what genre was/is the worst for metal.......

open forum for any and all conversations

Moderators: Brian, Metalfreak, MS_39455, AtlantaMetal Staff

which genre was worse for metal???

grunge
13%
nu-metal
50%
metalcore
38%

Total votes: 16

holly
WREKage Staff

Re: Worst Genre for Metal

Post by holly » Sun May 21st, 2006, 6:02 pm

NeuroNomicon wrote:Any band claiming to be "metal" whilst having a DUDE wearing a fucking tube-top.
Holy shit, I want photographic evidence of this.

holly
WREKage Staff

Post by holly » Sun May 21st, 2006, 6:04 pm

Zane wrote:I really think metalcore is currently the worst. I do turn on Headbanger's knutsac from time to time and it might as well be one band. I was never into hardcore because I thought it sounded like poseurs trying to be Slayer. Now, all of a sudden, metal bands with decent riffs, are employing mostly skinny hardcore screamers to the vox. At least that's what I have been seeing. The guitarist who shreds and has some hair, the fat drummer with peircings, a bald bass player, and a singer who is desparatley trying to convince me he's badass even though he is about to get blown away by the next big gust of wind. I know this isn't every band, but i love sweeping generalizations. It's both unfair and funny.
So Agnostic Front, Sick of It All, & Madball were ripping off Slayer?
This is seriously what you're trying to say?
:lol:

frankinzombie666

Post by frankinzombie666 » Sun May 21st, 2006, 6:18 pm

Zane wrote:. Now, all of a sudden, metal bands with decent riffs, are employing mostly skinny hardcore screamers to the vox. At least that's what I have been seeing. The guitarist who shreds and has some hair, the fat drummer with peircings, a bald bass player, and a singer who is desparatley trying to convince me he's badass even though he is about to get blown away by the next big gust of wind. I know this isn't every band, but i love sweeping generalizations. It's both unfair and funny.

Dont fucking look at me.

Matt

Post by Matt » Sun May 21st, 2006, 11:34 pm

im listening to prayer for cleansing, this was my favorite cd back in 9th/10th grade, i dont give a shit if its metalcore, this cd is exceptionally original for the time it came out, and for how simple it is, it has some really killer riffs, and you can hear a lot of death metal influence.

Greg
WREKage Staff

Post by Greg » Mon May 22nd, 2006, 11:52 am

holly wrote:
Every band post-Slayer has ripped Slayer off at some point I think.

Even that one Garth Brooks song "The Thunder Rolls" stole the thunderclap from Raining Blood I think...

Matt

Post by Matt » Mon May 22nd, 2006, 11:57 am

Greg wrote:
holly wrote:
Every band post-Slayer has ripped Slayer off at some point I think.

Even that one Garth Brooks song "The Thunder Rolls" stole the thunderclap from Raining Blood I think...

i wouldnt say rip off, but i bet every one of those bands would list slayer as an influence

holly
WREKage Staff

Post by holly » Mon May 22nd, 2006, 8:14 pm

Matt wrote:im listening to prayer for cleansing, this was my favorite cd back in 9th/10th grade, i dont give a shit if its metalcore, this cd is exceptionally original for the time it came out, and for how simple it is, it has some really killer riffs, and you can hear a lot of death metal influence.
LOVE LOVE LOVE that album.
I saw both reunion shows and they were amazing.

Zane

Post by Zane » Wed May 24th, 2006, 5:11 pm

:lol:[/quote]

Pretty much. I suppose I really don't give two shits for hardcore of any sort. Agnostic Front and Sick of it All were the bands in high school all the punks listened to , therefore i instantly hated it because i hated punk then. Back then it was about hair baby.Long glorious hair. AF and SOIA were bald and boring. I wonder how many people that will piss off? Oh well, i'm sure everyone will mamage......somehow(he said whistfully, then farted).

