Metal scenes

open forum for any and all conversations

Moderators: Brian, Metalfreak, MS_39455, AtlantaMetal Staff

BoB

Post by BoB » Tue August 17th, 2004, 11:22 pm

What is it that makes good metal scenes good? Is it the bands? the venues? the fans? cooperation of bands with other bands, venues with bands, etc?

:huh:

Greg
WREKage Staff

Post by Greg » Wed August 18th, 2004, 5:44 pm

A little bit of everything I'd say.

It seems to me that most "scenes" become "scenes" when some band or bands takes that gigantic next step from local act to national act, then everyone else around the country recognizes that area as a "scene" for metal. Look at bands like Slayer, Metallica, Anthrax, Death, Morbid Angel, etc., you immediately know them by the scenes they helped either create or make nationally known (Bay Area, New York, Florida). I think a combination of fan support fan interaction helps get them known as the best band(s), and it certainly doesn't hurt when the music you make is incredible to boot.

So which one of you guys' bands are gonna be the ones to put the Atlanta scene on the map? :3v1l:

BoB

Post by BoB » Wed August 18th, 2004, 5:49 pm

Mastodon is there, yet I don't think that's really changed the Atlanta landscape. I agree that it's probably a complex mix of things that make a good scene good. I also agree that having one or more bands that have "national credibility" is probably one piece. What are some other pieces?

Fn Dan

Post by Fn Dan » Wed August 18th, 2004, 6:49 pm

I really think fan support is the largest piece of the puzzle. We have several bands in Atlanta now, that if they were to get signed, could make a serious dent in the overall metal landscape and I think, ascend to greater things. The reason this hasn't happened, is that these guys can barely draw 50 people in their home town. Labels begin to take notice of bands, often, when they hear about and their following. I can't honestly say that any band in Atlanta has a following. Sure, lots of people hear their music on WREKage, call us up and tell how much it kicks ass, but do they go to the shows? Nope. If someone from a label does go to a show around Atlanta, seeing an empty venue will not make a good impression. With the number of bands in the U.S. today, you've got to really make an impression on labels. I really think it takes a fan-base to get a band to the next level. How many great bands have you heard say that their demo was shot down by every label, twice, before they got signed. And typically, they eventually got signed because someone at some label realized the band had a following.

AmoebicDysentery

Post by AmoebicDysentery » Wed August 18th, 2004, 9:11 pm

When I think of a scene, I think of bands from the same area that share characteristics. How many times have you heard a band described as "Floridian Death Metal","New York Death Metal" etc... When you hear a band described like this it automatically tells you what style this band plays. Hell, I've even heard many bands from overseas described as "New york styled..." How music is like pizza.

I wouldn't exactly say that Amoebic Dysentery have "made it", but I would say we have a following...But of course we usually play in our hometown to 3 people. We promote ourselves nationally and internationally within the style we play..cause most regular people think it sucks anyway. The national/international death/grind scene is pretty cool..I can go to a fest across the country or even across the world and already know lots of people and play to people that "get it"...not that theres that much to get. I wouldn't say that having a lack of a fanbase in Atlanta could prevent us from getting on a label like relapse (I could see it happening...albeit "underground series") because as far as the international scene..we're fairly known.

Eh..yeah. SOmething like that.

BoB

Post by BoB » Thu August 19th, 2004, 10:39 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Fn Dan+Aug 18 2004, 07:49 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Fn Dan @ Aug 18 2004, 07:49 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I really think fan support is the largest piece of the puzzle. We have several bands in Atlanta now, that if they were to get signed, could make a serious dent in the overall metal landscape and I think, ascend to greater things. The reason this hasn't happened, is that these guys can barely draw 50 people in their home town. Labels begin to take notice of bands, often, when they hear about and their following. I can't honestly say that any band in Atlanta has a following. Sure, lots of people hear their music on WREKage, call us up and tell how much it kicks ass, but do they go to the shows? Nope. If someone from a label does go to a show around Atlanta, seeing an empty venue will not make a good impression. With the number of bands in the U.S. today, you've got to really make an impression on labels. I really think it takes a fan-base to get a band to the next level. How many great bands have you heard say that their demo was shot down by every label, twice, before they got signed. And typically, they eventually got signed because someone at some label realized the band had a following. [/quote]
Good points. So maybe the new question is, how to get more people out to shows? I don't think it's a case of "there aren't enough people into metal" because we've all seen national acts draw well. And I don't think it's a matter of not having worthy Atlanta bands.

This is something that's perplexed me for sometime. It's also the reason why I refuse to use the "L" word to describe bands from Atlanta. I think being called a "local band" automatically makes people think you suck, or at least aren't worth their time. But despite my campaign against the L word, Atlanta bands still don't draw very well. So what's the problem?

