Favorite metal sub-genre?

open forum for any and all conversations

Moderators: Brian, Metalfreak, MS_39455, AtlantaMetal Staff

Metalfreak

Post by Metalfreak » Fri July 2nd, 2004, 3:46 pm

I noticed there weren't any polls up yet so I figured I'd put up something fun. I put the best answers I could think of. Yeah, I know we all hate labels but when you're trying to describe a band and you say something like 'brutal death metal' then they have a general idea of what they soundlike. anyway, Your favorite is?

mine's Black metal!
They had you do a drug test and the forgot to test for drugs???

ratanda
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by ratanda » Sat July 3rd, 2004, 11:03 am

Thats poll does look pretty interesting. I think prog and power should be split up into 2 different things though. I know a few people who like prog but hate power lol. I like both, so that's probably why I can see more differences in them than people who don't listen to them.

DarkWolfen

Post by DarkWolfen » Sat July 3rd, 2004, 4:50 pm

Where's goth metal? Or would that be considered doom metal? <_<

Metalfreak

Post by Metalfreak » Sat July 3rd, 2004, 7:06 pm

I had prog and power listed seperately at first but I ran out of answer space so I combined them.

@DarkWolfen - would you consider Tristania goth metal? I don't know, they have alot of different styles...
They had you do a drug test and the forgot to test for drugs???

Greg
WREKage Staff

Post by Greg » Sat July 3rd, 2004, 10:04 pm

I voted I like it all, because I really do. I try to reflect that in what I play on the show.

I tend to like heavier/more brutal sounding stuff and there are usually a lot of good, heavy-sounding bands in every genre you listed.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Sun July 4th, 2004, 11:01 pm

I like jazz-metal but I voted for death since it's my second favorite.

TheKshatriya

Post by TheKshatriya » Mon July 5th, 2004, 4:44 pm

I put i like it all. But i hate prog metal, it just is too...i dont know, but i dont like it haha, even though it is very talented. But i love power metal, but not the gay poser bands like Gamma Ray and Blind Guardian, i like bands like Helstar, Omen, Cauldron Born, Sacred Oath, Attacker, ect...

DarkWolfen

Post by DarkWolfen » Wed July 7th, 2004, 9:01 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-TheKshatriya+Jul 5 2004, 04:43 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (TheKshatriya @ Jul 5 2004, 04:43 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I put i like it all. But i hate prog metal, it just is too...i dont know, but i dont like it haha, even though it is very talented. But i love power metal, but not the gay poser bands like Gamma Ray and Blind Guardian, i like bands like Helstar, Omen, Cauldron Born, Sacred Oath, Attacker, ect... [/quote]
What is it that makes BG "a gay poser band?" I could see you saying that about Manowar or Rhapsody, but BG is actually fast and heavy, but I guess having some melodic qualities in a band just makes you feel like a queer huh? Its not the band that makes you feel like that bud. :lol:

DarkWolfen

Post by DarkWolfen » Wed July 7th, 2004, 9:03 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Metalfreak+Jul 3 2004, 07:06 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Metalfreak @ Jul 3 2004, 07:06 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I had prog and power listed seperately at first but I ran out of answer space so I combined them.

@DarkWolfen - would you consider Tristania goth metal? I don't know, they have alot of different styles... [/quote]
Yeah I would consider it goth. Definitely has gothic inspiration in it.

fukrholestkhed

Post by fukrholestkhed » Thu July 8th, 2004, 3:06 am

doom/stoner metal all the way...i like stoner metal so much because it relies on atmospheric noise
play your gloom axe

WuDi, w/o competition

Post by WuDi, w/o competition » Thu July 8th, 2004, 2:05 pm

Sub-genres are difficult, because that's like choosing one flavor of Pixy Stix, man. Fuck that. Just tear off all the little tabs and pour them ALL into your mouth!!
I mean, I like some Black, some Death, some Thrash, some Industrial, a lot of Grindcore, and I guess if you consider My Dying Bride (at least circa Thrash of Naked Limbs) doom or 'goth', then I like some of that, too.

TheKshatriya

Post by TheKshatriya » Sat July 10th, 2004, 10:37 pm

I just dont consider Blind Guardian to be a true power metal band. And just because it is melodic i dont think makes it gay. I guess you havent heard any of the other bands i listed under true power metal because they're all melodic. So stop assuming things.

WREKage-Paul
WREKage Staff

Post by WREKage-Paul » Tue July 13th, 2004, 4:15 am

I put down "all" because it's basically true, for me. I used to be almost exclusively a prog-metal fan (coming in from the Queensryche/Dream Theater direction), but nowadays I'm more into heavier/darker stuff...while still appreciating well-done prog (and some power-metal).

--And I like other styles of music a lot, too. <a href='http://www.paulcashman.com' target='_blank'>My website</a> has CD lists, etc.
Community host for WREKage
www.wrekage.org
Friday night, midnight 'til we get tired, 91.1 FM

DarkWolfen

Post by DarkWolfen » Fri July 16th, 2004, 7:30 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-WREKage-Paul+Jul 13 2004, 04:15 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (WREKage-Paul @ Jul 13 2004, 04:15 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I put down "all" because it's basically true, for me. I used to be almost exclusively a prog-metal fan (coming in from the Queensryche/Dream Theater direction), but nowadays I'm more into heavier/darker stuff...while still appreciating well-done prog (and some power-metal).

--And I like other styles of music a lot, too. <a href='http://www.paulcashman.com' target='_blank'>My website</a> has CD lists, etc. [/quote]
What power metal are you dabbling into, Paul?

WREKage-Paul
WREKage Staff

Post by WREKage-Paul » Sun July 18th, 2004, 12:02 am

Not too much. I like the Blind Guardian live CD and the new Edguy sounds okay. I keep meaning to play some Adagio on WREKage, 'cause I like 'em, but we've been getting a lot of requests and I've been running out of time.
Community host for WREKage
www.wrekage.org
Friday night, midnight 'til we get tired, 91.1 FM