what genre was/is the worst for metal.......

open forum for any and all conversations

Moderators: Brian, Metalfreak, MS_39455, AtlantaMetal Staff

which genre was worse for metal???

grunge
13%
nu-metal
50%
metalcore
38%

Total votes: 16

Matt

Post by Matt » Fri May 19th, 2006, 8:34 pm

nu metal had little effect ever on the underground. as did grunge. but metalcore which is now pretty much as big as nu metal ever was has a lot of kids considering metalcore bands to be "metal as fuck" and shit, and people thinking bands mixing up a lot genres i guess.

PorkishMetal

Post by PorkishMetal » Fri May 19th, 2006, 8:57 pm

Matt wrote:nu metal had little effect ever on the underground. as did grunge. but metalcore which is now pretty much as big as nu metal ever was has a lot of kids considering metalcore bands to be "metal as fuck" and shit, and people thinking bands mixing up a lot genres i guess.
I know of many people from high/middle school that thought Korn and Limp Bizkit were 'metal as fuck'

stalindrummer

Post by stalindrummer » Fri May 19th, 2006, 9:52 pm

I think metal needs a long overdue enema. :lol:

Metalfreak

Post by Metalfreak » Fri May 19th, 2006, 9:53 pm

stalindrummer wrote:I think metal needs a long overdue enema. :lol:
:lol: yeah that will fix the problem!
They had you do a drug test and the forgot to test for drugs???

Ecrypt

Post by Ecrypt » Fri May 19th, 2006, 10:35 pm

Greg wrote:Where's the hair metal option? If there was ever a genre that just collapsed upon itself from too many awful, awful bands imitating each other it was hair metal. I know a lot of us look back on it and it and it's kitschy and funny now, but the music other than the first few bands who were genuinely fn to listen to and playing purely for the have fun and get chicks part of it is still godawful.
Greg I think you hit the nail on the head. I remember when all that hair metal shit became uncool. when everything from the 80s was lumped into the same category of lameness even Iron Maiden and Judas Priest were looked down upon! all of this stuff runs in cycles and one day soon, after nu-metal and metalcore are long forgotten, kids will be looking back at Korn and Killswitch Engage with the same nostalgia that people today do with Motley Crue and all that stupid shit. 80's hair metal was just as much pop-music as boybands and rappers are. it was just as phony and hollow and when it died there was room for real, genuine metal bands to be heard. Something cool might come out of the eventual revolt against today's pop-metal

BlazeTSU
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by BlazeTSU » Fri May 19th, 2006, 11:43 pm

actually hair metal was far from "pop" in its early stages. we all know what it turned into but in its early years there was some really great music. the first motley crue is great, twisted sister was putting out good music by the late 70's and both of those bands were in the gutter of society back then. and ozzy's solo stuff was pretty damn good for a while. and even at the end you had skid row, who many of you will probably bash, but they were an awesome band with great guitar players and in my opinion the best singer to come out of the genre. and they got heavier as they went as well.

and on top of that, hair metal basically gave the underground something to hate and distance itself from. you wouldn't have found slayer touring with slaughter or death on tour with firehouse back then. also, everyone knew who bands like metallica and slayer were in the eighties and they knew the difference b/w them and bands like poison. with nu-metal, the general public thought that it was actually the "new metal". many people thought that was as heavy as it got. and with metalcore, like matt said.....they think they are as metal as it gets. grunge actually just weeded out all the metal garbage.

Matt

Post by Matt » Sat May 20th, 2006, 12:11 am

i think grunge seemed to put more of an end to the popular 80s hair trends. the first 2 ozzy cds are great, i dont really care for motley crue or twiststed sister but its better than shit like poison, and much better than stuff like spine shank, korn, coal chamber. as for metalcore, it was something new when it started with bands like earth crisis, all out war and overcast. and i have no problem at all with a lot of metalcore. the trends just exploded and it became something completely unoriginal. but theres just as much unoriginal death metal and grindcore out there, but no ones bitching because its not all over mtv and hot topic.

Mike
WREKage Staff

Post by Mike » Sat May 20th, 2006, 1:00 am

So, the problem is actually kids who don't know what the fuck they're talking about.
I mean, you can have the best music in the world being made right now, but if no one is bothering to turn off their Avenged Sevenfold and try something else, then it doesn't matter.

Matt

Post by Matt » Sat May 20th, 2006, 1:50 am

i have absolutely no clue what that meant

Mike
WREKage Staff

Post by Mike » Sat May 20th, 2006, 4:03 am

Matt wrote:i have absolutely no clue what that meant
Maybe it's not the music's fault but the idiots that keep listening to it and supporting it with their money.

BlazeTSU
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by BlazeTSU » Sat May 20th, 2006, 2:34 pm

no way mike! avenged sevenfold is kvlt as hell! horns up beotches!

NeuroNomicon

Worst Genre for Metal

Post by NeuroNomicon » Sun May 21st, 2006, 9:53 am

Any band claiming to be "metal" whilst having a DUDE wearing a fucking tube-top.

Mitch
WREKage Staff

Post by Mitch » Sun May 21st, 2006, 12:41 pm

Like people have already said, the bands that pioneered each of these genres were usually pretty good and had something creative. I think sometimes people just run out of things to do in a particular genre and it becomes really hard to make original and interesting music in it. And some genres putter out faster than others.
But to answer the question I would have to say nu-metal. Grunge sort of had the effect of returning the perception of metal to a serious one, and a lot of nu-metal reversed that.

Zane

Post by Zane » Sun May 21st, 2006, 5:39 pm

I really think metalcore is currently the worst. I do turn on Headbanger's knutsac from time to time and it might as well be one band. I was never into hardcore because I thought it sounded like poseurs trying to be Slayer. Now, all of a sudden, metal bands with decent riffs, are employing mostly skinny hardcore screamers to the vox. At least that's what I have been seeing. The guitarist who shreds and has some hair, the fat drummer with peircings, a bald bass player, and a singer who is desparatley trying to convince me he's badass even though he is about to get blown away by the next big gust of wind. I know this isn't every band, but i love sweeping generalizations. It's both unfair and funny.

holly
WREKage Staff

Post by holly » Sun May 21st, 2006, 6:02 pm

BlazeTSU wrote:no way mike! avenged sevenfold is kvlt as hell! horns up beotches!
That made me LOL.