Musical creativity/originality

open forum for any and all conversations

Moderators: Brian, Metalfreak, MS_39455, AtlantaMetal Staff

AmoebicDysentery

Post by AmoebicDysentery » Thu July 8th, 2004, 7:59 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Dump Pumpkin+Jul 8 2004, 02:42 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Dump Pumpkin &#064; Jul 8 2004, 02:42 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Gorgasm isn't grindcore&nbsp; :lol:[/quote]
A metal message board isn't a metal message board until theres a "whats death metal vs whats grindcore" thread..good job!

Greg
WREKage Staff

Post by Greg » Thu July 8th, 2004, 8:19 pm

Haha yep, I too was wondering when all the genre elitism was gonna start...

This is exactly what Bob's getting at - labels are retarded and hamper creativity because a band feels like it has to make music to get labeled to be successful. People can't be happy just listening to what they like, it has to have a name and fit into a group and X band in X genre has to be better than Y band in Y genre. Why is that?

As far as making new music, the only way I can see that happening is for someone to come up with some kind of new instrument. For example, I really liked what the Blue Man Group did with all those PVC pipe instruments until they just completely oversaturated themselves in the media a few years ago and put themselves in every car and computer commerical in the world. Now I get nauseous when I hear or see them anywhere.

BlazeTSU
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by BlazeTSU » Wed July 14th, 2004, 12:53 pm

i think musical creativity comes from just a fresh way of looking at things. i think most people start bands and they do one of two things:

1. one person assembles a band to accomplish a certian style...ex. "dude, come play guitar in this death metal band i'm starting!" and then they automatically start following the death metal trend and they have to worry about staying within those confines to stay "true"

or

2. a few people get together and start jamming, decide to start a band and then they all talk about what style they are going to play.....ex. "well, we aren't sure what kind of stuff we are going to play, but its going to be cool"

nothing wrong with either......but

i think a remedy to this is to just write the music you feel. don't put tags on what you are going to do but just let it happen. and that doesn't just mean throw a death metal riff beside a breakdown that leads into the thrash and create deathcorethrashgrass or whatever. i'm just talking about clearing your mind and playing what you feel, and once you get a general direction to a song it usually fulfills itself in your mind anyway.

and as to what mike was saying about withered paying homage to some great underground bands i think thats great......i think that finding what you want to do and being passionate about it and doing it well is the main thing with music.....its all about emotion and delivery, not creativity anyway

Greg
WREKage Staff

Post by Greg » Wed July 14th, 2004, 1:06 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-BlazeTSU+Jul 14 2004, 01:53 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (BlazeTSU @ Jul 14 2004, 01:53 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> i think most people start bands and they do one of two things:

1. one person assembles a band to accomplish a certian style...ex. "dude, come play guitar in this death metal band i'm starting!" and then they automatically start following the death metal trend and they have to worry about staying within those confines to stay "true"

or

2. a few people get together and start jamming, decide to start a band and then they all talk about what style they are going to play.....ex. "well, we aren't sure what kind of stuff we are going to play, but its going to be cool" [/quote]
don't forget:

3. to pick up chicks.

:D

BlazeTSU
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by BlazeTSU » Wed July 14th, 2004, 1:15 pm

haha, not in metal!!!

dumpVokillist

Post by dumpVokillist » Wed July 14th, 2004, 3:02 pm

i think my favorite grind band would have to be Exhumed.

damn that is some sick grind Image

withered

Post by withered » Fri July 23rd, 2004, 2:43 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-BlazeTSU+Jul 14 2004, 01:15 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (BlazeTSU @ Jul 14 2004, 01:15 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> (Chicks) haha, not in metal!!! [/quote]
Amen, brother! It's hilarious when my girlfriend starts to get jealous about "the girls" that'll be at our shows when we tour. You'd have to be a big sexy hunk of man meat like Blaze or the guys from Dump to rake in the ladies. That's why we liked to play shows with TSU (besides they rocked).

And everyone is right. Just about every extreme genre, riff, drum beat, etc. has probably been written or at least something close has. So, what do we do?......Fuckin' A - WE ROCK ANYWAY!! LOL, all we can do is keep up with what's out there and do our best to support the stuff that really matters. If someone has a fresh take on something that's already been done to give them a "signature sound", we should encourage that so maybe, one day, creativity and originality can be rewarded. It seems that metal is getting a shot in the arm these days and is "cool" again. Hopefully this will help nurture some new music.

If you're playing music and you're not playing for you, you're misguided and should do something else. Be proud of what you write and write what really get's your blood pumping or what really tugs at your emotions. Music is 100% about emotional response (and maybe corpse paint) for all listeners.

Damn I love metal! I get so happy when I think about it.

Mike
WITHERED - tortured blackened doom

http://www.withered.net
http://www.myspace.com/withered

Greg
WREKage Staff

Post by Greg » Fri July 23rd, 2004, 3:31 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-withered+Jul 23 2004, 03:42 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (withered @ Jul 23 2004, 03:42 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> If you're playing music and you're not playing for you, you're misguided and should do something else. Be proud of what you write and write what really get's your blood pumping or what really tugs at your emotions. Music is 100% about emotional response (and maybe corpse paint) for all listeners. [/quote]
Yeah, I touched on this in the review I just wrote. It's kinda sad that metal seems to be stuck in a rut as far as bands coming up with something new, but the good metal albums/bands these days are the ones that play with that spark, that energy, that little something extra that pushes them over the top of bands just doing it for the sake of doing it. It's getting easier and easier to tell when a band is putting their heart and soul into their music as opposed to just pumping out album after album with one or two decent singles and ten filler tracks.

Or maybe we just need more gallons of corpse paint, who knows. :ch41n: