No Punks (or metal) Under God

open forum for any and all conversations

Moderators: Brian, Metalfreak, MS_39455, AtlantaMetal Staff

Vince

No Punks (or metal) Under God

Post by Vince » Tue April 24th, 2007, 3:44 pm

If you're as bewildered as I am by the phenomenon of "Christian" punk and metal, check out Brian Teasley's awesome blog "No Punks Under God" at http://www.myspace.com/teasley

BlazeTSU
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by BlazeTSU » Tue April 24th, 2007, 10:50 pm

being a christian myself i have plenty to say about this topic but i'll have to do it later when i'm not so damn tired.

i'll just say this

if you look through some of the christian punk/metal releases from years past it's hard to discount them and say that they were frail, hollow attempts to convert. albums like Zao's Where Blood And Fire Bring Rest, Living Sacrifice's Inhabit and Reborn, Training For Utopia's Plastic Soul Impalement, Extol's Burial, Mesmerized, Undeceived and Paralysis are far cries from mediocre bandwagon hopping albums. they represented true hate, fear, rebellion, anger and desperation no matter what ultimate message was sent through the bands beliefs.

but i don't believe in "christian music". i don't really find it a reality. music has no soul therefore it cannot have salvation on any levels. it has no power to save or condemn.

everyone has an agenda though.........christian or not. so i choose to leave a bands religious beliefs out of the equation when i'm listening and making my mind up to whether i like them or not. and just as i think its silly when christians only listen to "christian music" i think its equally ignorant to discount "christian" artists based soley on their belief system.

Brian
WREKage Staff

Post by Brian » Wed April 25th, 2007, 12:31 am

Like Blaze, I have a lot to say on the topic, but I'll say it when I'm not tired. The only thing I'll say right now is that religion has always been a part of metal, whether it is Satanism or Christianity. Who gives a shit whether a band has Christian/Satanic lyrics? If the music is good, listen to it. If not, turn it off.

Vince

Post by Vince » Wed April 25th, 2007, 1:08 am

I can't say anything that BT hasn't said better.

Mike
WREKage Staff

Post by Mike » Wed April 25th, 2007, 6:14 am

The funny thing about the majority of "Satanic" metal bands is their lyrics are really Christian. The blood and guts evil form of Satanism is just a reinterpretation or repeating of Middle Age Satan hysteria.
True Satanism has nothing to do with sacrificing babies on altars.

BlazeTSU
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by BlazeTSU » Wed April 25th, 2007, 7:52 am

i've known jay baker for years and years and i promise you all that he is as punk rock as it gets. he isn't "fake" or "faddish" as the blogwriter would say. matter of fact jay has much more to be pissed about and rebel against than most people can imagine. just b/c he has felt the true nature of God and Christ and can't shake it as hard as he has tried over the years doesn't make him any less punk........and to say so is assinine.

jay has a stance on life, religion, music and the mixing of all three very close to my own. he doesn't believe their should be a subculture and he backs this up in his everyday life. he doesn't beat anyone over the head with a bible and he never threatens anyone with hell. he is a down to earth guy that just so happens to have faith and love for not only Christ but the people around him.

jay has a story tell and platform to tell it so he does so without regard to what people say on message boards, myspace or in social circles. he has a stance and he is committed to it on all levels. how is that not punk rock?

Veneror

Post by Veneror » Wed April 25th, 2007, 8:16 am

Aren't we all...people? I mean, by being so one-sided in an argument and so condemning isn't it taking on the likeness of the exclusive/condemning Christians he's probably fed up with? We all feel. Our emotions and reactions, our questions and frustrations - they're very tangible and real to all of us and no one 'owns' any aspect of them exclusively apart from the rest of humanity. I'm a Christian and I'm HUMAN. The stuff of punk, hardcore, metal, etc. is elemental, driving and honest and that's why it's endured so powerfully. Not because it's non-Christian.
Last edited by Veneror on Wed April 25th, 2007, 12:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

necroodin

Post by necroodin » Wed April 25th, 2007, 9:32 am

BaaaaaaaaaaaaaaBAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaabAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

REAL MEN PIERCED JESUS

SPQR

MS_39455
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by MS_39455 » Wed April 25th, 2007, 9:50 am

...Living Sacrifice's Inhabit...
Buying that album and Mortification's Scrolls of the Meggiloth on a whim in middle school is what inadvertently turned me on to metal in the first place. I still play the early Extol relases, Shcaliach, Antestor, etc. pretty regularly.

necroodin

Post by necroodin » Wed April 25th, 2007, 10:26 am

aha Antestor.. WHITE METAL FOR CHRIST

Strange

Post by Strange » Wed April 25th, 2007, 12:27 pm

I always find it weird when a band chooses to define itself by a religion as if it is their purpose (which I guess in some cases it clearly is). But then I have no religion to speak of so who gives a fuck, right.

For me personally, as long as I like the music and the lyrics don't suck, I don't care if they worship the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

I give Jay Baker props just for having been raised in that environment and not winding up either a televangelist himself or a raving, shit smearing lunatic.
Let the joyous celebrations of Hell begin!

Metalfreak

Post by Metalfreak » Wed April 25th, 2007, 1:21 pm

Strange wrote:I always find it weird when a band chooses to define itself by a religion as if it is their purpose (which I guess in some cases it clearly is). But then I have no religion to speak of so who gives a fuck, right.

For me personally, as long as I like the music and the lyrics don't suck, I don't care if they worship the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

I give Jay Baker props just for having been raised in that environment and not winding up either a televangelist himself or a raving, shit smearing lunatic.
you said it!
They had you do a drug test and the forgot to test for drugs???

Blarg!

Post by Blarg! » Wed April 25th, 2007, 1:22 pm

Mike wrote:The funny thing about the majority of "Satanic" metal bands is their lyrics are really Christian. The blood and guts evil form of Satanism is just a reinterpretation or repeating of Middle Age Satan hysteria.
True Satanism has nothing to do with sacrificing babies on altars.
most bands couldent give two shits about lavey and his modern boring gay form of satanism though.

Vince

Post by Vince » Wed April 25th, 2007, 2:35 pm

BlazeTSU wrote:i've known jay baker for years and years and i promise you all that he is as punk rock as it gets. he isn't "fake" or "faddish" as the blogwriter would say. matter of fact jay has much more to be pissed about and rebel against than most people can imagine. just b/c he has felt the true nature of God and Christ and can't shake it as hard as he has tried over the years doesn't make him any less punk........and to say so is assinine.

jay has a stance on life, religion, music and the mixing of all three very close to my own. he doesn't believe their should be a subculture and he backs this up in his everyday life. he doesn't beat anyone over the head with a bible and he never threatens anyone with hell. he is a down to earth guy that just so happens to have faith and love for not only Christ but the people around him.

jay has a story tell and platform to tell it so he does so without regard to what people say on message boards, myspace or in social circles. he has a stance and he is committed to it on all levels. how is that not punk rock?
I thought punk was about being anti-establishment. Western Christendom is THE establishment of all eternity.

Strange

Post by Strange » Wed April 25th, 2007, 2:39 pm

Conforming to anti-establishment ideology is so conformist. :D
Let the joyous celebrations of Hell begin!