What is everybody currently listening to?

open forum for any and all conversations

Moderators: Brian, Metalfreak, MS_39455, AtlantaMetal Staff

Matt

Post by Matt » Wed April 20th, 2005, 10:55 am

ratanda wrote:
Matt wrote:but i would like to hear the at cynic, i never really got into the robot vocals on focus, but ive always loved the cynic demos, and still enjoyed how amazing and relaxing the music is on focus.
Before Focus was released (the first time), they had a song, Uroboric Forms, on a Roadrunner compilation At Death's Door 2, and it was fucking awesome, and WITHOUT the robot vocals. So when Focus came out, my friends and I were salivating over it hurrying to get it into the CD player, and the robot vocals kicked in, and we all just looked at each other in utter shock. I didn't listen to it for about a month or 2 after that, and the robot vocals grew on me and I recognized the album for the fucking masterpiece it is.

hey dan,
was the version of Uroboric Forms on the Roadrunner Compilation different from the version that is on the 1991 demo tape? Yeah at first i couldnt get into the robot vocals, but that cd rules. It just takes time to really appreciate how awesome and original the music is.

ratanda
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by ratanda » Wed April 20th, 2005, 10:59 am

Greg wrote:How is the re-recorded Crown cd? Are the vocals better or worse?

I saw a special edition of it the other day that came with a live audio dvd and thought about picking it up.
Whether the vocals are better or worse only depends on which vocalist you like better. Both are good quality. At first I preferred Tomas's vocals mainly because I was so used to them with these songs. But now sometimes I'd rather hear the newer one, and sometimes I feel like listening to the older one. Oh, and the newer one has tiny bursts of clean vocals here and there! At first it took me completely by surprise and I didn't like them, but they grew on me and I do now.

If you're a Crown fan definitely pick this up. I was very curious to hear it with Johan's vocals, since it was the one Crown CD without him.

The only gripe I have with it is when news first came out that they were going to redo the vocals, it was reported that Death Metal Holocaust would be left untouched since both Tomas and Johan both sing on it and do lots of trading off. But Johan re-did ALL of Tomas's parts. I think they totally should have just let it be.

Post by post » Wed April 20th, 2005, 1:29 pm

I just got my hands on the strapping young lad album and im blown away. I didnt think it could get better than the last album but im blownaway! Its way more technical just as fast and heavy and very creative. The guitar solo on track six is great. this album is like a non stop assault and the production level is perfect.

ratanda
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by ratanda » Wed April 20th, 2005, 3:21 pm

Matt wrote:hey dan,
was the version of Uroboric Forms on the Roadrunner Compilation different from the version that is on the 1991 demo tape? Yeah at first i couldnt get into the robot vocals, but that cd rules. It just takes time to really appreciate how awesome and original the music is.
They're the same song. In the liner notes, it says it was taken from one of their demos.

VibrationsOfDoom

Speaking of Cynic....

Post by VibrationsOfDoom » Wed May 4th, 2005, 3:06 am

Speaking of Cynic... There's this girl that just moved to Buford, and she just so happens to be the ex-wife of Tony Teegarden!! Small world, eh? Her and I have been talking quite a bit, she's just set up shop in the area, and we've conversed quite a bit... So who knows, there may be a Cynic interview in the works in the next issue of V.O.D.!

VibrationsOfDoom

damnit...

Post by VibrationsOfDoom » Wed May 4th, 2005, 3:07 am

Damnit, where are my manners? Tony Teegarden did vocals and keyboards for Cynic, and I just found out is working with Jack Owen of Cannibal Corpse on a new project called Adrift...

BoB

Post by BoB » Wed May 4th, 2005, 8:00 am

The drummer from Atheist's first two albums supposidly lives in Alpharetta. You should interview him since, as good as Cynic was, Atheist kicked Cynic's ass...

Matt

Post by Matt » Wed May 4th, 2005, 10:17 am

the first two atheist albums kicked ass. but elements was kind of weak. i would take focus over elements any day of the week. and yes the old atheist drummer lives in Alpharetta. I think I actually saw him at Chili's once in Alpharetta with his wife/girlfriend about 4 or 5 months ago.

current playlist:
IMMORTAL - diabolical fullmoon mysticism / pure holocaust
MAYHEM - live in leipzig
IMMOLATION - dawn of possession
SEANCE - forever laid to rest
LEGIONS OF ASTAROTH - demo tape
HELLGOAT - promo cds

Mike
WREKage Staff

Post by Mike » Wed May 4th, 2005, 4:16 pm

Napalm Death - Scum
there's something about listening to 28 tracks in 33min that made me come back to this. Well that and for comparison to the new album.
Entombed - Wolverine Blues
Pig Destroyer - Terrifyer
Every couple of weeks I get really into this album again.
Behemoth - Demigod

Greg
WREKage Staff

Post by Greg » Mon May 23rd, 2005, 7:58 am

Nile - Annihilation of the Wicked
The Red Chord - Clients
Porcupine Tree - Deadwing
Hypocrisy - Into The Abyss

The new Nile is amazing. Almost all of the ambient acoustic stuff that always pissed me off by being right in the middle of every song has been trimmed into three short tracks dispersed throughout the album, while the rest is face-ripping metal goodness.

Mike
WREKage Staff

Post by Mike » Mon May 23rd, 2005, 8:47 am

Iron Maiden - Powerslave
Megadeth - Rust in Peace
Nile - Amongst the Catacombs of Nephren-Ka
Raging Speedhorn - How the Great Have Fallen

Fn Dan

Post by Fn Dan » Mon May 23rd, 2005, 8:34 pm

Lately, it's been:

Genesis - The Lamb Dies Down On Broadway
Swallow the Sun - The Morning Never Came