Zane

Post by Zane » Wed May 24th, 2006, 5:12 pm

Oh well, i'm sure everyone will mamage......somehow(he said whistfully, then farted).[/quote]

Mamage? Al Jolsen anyone?

holly
WREKage Staff

Post by holly » Wed May 24th, 2006, 7:12 pm

Zane wrote:
ho!!y wrote:So Agnostic Front, Sick of It All, & Madball were ripping off Slayer?

Pretty much. I suppose I really don't give two shits for hardcore of any sort. Agnostic Front and Sick of it All were the bands in high school all the punks listened to , therefore i instantly hated it because i hated punk then. Back then it was about hair baby.Long glorious hair. AF and SOIA were bald and boring. I wonder how many people that will piss off? Oh well, i'm sure everyone will mamage......somehow(he said whistfully, then farted).
I don't really think you were helping out your argument there.
"I hated them because someone else hated them, so they ripped off Slayer!"

BlazeTSU
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by BlazeTSU » Wed May 24th, 2006, 9:44 pm

Zane wrote:So Agnostic Front, Sick of It All, & Madball were ripping off Slayer?

i think, but i could be wrong, that she was mentioning agnostic front and sick of it all b/c of the
"The guitarist who shreds and has some hair, the fat drummer with peircings, a bald bass player, and a singer who is desparatley trying to convince me he's badass even though he is about to get blown away by the next big gust of wind"
statment. at least thats how i took it b/c i've never once actually thought those bands were "metalcore". but like i said, i could be wrong!

and holly,
zane did say that he loves "sweeping generalizations"

volley back to zane...
Long glorious hair. AF and SOIA were bald and boring.
seems someone was freshly missing hair saturday night........ :wink:

PorkishMetal

Post by PorkishMetal » Wed May 24th, 2006, 9:56 pm

Matt wrote:im listening to prayer for cleansing, this was my favorite cd back in 9th/10th grade, i dont give a shit if its metalcore, this cd is exceptionally original for the time it came out, and for how simple it is, it has some really killer riffs, and you can hear a lot of death metal influence.
I LOVE prayer for cleansing. I used to listen to them all the time.

holly
WREKage Staff

Post by holly » Thu May 25th, 2006, 2:10 am

BlazeTSU wrote:
Zane wrote:So Agnostic Front, Sick of It All, & Madball were ripping off Slayer?

i think, but i could be wrong, that she was mentioning agnostic front and sick of it all b/c of the
"The guitarist who shreds and has some hair, the fat drummer with peircings, a bald bass player, and a singer who is desparatley trying to convince me he's badass even though he is about to get blown away by the next big gust of wind"
statment. at least thats how i took it b/c i've never once actually thought those bands were "metalcore". but like i said, i could be wrong!

and holly,
zane did say that he loves "sweeping generalizations"

volley back to zane...
Long glorious hair. AF and SOIA were bald and boring.
seems someone was freshly missing hair saturday night........ :wink:
Nah, I mentioned them because AF, SOIA, & Madball are basically THE definition of hardcore.

TheKshatriya

Post by TheKshatriya » Thu May 25th, 2006, 2:38 am

Ive never really thought about it before tonight but Earth Crisis is considered a hardcore band, but they really are kinda metalcore ish. But I love Earth Crisis, excluding Slither of course. I like Integrity too, and theyre metalcore.

But whenever I think of metalcore I always think of shit like Norma Jean and As I Lay Dying, so its hard for me to pick metalcore even though I think its the one thats fucked metal up the most.

I also think its kinda gay to hate something just because a certain group of people listen to it. Sick of it All and Madball arent for everyone I know, and I know Zane wouldnt like them but its still kinda lame.

Matt

Post by Matt » Thu May 25th, 2006, 3:04 am

earth crisis was a metalcore band and a hardcore band, back when ideas were fresh and you didnt have to seperate the two genres because "metalcore" was trendy...... no one even started using the term metalcore until 4-5 years ago anyways when all the labels for genres kept getting more excessive, when its not death metal anymore because its brutal death metal, and its not hardcore anymore because its metalcore, its not grindcore because its deathgrind, etc........