when Danzig starts referring to himself in the third person. If he hasn't already.

badcarburetor

Post by badcarburetor » Wed June 23rd, 2010, 11:32 am

Listening:
A mix a friend made me of old Finnish or Swedish D-Beat. Not sure of the specifics, just that it kicks ass.

Open Mind - s/t
60s sych, very relaxing

Gun Club - 2CD collection
Madness and early LA punk rock. What's not to love.

Darkthrone - The Cult is Alive and Circle the Wagons
Staples of daily life.

Black Tusk- Don't recall the album name.
I need to spend some more time on these guys.

Nachtmystium - Black Meddles II (there's more to the name, I don't recall what it is)
I love this. The cross pollination of BM and dance party music was inevitable. Williamsburg was going to demand it sooner or later, so I'm just going with it.

Watain - Lawless Darkness
Just good, heavy, straight forward black metal with solid song structure. Definitely recommended if you like this shit at all.

Earth - The Bees Made Honey in the Lion's Skull
Man, I love this album. It's like a soundtrack to a particularly gritty Western. It makes me think of dirty, sweaty, card playing bastards like in The Proposition or something.

Supergrass - a variety of albums.
It had been a long time since I spun these guys Digging it again.

Die Hard - a variety of tracks
Straight up Swedish Venom worship. Nuttin' wrong with that....

Mau Maus - Punk Singles
Running into reference to these guys in a book I'm reading made me whip this out. It always seems strange that this band came from the very early LA punk scene. They've always sounded so UK82.

Dr. Know - Plug in Jesus
Classic early HC. Love it. God Told Me To is so badass and reminds me of that freaky 70s movie about Satan.

Type O Negative
Still such a cool and unique band. My love of Carnivore sometimes makes me forget about the brilliance of TO-.

Enthroned - A bunch of different shit
Getting ready for their show in August with Destroyer 666 and, hopefully, Nachtmystium and Black Anvil.

VOEGTLIN

Post by VOEGTLIN » Wed June 23rd, 2010, 12:15 pm

Gun Club and Dr. Know! :D

Snatchmysticum! :? :cry:
Chaos wrote: hell satan
ScreamBloodyGore wrote:Not many people know this, but other bands play, Manowar kills.

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Wed June 23rd, 2010, 1:58 pm

V-GER wrote: It's streaming on AOL music site http://music.aol.com/new-releases-full-cds/#/10. I am a huge Danzig fan and there are some good songs on it. It's on par or a bit better then Circle of Snakes but I would wait till I find it in the used bin.
Diana wrote:This is what I expected. Thank you!
Yeah, I listened to this earlier and pretty much standard Danzig. Bargain bin for sure. Thanks for the link V-GER!
Diana wrote: Nyarlathotep, I am not even going to be surprised when Danzig starts referring to himself in the third person. If he hasn't already.
I heard a great story once about Danzig working out in his backyard to his own music. Probably apocryphal but funny nonetheless.
Diana wrote: God damn fuckin shit
The Crawling Chaos

VOEGTLIN

Post by VOEGTLIN » Wed June 23rd, 2010, 2:24 pm

Danzig started to fall apart after recording title-track to Less Than Zero. Still waiting for the dude to turn into a fuckin werewolf on TV or something.
ScreamBloodyGore wrote:Not many people know this, but other bands play, Manowar kills.

Knucklehead

Post by Knucklehead » Wed June 23rd, 2010, 2:29 pm

His voice still sounds strong, but did anyone else find the Tom-Morello-pinch-harmonics distracting?

And that song "Black Candy" totally reminds me of "Like Herod" by Mogwai.

sleyja

Post by sleyja » Wed June 23rd, 2010, 3:20 pm

badcarburetor wrote: Gun Club
One of my faves.

V-GER

Post by V-GER » Wed June 23rd, 2010, 9:42 pm

Will be up most of the night so..................
KATATONIA: Night Is The New Day - What a killer CD, powerful, heavy, somber and beautiful!
OPETH: Deliverance
ENSLAVED: Monumension
TRIPTYKON: Eparistera Damones

Diana

Post by Diana » Thu June 24th, 2010, 7:01 am

Nyarlathotep wrote: I heard a great story once about Danzig working out in his backyard to his own music. Probably apocryphal but funny nonetheless.
Perfect.
VOEGTLIN wrote:Still waiting for the dude to turn into a fuckin werewolf on TV or something.
Wasn't there a rumor about Danzig playing Wolverine about a hundred years ago? I was pretty stoked about that. Hugh Jackman is no slouch (MEOW) but that would still be rad. Also I remember a rumor about Triple H playing Thor. I just decided that a Danzig/Triple H buddy comedy is a must. And Danny Trejo.

What were we talking about?

VOEGTLIN

Post by VOEGTLIN » Thu June 24th, 2010, 9:15 am

Diana wrote:
VOEGTLIN wrote:Still waiting for the dude to turn into a fuckin werewolf on TV or something.
Wasn't there a rumor about Danzig playing Wolverine about a hundred years ago? I was pretty stoked about that. Hugh Jackman is no slouch (MEOW) but that would still be rad. Also I remember a rumor about Triple H playing Thor. I just decided that a Danzig/Triple H buddy comedy is a must. And Danny Trejo.

What were we talking about?
I can't remember the story, but it was something like his agent gave him the script---this role's made 4 u, brah!---and for whatever reason, it never panned out. Danzig is Wolverine, right?

Diana

Post by Diana » Thu June 24th, 2010, 10:16 am

VOEGTLIN wrote:I can't remember the story, but it was something like his agent gave him the script---this role's made 4 u, brah!---and for whatever reason, it never panned out. Danzig is Wolverine, right?
Pretty obvious to me. But what do I know?

"Glenn Danzig is not Canadian. Rewrite this."
"Mr. Danzig, we know you're not Canadian. But the character is."
"Glenn Danzig is from New Jersey. This is horseshit. Rewrite it. And add more shirtless scenes."
"Yes sir, I'll tell them."

donkeytron

Post by donkeytron » Thu June 24th, 2010, 10:48 am

Swamp Thing--In Shame
Deftones--Diamond Eyes
Assuck--Misery Index
Blind Melon--Soup
Strife--In this Defiance
Blood Duster--s/t
Burnt By the Sun--The Perfect is the enemy of the good.
See you in Hell!

VOEGTLIN

Post by VOEGTLIN » Thu June 24th, 2010, 3:01 pm

Diana wrote:
VOEGTLIN wrote:I can't remember the story, but it was something like his agent gave him the script---this role's made 4 u, brah!---and for whatever reason, it never panned out. Danzig is Wolverine, right?
Pretty obvious to me. But what do I know?

"Glenn Danzig is not Canadian. Rewrite this."
"Mr. Danzig, we know you're not Canadian. But the character is."
"Glenn Danzig is from New Jersey. This is horseshit. Rewrite it. And add more shirtless scenes."
"Yes sir, I'll tell them."
Ha ha ha! There's a cartoon triptych for you, artiste. :)