No votes
Anthrax
6%
other...
28%

Total votes: 18

Matt

Post by Matt » Sun February 12th, 2006, 7:40 pm

hahah i never said they didnt influence a lot of people, i myself am i a metallica fan. anyone on this board who knows me would know i like them also.

BlazeTSU
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by BlazeTSU » Mon February 13th, 2006, 12:47 am

Matt wrote:and on top of that id say the only metallica album that was pure thrash was kill em all anyways, all the others had WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY too much slow to be considered thrash when compared to all the other thrash bands at the time. (in example - slayer, dark angel, coroner, sepultura (they were a little death metalish, but still thrashy)
i agree and disagree with you here. there really wasn't much of a thrash scene until slayer and metallica made it. some of you might disagree, but pure thrash, at least how i see it was made by those two bands.

go listen to metal pre - Ride the Lightning and then listen to it after Master of Puppets. even Slayer started sounding more "metallica-esque". sepultura underwent a huge change, anthrax as well and tons of bands followed suite(testament, kreator, sacred reich, forced entry.....etc...etc.).

i'm not saying that they all were trying to sound like metallica at all, but they obviously took note to how metallica was so melodic but still made you want to kick someone's ass at the same time. production cleaned up, riffs got tighter and metal started becoming something other than rock'n'roll or punk rock with solos.

i like this thread, i'm having fun seeing what everybody actually thinks instead of seeing how creative we can make someone want to committ suicide.

BlazeTSU
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by BlazeTSU » Mon February 13th, 2006, 12:52 am

and AC/DC was considered metal (by the public, i think they just wanted to rock and get laid)and like bob said.......no matter what the name meant, everybody freaked out about them. matter of fact, no one even knew what the name meant until all this "behind the music" crap started in the late 90's. i remember being a kid and coming up with a thousand different meanings for AC/DC. and everything we came up with had something to do with the devil.

motorhead was also another band that was considered metal but were just rockin'asses in leather and spikes.

both great bands for any genre and essential to metal no matter what their intention.

Matt

Post by Matt » Mon February 13th, 2006, 4:01 am

what was it anyways, antichrist, devils children. thats what i heard.

Metalfreak

Post by Metalfreak » Mon February 13th, 2006, 9:43 am

BlazeTSU wrote:
i agree and disagree with you here. there really wasn't much of a thrash scene until slayer and metallica made it. some of you might disagree, but pure thrash, at least how i see it was made by those two bands.
yeah I agree. I can see where Matt was coming from when he said he wasn't including aggressive bands, only the traditional metal bands. I see 80s Metallica as one of the first aggressive bands out there that influenced many other bands that are way more aggressive. (when I say this, I'm including Motorhead and Slayer as aggresive bands that influenced other bands) I guess Metallica could be considered a traditional heavy metal band with aggression. :P
BlazeTSU wrote: i like this thread, i'm having fun seeing what everybody actually thinks instead of seeing how creative we can make someone want to committ suicide.
:lol:

yeah I like this thread also. I'm doing a research paper on *clears throat* satanic music...yeah my professor thinks it'll be interesting.
They had you do a drug test and the forgot to test for drugs???

brutaldeath

Post by brutaldeath » Mon February 13th, 2006, 12:51 pm

metalfreak... you were not born when the 80's metal came out... lol
just busting your chops as usual since you bust ours....

i would have to go with megadeth from this list... :)

Metalfreak

Post by Metalfreak » Mon February 13th, 2006, 2:27 pm

brutaldeath wrote:metalfreak... you were not born when the 80's metal came out... lol
just busting your chops as usual since you bust ours....

i would have to go with megadeth from this list... :)
*gives you the finger* You were born when the Beatles were big! (just returning the favor!) :mrgreen:
They had you do a drug test and the forgot to test for drugs???

Matt

Post by Matt » Mon February 13th, 2006, 8:21 pm

the voices of atlanta metal have spoken and Maiden clearly is the winner.

Zane

Post by Zane » Mon February 13th, 2006, 9:26 pm

I would have to say that Powerslave was THe album that truly embodied metal in the 80's. Not that any other band in the list isn't worthy, it's just that Maiden(with Priest) were influences on the other bands in the list. Powerslave had all the right ingredients: tight harmonious leads, over the top vocals, occult imagery, and a tour that was the tour to end all tours. As far as I'm concrened, if no other bands ever toured again it wouldn't matter because Maiden laid the world to waste with the Powerslave tour. When i think of Maiden, Live After Death is the first thing I think of. Of course some will disagree, so that's fine, f**k you in advance.

TheKshatriya

Post by TheKshatriya » Mon February 13th, 2006, 10:52 pm

i want to see them so bad

Matt

Post by Matt » Tue February 14th, 2006, 8:14 am

Zane wrote:I would have to say that Powerslave was THe album that truly embodied metal in the 80's. Not that any other band in the list isn't worthy, it's just that Maiden(with Priest) were influences on the other bands in the list. Powerslave had all the right ingredients: tight harmonious leads, over the top vocals, occult imagery, and a tour that was the tour to end all tours. As far as I'm concrened, if no other bands ever toured again it wouldn't matter because Maiden laid the world to waste with the Powerslave tour. When i think of Maiden, Live After Death is the first thing I think of. Of course some will disagree, so that's fine, f**k you in advance.
Wish i got to see that damn tour

Strange

Post by Strange » Tue February 14th, 2006, 4:59 pm

I posted "Other" and by other I meant "SSSSSSSLLLLLLLLLLAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRR!!!!"

(and I really mean that. not just posting it to piss off the Wrekage crew... :D )

I think Maiden was a better band, (especially live! Nobody has ever put on a show like they do before or since) but I enjoyed 'tallica more. Either way, nobody defined Metal for me in the 80's like SLAYER did (and yes, I read the "not including thrash" disclaimer, but I think that genre definitions do a disservice to every band labeled by them). I also realize that posting this makes me sound like a complete tool, but I stand by it.

Strange
Let the joyous celebrations of Hell begin!

Matt

Post by Matt » Tue February 14th, 2006, 10:14 pm

Strange wrote:I posted "Other" and by other I meant "SSSSSSSLLLLLLLLLLAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRR!!!!"

(and I really mean that. not just posting it to piss off the Wrekage crew... :D )

I think Maiden was a better band, (especially live! Nobody has ever put on a show like they do before or since) but I enjoyed 'tallica more. Either way, nobody defined Metal for me in the 80's like SLAYER did (and yes, I read the "not including thrash" disclaimer, but I think that genre definitions do a disservice to every band labeled by them). I also realize that posting this makes me sound like a complete tool, but I stand by it.

Strange

hahah no one understands that i left slayer out because they are more extreme then the rest of the traditional heavy metal, even though i like slayer more than all the bands on that list except maiden.

WREKage-Paul
WREKage Staff

Post by WREKage-Paul » Wed February 15th, 2006, 3:57 am

Strange wrote:I posted "Other" and by other I meant "SSSSSSSLLLLLLLLLLAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRR!!!!"

Dude, that's the strangest spelling of "Clutch" I've ever seen. :twisted:

Strange

Post by Strange » Wed February 15th, 2006, 8:47 am

WREKage-Paul wrote:

Dude, that's the strangest spelling of "Clutch" I've ever seen. :twisted:
hahaha

Actually that would have been the answer to "Favorite non metal bad that some metalheads like."
Let the joyous celebrations of Hell begin!