Metal in movies

open forum for any and all conversations

Moderators: Brian, Metalfreak, MS_39455, AtlantaMetal Staff

BoB

Metal in movies

Post by BoB » Sun August 13th, 2006, 7:53 am

Just saw Talladega Nights and was surprised to hear Sepultura 'Desperate Cry' in the soundtrack. It was cool to hear it but made me feel old as dirt to hear something so "underground" when it debuted to be in a mainstream movie soundtrack...

good movie. Lumberg rocks.

necroodin

Post by necroodin » Sun August 13th, 2006, 10:09 am

The Cannibal Corpse cameo in Ace Ventura always comes to mind as a great moment.

Strange

Post by Strange » Mon August 14th, 2006, 9:26 am

...and the Nailbomb track being used in "To Die For."

I say more power to 'em. Real metal has always been and will always be considered underground. I just hate the starving artist mentality. I'd much rather see Akerfeldt on Cribs showing off his wall-size tv and in home studio than those fucktarded yin-yang twins
Let the joyous celebrations of Hell begin!

Holiday Rambler

Post by Holiday Rambler » Mon August 14th, 2006, 3:32 pm

Not that it's metal, but the Broken Flowers soundtrack is a bunch of pretty, mellow and obscure music surrounding Dopesmoker by Sleep. That always amused me.

Greg
WREKage Staff

Post by Greg » Tue August 15th, 2006, 6:19 pm

The Iron Giant was 100% metal!

:lol:

soulvoid

Post by soulvoid » Tue August 15th, 2006, 7:38 pm

I remember in "The River's Edge" they played a decent amount of Slayer , and in the movie "Less Than Zero" they used Slayer and Glenn Danzig , although the Danzig track wasn't really very metal at all.

ProstheticHead12

Re: Metal in movies

Post by ProstheticHead12 » Wed August 16th, 2006, 3:20 pm

BoB wrote:Just saw Talladega Nights and was surprised to hear Sepultura 'Desperate Cry' in the soundtrack. It was cool to hear it but made me feel old as dirt to hear something so "underground" when it debuted to be in a mainstream movie soundtrack...

good movie. Lumberg rocks.
I wanted to jump up and start headbanging when that came on. I was thinking that scene needed some better music and then WHAM! Sepultura!!

I enjoyed the movie as well, although it took me forever to figure out that was Lumberg.
Fuck it, Dude, let's go bowling.

TheKshatriya

Post by TheKshatriya » Mon August 21st, 2006, 1:04 am

Anyone see the extended scene in Ace Ventura with Cannibal Corpse? Its pretty funny, Ace gets on stage and sings and dances around and the bad guys who kidnap Dan Marino at the end are getting their heads stomped on. Go to you tube and type in Ace Ventura Cannibal Corpse. I think it was only on the tv version, not on dvd or vhs.

MS_39455
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by MS_39455 » Mon August 21st, 2006, 11:19 am

Don't forget Gummo...Bathory, Mortician, etc. Only the soundtrack makes the film bearable.

Matt

Post by Matt » Thu August 24th, 2006, 12:12 am

TheKshatriya wrote:Anyone see the extended scene in Ace Ventura with Cannibal Corpse? Its pretty funny, Ace gets on stage and sings and dances around and the bad guys who kidnap Dan Marino at the end are getting their heads stomped on. Go to you tube and type in Ace Ventura Cannibal Corpse. I think it was only on the tv version, not on dvd or vhs.
ive seen it, it rules, but it looks like ace is making fun of death metal when he does it..... and about arise from sepultura, i was in like kindergarten when it came out but i dont think it was "so underground", i heard it debuted like 102 on the billboard top 200.................. underground now, popular then!!!!!

BlazeTSU
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by BlazeTSU » Thu August 24th, 2006, 12:28 am

what about the Traces of Death movies. those had tons of death metal and grindcore on'em.

BoB

Post by BoB » Thu August 24th, 2006, 8:36 am

Matt wrote:and about arise from sepultura, i was in like kindergarten when it came out but i dont think it was "so underground", i heard it debuted like 102 on the billboard top 200.................. underground now, popular then!!!!!
By the time Arise came out Sepultura was popular amoung the underground metal community but was unknown outside of that. It has obvious staying power and grew in popularity as Sepultura got bigger.

http://www.popculturemadness.com/Music/ ... /1991.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1991_in_music
To summarize, in 1991 people were crushing each other at AC/DC concerts, Nirvana's 'Nevermind' debuted at #144, people believe Ozzy music causes suicide, Michael Jackson is huge, Damn Yankees were doing well and they forgot to mention Matt poo-poo'ed in his diapers while listening to 'Wheels on the bus'.

BlazeTSU
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by BlazeTSU » Thu August 24th, 2006, 11:45 am

yeah and its really not that hard to debut on the billboard charts. that is based on first weeks sales correct? not being a smartass, rather actually asking.

but if i'm right and it is just for first week sales then its not surprising that an underground band can debut high on those charts. the underground obviously has more devoted fans and more people chomping at the bit to get ahold of their favorite bands new cd.

Holiday Rambler

Post by Holiday Rambler » Thu August 24th, 2006, 11:46 am

I like stupid movies and Will Ferrell and I'd be hard-pressed to give Talladega Nights any more than 1.5 stars out of 4.

Matt

Post by Matt » Thu August 24th, 2006, 11:56 pm

BlazeTSU wrote:yeah and its really not that hard to debut on the billboard charts. that is based on first weeks sales correct? not being a smartass, rather actually asking.

but if i'm right and it is just for first week sales then its not surprising that an underground band can debut high on those charts. the underground obviously has more devoted fans and more people chomping at the bit to get ahold of their favorite bands new cd.
i know but im just saying, if it was so underground it wouldnt of touched the top 200..... thats like the same level norma jean and unearth albums are debuting, whether they stay or last, it may not be ultra mainstream, but its definitely not super underground is what im saying, death metal was huge in 90-91-92-93..... has nothing to do with quality because i fucking love all sepultura up to arise, and even some stuff on choas ad is good to me... but morbid, schizo, beneath, and arise are priceless metal gems in my opinion, underground or not......