New Tool Mp3 (I dont like tool....)

open forum for any and all conversations

Moderators: Brian, Metalfreak, MS_39455, AtlantaMetal Staff

ProstheticHead12

Post by ProstheticHead12 » Mon April 17th, 2006, 8:52 pm

Sonically I agree with Matt and Holly, but I think Greg is on the right track with his comparison. The approach and listening experience is similar, mostly with newer Tool. I miss the angry Tool. I'll wait to hear the whole album before I make a judgement though.
Fuck it, Dude, let's go bowling.

Greg
WREKage Staff

Post by Greg » Mon April 17th, 2006, 10:19 pm

I think like most bands "angry" Tool disappeared as the guys got older. They're still plenty angry though (you need look no further than Lateralus' "Ticks and Leeches" for proof of that), and I'm psyched for the new album though. Supposedly it will be an angrier and darker album, given that 9/11 and an infinity of other shitty national and international stuff has happened for them to reflect on since Lateralus came out in May 2001.

As far as the ISIS comparison goes, obviously they don't sound the same (switching Maynard over to ISIS and vice versa would be a terrible idea), but the style comparison should be pretty obvious. Both bands rely heavily on buildup and tension and mood and emotion over the length of an album that doesn't let up until the last note is struck and is just a mind bending experience from start to finish. Neither band gives a fuck about song length or catering necessarily to what anyone wants to hear from them - they make music for themselves. If you happen to like it, great, if not, then go listen to something simpler. I was thinking mostly of Oceanic while making that comparison since it's the album of ISIS's freshest in my mind, and I can clearly remember after about the third time through it or so over the years thinking "this is just like listening through a Tool album".

Tool is on record as saying they're big fans of ISIS and have been listening to them a lot while recording this new album, so I'm guessing they at least see the similarities too.

Matt

Post by Matt » Mon April 17th, 2006, 10:25 pm

never heard lateralus, just anemia or whatever and the ones before that.

holly
WREKage Staff

Post by holly » Mon April 17th, 2006, 10:30 pm

Yeah, I stopped listening to Tool after AEnima, so I can't really say anything.
Even now, there's no way I could even go back and listen to that.

Greg
WREKage Staff

Post by Greg » Mon April 17th, 2006, 10:40 pm

Well I doubt either one of you would like Lateralus, but it runs pretty parallel to Oceanic in my opinion, which is why I brought them up in the first place.

fukrholestkhed

Post by fukrholestkhed » Tue April 18th, 2006, 11:40 am

i really like the new song...looking forward to the whole album

the tool/isis tour was rumored to be happening in europe, on the first leg of tool's string of tours, but isis is gonna be recording their new album...now the rumor is that when tool makes it back to the states in mid-late fall isis may be opening...but there were all kinds of rumors going around...people had pics of aaron turner & aaron harris in the studio with tool, so everyone was saying that they were doing guest appearances on tool's new album...who knows what is actual truth...we shall find out
play your gloom axe

Matt

Post by Matt » Tue April 18th, 2006, 1:02 pm

i hope not, id rather see isis at a small venue with a cool atmosphere

Matt

Post by Matt » Tue April 18th, 2006, 1:03 pm

holly wrote:Yeah, I stopped listening to Tool after AEnima, so I can't really say anything.
Even now, there's no way I could even go back and listen to that.
i remember aenima... the first 4 tracks or so were cool then it went to complete faggotry..... oceanic crushes all tool

Greg
WREKage Staff

Post by Greg » Tue April 18th, 2006, 2:37 pm

fukrholestkhed wrote:the tool/isis tour was rumored to be happening in europe, on the first leg of tool's string of tours, but isis is gonna be recording their new album...now the rumor is that when tool makes it back to the states in mid-late fall isis may be opening...but there were all kinds of rumors going around...people had pics of aaron turner & aaron harris in the studio with tool, so everyone was saying that they were doing guest appearances on tool's new album...who knows what is actual truth...we shall find out
Tool has made a career out of misinformation so I won't believe anything until it's actually sitting in my hands. Even the album title and track listings may be completely different come May 2nd.

holly
WREKage Staff

Post by holly » Tue April 18th, 2006, 3:32 pm

Greg wrote:
fukrholestkhed wrote:the tool/isis tour was rumored to be happening in europe, on the first leg of tool's string of tours, but isis is gonna be recording their new album...now the rumor is that when tool makes it back to the states in mid-late fall isis may be opening...but there were all kinds of rumors going around...people had pics of aaron turner & aaron harris in the studio with tool, so everyone was saying that they were doing guest appearances on tool's new album...who knows what is actual truth...we shall find out
Tool has made a career out of misinformation so I won't believe anything until it's actually sitting in my hands. Even the album title and track listings may be completely different come May 2nd.
Holy shit, it's the 90s all over again.

PorkishMetal

Post by PorkishMetal » Tue April 18th, 2006, 11:42 pm

The whole album has been leaked.. I'm listening to it now :) If its a fake, its a damn good fake.

The single sucks ass but the rest of the album is pretty good. Some pretty heavy (for Tool) Meshuggahesque parts here and there.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=C2ADFAC3

egg yolkeo

Post by egg yolkeo » Sat May 6th, 2006, 2:08 am

Whats with all these tool- mesuggah comparisons?Completely different imo.I like some of tools other stuff,but vicarious and Wings For Marie / 10,000 Days that i heard on wrek tonite just dont do it 4 me.
Infact u can shove the new tool up your ass sideways :D
new tool<new skinless

Greg
WREKage Staff

Post by Greg » Sat May 6th, 2006, 2:15 am

Hooray, internet confirmation that someone actually listens to the show! 8)

Metalfreak

Post by Metalfreak » Sat May 6th, 2006, 1:59 pm

Greg wrote:I think like most bands "angry" Tool disappeared as the guys got older.
yeah that's true. the angry stuff is just how they felt as adolescents/ young adults and those kinds of feelings typically go away as the musicians mature. unless you're a numetal band stuck on that kind of shit forever...
They had you do a drug test and the forgot to test for drugs???