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Thu August 19th, 2004, 12:03 pm

To me, I don't really care if there are 50 or 5,000 people at shows. Most of the time when bands come to Swayze's, there's a good crowd...even though it's maybe 80 people. When you go to a show at the Masquerade for a national act, there might be 300 people, and it's not as intimate. I like it both ways. :3y3s:

Fn Dan

Post by Fn Dan » Thu August 19th, 2004, 5:35 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Dump Pumpkin+Aug 19 2004, 01:03 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Dump Pumpkin @ Aug 19 2004, 01:03 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> To me, I don't really care if there are 50 or 5,000 people at shows. Most of the time when bands come to Swayze's, there's a good crowd...even though it's maybe 80 people. When you go to a show at the Masquerade for a national act, there might be 300 people, and it's not as intimate. I like it both ways. :3y3s: [/quote]
You have to remember, music is, unfortunately, an industry. While it may not bother the artist that they draw only 80 people, the label sure-as-shit is going to care. In fact, if a band does a tour that consisently draws 80 people, I'm afraid that tour will probably be their last. Music is a tough industry these days, and it's not the fault of the mp3 either. It's more of a problem with saturation, and getting people out to shows. I've been to many VERY good bands at the Masquerade, that drew poor crowds. The SYL/Samael show immediately comes to mind. I'm guessing that show drew about 250, tops, probably less. If the Masquerade had a metal show of large stature coming threw every week (which, this coming Fall, they will, maybe even multiple times a week), someone is going to get left out in the cold. It has nothing to do with fanbase either, but purely getting people out to shows. I really don't understand what the problem is. Either people aren't hearing about the shows, or they simply don't care. Has the mystique of the live performance not transfered to the generation of today? I don't get it, I really don't.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Thu August 19th, 2004, 9:52 pm

Most of the time the bands that will play at Swayze's are either on a label that doesn't care how much attendance they get or aren't on one at all :t01l3t:

WuDi, w/o competition

Post by WuDi, w/o competition » Sat August 21st, 2004, 4:30 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-bob+Aug 19 2004, 10:39 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bob @ Aug 19 2004, 10:39 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> This is something that's perplexed me for sometime. It's also the reason why I refuse to use the "L" word to describe bands from Atlanta. I think being called a "local band" automatically makes people think you suck, or at least aren't worth their time. But despite my campaign against the L word, Atlanta bands still don't draw very well. So what's the problem? [/quote]
It's so true. Two things that spring to my mind when 'local band' is said is poor-quality recording, and inexperienced in their live shows. Not always the case, but prejudices abound.

I think a more minor aspect of a thriving scene is the ability to find music. Well-advertised venues as well as successful record stores that cater to metal, both national and regional, help to fuel a good scene.

BlazeTSU
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by BlazeTSU » Sat August 21st, 2004, 4:48 pm

i think it takes bands and fans working together... making GOOD flyers, telling friends, and having a(or a few) venues that we can rely on. every big scene had clubs that embraced them. for a while it was hard to get people to shows b/c the only places to play were the masquerade and the 513 club. the masquerade was and still is too expensive for local shows and the 513 was great but most of the crowd was always punk.

and i started the atlanta metal forums to try to get some people involved in this scene b/c at the time there were a few really good bands playing to no one everytime they played. signs of dying was playing to an average of 4 people, i saw withered play their first show to 3 people....etc...etc...it was just depressing b/c i knew more people around here that liked metal and they either were too lazy or didn't know when shows were. i knew that TSU would at least play to 30-40 people everytime we played that would love the other local bands but didn't know about them so i made flyers for the forums and handed them out at a bunch of shows. i don't know if it helped a whole lot or not, but i know that at least for a while the locals were bringing in anywhere from 20 to 40 ppl.......and what sucks is that was awesome! it sounds like a bad turnout to have only 20 people at a show, but for atlanta's underground scene it was great.

WuDi, w/o competition

Post by WuDi, w/o competition » Sun August 22nd, 2004, 12:38 am

It sounds like instant death for anyone who wants to start a band around here...kind of disheartening...

Greg
WREKage Staff

Post by Greg » Sun August 22nd, 2004, 1:27 pm

Lack of information is definitely a big issue. Until atlantametal.net gets up and running there really isn't one all-reliable source for metal info in the area. Wrekage.org lists everything but it really isn't our place to provide more than that, that's part of what our show is for. Hopefully atlantametal.net will solve that problem and make it a one-stop site for all things metal around here.

It doesn't help that Atlanta is a city famous for its apathy either. Tech students especially are notorious for their blase attitudes about everything that doesn't involve either computer parts or drawings of scantily-clad japanese anime schoolgirls ~^____^~

BlazeTSU
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by BlazeTSU » Mon August 23rd, 2004, 11:35 am

not to mention the fact that atlanta is all about rap/hip-hop when it comes to music.

BoB

Post by BoB » Mon August 23rd, 2004, 3:13 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-BlazeTSU+Aug 23 2004, 12:35 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (BlazeTSU &#064; Aug 23 2004, 12:35 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> not to mention the fact that atlanta is all about rap/hip-hop when it comes to music. [/quote]
perhaps that's what Atlanta is known for but I don't believe it's the majority genre... just watch how national metal/hard-rock acts draw to confirm that there are fans here.

I think that cooperation is a big key, especially between bands. I think lack of cooperation is one of the biggest problems I've seen here, tho I do say that seems to be improving a lot lately. We'll all go further helping each other instead of only looking out for yourself. Cliques and fucking elitism don't help either... Wouldn't a more diverse crowd at shows help by sort of cross-polination? ie: Maybe somebody's not into grind until they come to see a non-grind band that they like playing with a grind band? I fucking hated Pantera until I saw them live back around 92 when they toured with a band I did like (now I just hate their recordings but respect their live shows).

Another thing that bothers me is to see a band bring a carivan of friends who pile out to see their buddies play and then disperse, leaving a near empty club for the bands before and after... Maybe if the bands try to convince their friends to hang out for the other bands, then those band's friends would hang out for their shows too - everyone's fan base increases. Bands are more eager to play with other, different, bands. things start to take off... :o