request from exile on WREK 91.1 rock radio

open forum for any and all conversations

Moderators: Brian, Metalfreak, MS_39455, AtlantaMetal Staff

erock

request from exile on WREK 91.1 rock radio

Post by erock » Mon October 16th, 2006, 5:09 pm

Regular rotation is weekdays 2-7, so we can listen to some metal during the week. call in and request some From Exile!

someone called it in today; i heard it by chance when i jumped in the car

404-894-2468

Vaxthrul

Post by Vaxthrul » Mon October 16th, 2006, 5:23 pm

hum......is this form 2 in the morning or two in the after noon?

Mike
WREKage Staff

Post by Mike » Mon October 16th, 2006, 5:43 pm

Rock, Rythym and Roll is from 2pm-7pm M-F.
You can request pretty much anything then, ie. Rap, Blues, Reggae, Rock, Metal. We have From Exile in regular rotation now. Opeth is also in there, soon to be joined by the new Mastodon.
You can request things that aren't in rotation. So by all means call up on your way home and request Obituary.

You can use the number or if you're near a computer, WREKDJ on AIM.

Greg
WREKage Staff

Post by Greg » Mon October 16th, 2006, 6:03 pm

Also to anyone who calls and requests something from the new Dr. Octagon or Tool albums, I will rectally bear your manchildren.

NeuroNomicon

Post by NeuroNomicon » Mon October 16th, 2006, 11:11 pm

Dr Octagon is the fucking shit.

"You that Dr. Octagon ass muthafucka, right? I'll tell you what. Take two of these and call me in the muthafucking morning. I'm Dr. Dooom."

I once had the pride of rapping with BLAKKELVIS@aol.com on AIM one night many, MANY moons ago.

Greg
WREKage Staff

Post by Greg » Mon October 16th, 2006, 11:24 pm

DR. DOOOM'S IN THE ROOOOM

Yeah, the Opeth, Tool, From Exile, Pelican, and Dr. Octagon albums comprise most of the 5% of stuff that is actually bearable to listen to on a non-friday on WREK. I suggest requesting them daily if you're forced to listen to a radio somewhere.

Everything else's cadence is off, its performance is garbage bag.

ProstheticHead12

Post by ProstheticHead12 » Tue October 17th, 2006, 9:06 am

Greg wrote:DR. DOOOM'S IN THE ROOOOM

Yeah, the Opeth, Tool, From Exile, Pelican, and Dr. Octagon albums comprise most of the 5% of stuff that is actually bearable to listen to on a non-friday on WREK. I suggest requesting them daily if you're forced to listen to a radio somewhere.

Pelican and Opeth are still in rotation? They both came out a long while back.
Fuck it, Dude, let's go bowling.

Greg
WREKage Staff

Post by Greg » Tue October 17th, 2006, 11:45 am

ProstheticHead12 wrote:
Greg wrote:DR. DOOOM'S IN THE ROOOOM

The Pelican CD just got put in a couple of months ago since the slack bastards I gave the CD to lost it, so I gave them a burned copy a while ago that they just added.

The Opeth CD has been in a while, it'll probably be retired soon. Everyone loves it too much to get rid of it yet though.

Metalfreak

Post by Metalfreak » Wed October 18th, 2006, 12:32 pm

Mike wrote:Rock, Rythym and Roll is from 2pm-7pm M-F.
You can request pretty much anything then, ie. Rap, Blues, Reggae, Rock, Metal. We have From Exile in regular rotation now. Opeth is also in there, soon to be joined by the new Mastodon.
You can request things that aren't in rotation. So by all means call up on your way home and request Obituary.

how does your station work when it comes to picking music? do you guys have a set rotation? we do and whenever our music department comes across a metal CD, they just give it to me instead. I don't think our music dep't would put Opeth in rotation though that would be awesome!

On 6/6/06, I slipped a Slayer comp CD I made into rotation and got yelled at for it a few days later...I did have permission from the then program director (he died a few months ago) but no one else knew about it.
They had you do a drug test and the forgot to test for drugs???

Greg
WREKage Staff

Post by Greg » Wed October 18th, 2006, 12:50 pm

Metalfreak wrote: how does your station work when it comes to picking music? do you guys have a set rotation? we do and whenever our music department comes across a metal CD, they just give it to me instead. I don't think our music dep't would put Opeth in rotation though that would be awesome!
We have different formats for different times of the day. Classical and Jazz in the morning, and Rock in the afternoon (which consists of rock, hip-hop, blues, reggae, and electronica-type stuff). All the specialty shows focusing on one genre like Wrekage, etc. are in the evening after 7 p.m. each day.

The way our music gets picked is there's a team of music directors who are responsible for listening to all the stuff sent in each week and determining if it's WREK-worthy or not. If they get something that's too metal it goes to us, too hardcore of hip-hop it goes to the hip-hop show, and so on, plus the specialty shows get their own mail anyways.

Since WREK is a bit more slack about everything than WRAS with the whole none of us really wanting to wind up being pro DJ's or going for a broadcasting degree or anything the music directors are usually pretty good about letting us put metal into rotation that appeals to a broad audience, like the Opeth, Tool, Pelican, Mastodon etc. albums that are in right now. Basically if we beg hard enough we can get metal albums in rotation pretty easily that won't scare people off that aren't expecting it.

WREKage-Paul
WREKage Staff

Post by WREKage-Paul » Thu October 19th, 2006, 12:05 am

Greg wrote:
ProstheticHead12 wrote:
The Opeth CD has been in a while, it'll probably be retired soon. Everyone loves it too much to get rid of it yet though.
Yeah, I picked it off the shelf this past Friday and noticed that its 'When have I been played?' label is almost full, now, so it'll probably get retired soon. Still pretty amazing to see that CD in rotation, with the green tape on the spine meaning "especially awesome shit." :D

ProstheticHead12

Post by ProstheticHead12 » Thu October 19th, 2006, 12:08 pm

Metalfreak wrote:

how does your station work when it comes to picking music? do you guys have a set rotation? we do and whenever our music department comes across a metal CD, they just give it to me instead. I don't think our music dep't would put Opeth in rotation though that would be awesome!

On 6/6/06, I slipped a Slayer comp CD I made into rotation and got yelled at for it a few days later...I did have permission from the then program director (he died a few months ago) but no one else knew about it.
Our rotation is a lot more relaxed than WRAS or WREK it seems. I screen/review nearly all the metal that comes through and most of it makes rotation. We've got Amon Amarth, Deicide, Goatwhore, Intronaut, etc. in right now. The DJ chooses a certain number of each type of rotation (regular, metal included; big releases; reissues; local; etc.) each shift. So we have lots of good stuff in but it's up to the DJ to actually play any of it.
Fuck it, Dude, let's go bowling.

Mike
WREKage Staff

Post by Mike » Thu October 19th, 2006, 7:25 pm

WREKage-Paul wrote:
Greg wrote:
ProstheticHead12 wrote:
Yeah, I picked it off the shelf this past Friday and noticed that its 'When have I been played?' label is almost full, now, so it'll probably get retired soon. Still pretty amazing to see that CD in rotation, with the green tape on the spine meaning "especially awesome shit." :D
The thing is they cover up or take off those stickers and put new ones on. I'm sure it's been through a few of them.

Metalfreak

Post by Metalfreak » Tue October 24th, 2006, 10:36 am

ProstheticHead12 wrote:
Metalfreak wrote:

Our rotation is a lot more relaxed than WRAS or WREK it seems. I screen/review nearly all the metal that comes through and most of it makes rotation. We've got Amon Amarth, Deicide, Goatwhore, Intronaut, etc. in right now. The DJ chooses a certain number of each type of rotation (regular, metal included; big releases; reissues; local; etc.) each shift. So we have lots of good stuff in but it's up to the DJ to actually play any of it.
your DJs pick what gets played? that's pretty damn cool! yeah same thing with WREK, we don't pick what's played (except specialty shows of course). I think DJs here at WRAS were able to play whatever the hell they wanted up until 1995 from my understanding. Things are pretty strict around here but it's probably a good thing cause eveyone's tastes are pretty different. (Also the FCC probably monitors us more cause of our huge wattage) For regular rotation, we have cards that are in a certain order (so genres don't get clumped together) and they're supposed to stay in that order no matter what. Everything is put into catagories of Heavy rotation, Medium, Light, Local, and Vinyl (we still play those :D ) and it's not based on genre. And every specialty show has the option of putting in a CD or 2 of the music their show plays. We have 3 music directors...the main one, urban music director, and rpm music director...so that basically means we have alot of rap and techno-ish type stuff in rotation and whatever the main music director likes. I'm technically the metal music director (I report to CMJ every week) but I don't get paid for it!
They had you do a drug test and the forgot to test for drugs???

WREKage-Paul
WREKage Staff

Post by WREKage-Paul » Sat October 28th, 2006, 1:04 pm

Paid? Money? Wow!

I don't think anyone at WREK gets paid, except for deejays who receive a pittance ($10 or something) for doing daytime shifts....is that right, official WREK-folk? :)