Who is everyone voting for?

open forum for any and all conversations

Moderators: Brian, Metalfreak, MS_39455, AtlantaMetal Staff

ProstheticHead12

Post by ProstheticHead12 » Mon November 1st, 2004, 6:38 pm

i think the real trouble with the libertarian party becoming viable is that to most americans voting is a hassle and 2 choices is plenty enough. with 3 (or hell, maybe even more) choices people might actually have to think when they vote and that's just too much to ask. but i'd agree with paul in that i'm the same ideologically as the libertarians, but they're kind of a wasted vote. i won't get into wasted votes though. partisan dumbed down american politics piss me off :wh4cky: :wh4cky: :wh4cky: :wh4cky: and make me want to beat my head in like that guy. (never miss an opportunity to insert smileys!)
Fuck it, Dude, let's go bowling.

BoB

Post by BoB » Mon November 1st, 2004, 6:43 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-WREKage-Paul+Nov 1 2004, 02:06 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (WREKage-Paul @ Nov 1 2004, 02:06 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I consider myself to be a small-ell libertarian anyway, since that's the party that comes closest to my own views (fiscal conservatism, social liberalism). But the Libertarian Party itself is so completely out-of-touch with reality that they'll never be a realistically potent force in any election.

A shame, really. I admire their dedication, while screaming at the futility of it all. [/quote]
I look at the Libertarians as a utopian government, kinda like something from StarTrek. It makes great sense but a 100%-pure Libertarian government would never work given the way human nature is. However their points are still valid and act as good sanity checks.

I vote for any Libertarian in a local race. I used to vote Libertarian for presidential races to but it doesn't make sense. Given the way that the electorial college only lets your vote count if you happen to vote for the winner, I hate to say it but your L vote really doesn't count... Likewise your R or D vote doesn't count if you don't win. I think the electorial college really needs overhauled/abolished.

Vote early and vote often!

Andy

Post by Andy » Tue November 2nd, 2004, 11:00 am

are you queer or something?

yeah so what, voting. haha georgia isnt even a decidning state. or important state. bush has all the southeastern states anyways. FL too,

Jane Doe

Post by Jane Doe » Tue November 2nd, 2004, 1:29 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Andy+Nov 2 2004, 04:00 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Andy @ Nov 2 2004, 04:00 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> are you queer or something?

yeah so what, voting. haha georgia isnt even a decidning state. or important state. bush has all the southeastern states anyways. FL too, [/quote]
Yeah, the only reason why bush is liked down here is because he's redneck. Simple as that. He has a soutern accent adn he hunts like rednecks do. Kerry is more liked up north.

Eventhough Bush is a christian and I laughed when I noticed that some of you guys voted for him, Metal and Christianity don't mix. Kerry is pro-life(pro-abortion), now if you have a problem with that then you have aproblem with the first amendment.

Kerry 2004.

soulvoid

Post by soulvoid » Tue November 2nd, 2004, 5:36 pm

George W. Bush's 50 greatest accomplishments
I attacked and took over two countries.
I spent the US surplus and bankrupted the US treasury.
I shatterd the record for the biggest annual deficit in history (not easy)
I set an economic record for the most personal bankruptcies filed in any 12 month period.
I set all-time record for the biggest drop in the history of the stock market.
I am the first president in decades to execute a federal prisoner.
I am the first president in US history to enter office with a criminal record.
In my first year in office I set the all-time record for the most days on vacation by any president in US history (tough to beat my dad's, but I did).
After taking the entire month of August off for vacation, I presided over the worst security failure in US history.
I set the record for most campaign raising trips by any president in US history.
In my first two years in office over 2 million Americans lost their jobs.
I cut unemployment benefits for more out-of-work Americans than any other president in US history.
I set the all-time record for most real estate foreclosures in a 12-month period.
I appointed more convicted criminals to administration positions than any other president in US history.
I set the record for fewest press conferences of any president since the advent of TV.
I presided over the biggest energy crisis in US history and refused to intervene when corruption was revealed.
I signed more laws and executive orders amending the Constitution than any other US president in history.
I cut health-care benefits for war veterans.
I set the all-time record for most people worldwide to simultaneously take to the streets to protest me (15 million people), shattering the record for protest against any one person in the history of mankind.
I dissolved more international treaties than any president in US history.
I've made my presidency the most secretive and unaccountable of any in US history.
Members of my cabinet are the richest of any administration in US histiry (the poorest mulitmillionaire, Condoleeza Rice, has a Chevron oil tanker named after her).
I am the first president in US history to have all 50 states of the union simultaneously struggle against bankruptcy.
I presided over the biggest corporate stock market fraud in any market in any country in the history of the world.
I am the first president in US history to order a US attack and military occupation of a sovereign nation, and I did so against the will of the United Nations and the vast majority of the international community.
I have created the largest government department bureaucracy in the history of the US.
I set the all-time record for biggest annual budget spending increases, more than any other president in US history (Reagan was hard to beat, but I did it!!!)
I am the first president in US history to compel the United Nations to remove the US from the Human Rights Commission.
I am the first president in US history to have the United Nations remove the US from the Elections Monitoring Board.
I removed more checks and balances and have the least congressional oversight of any presidential administration in US history.
I renderd the entire United Nations irrelevant.
I withdrew from the World Court Of Law.
I refused to allow inspectors access to US prisoners of war and by default no longer abide by the Geneva Conventions.
I am the first president in US history to refuse United Nations elections inspectors access during the 2002 elections.
I am the all-time US (and world) record holder for the most corporate campaign donations.
The biggest lifetime contributor to my campaign, who is also one of my best friends, presided over one of the largest corporate bankruptcy frauds in world history (Kenneth Lay, former CEO of EnronCorporation)
I spent more money on polls and focus groups than any president in US history.
I am the first president to run and hide when the US came under attack (and then lied, saying the enemy had the code to Air Force 1).
I am the first US president to establish a secret shadow government.
I took the world's sympathy for the US after 9/11, and in less than a year made the US the most resented country in the world (possibly the biggest diplomatic failure in US and world history).
I am the first US president in history to have a majority of the people of Europe (71%) view my presidency as the biggest threat to world peace and stabilty.
I changed US policy to allow convicted criminals to be awarded government contracts.
I set the all-time record for the number of administration appointees who violated US laws by not selling their huge investments in corporations that later made bids for gov. contracts.
I have removed more freedoms and civil liberties for Americans than any other president in US history.
I have created the most divided country in decades, possibly the most divided that the US has been since the Civil War.
I entered office with the strongest economy in US history and in less than two years turned every single economic category heading straight down.
I have at least one conviction for drunk driving in Maine (Texas driving record has been erased and is not available).
I was AWOL from the National Guard and deserted the military during time of war. I refused to take a drug test or even answer any questions about drug use.
All records of my tenure as governor of Texas have been spirited away to my father's library, sealed in secrecy and unavailable for public view. All records of any SEC investigation into my insider trading or bankrupted companies are sealed in secrecy and unavailable for public view.
All minutes of meetings of any public corporations for which I served on the board are sealed in secrecy and unavailable for public view. Any records or minutes from meetings I (or my VP) attended regarding public energy policy are sealed in secrecy and unavailable for public review.

I Got out and voted , you do the same!

Greg
WREKage Staff

Post by Greg » Tue November 2nd, 2004, 7:00 pm

To be fair, about half of that list happened as a direct result of 9/11 or price inflation (stock drops, richest cabinet, etc.), can't be blamed on Bush, and would have happened no matter who was in office, and there are an awful lot of assumptions in there too.

Still, I hope everyone went and voted today. Even the queer christian rednecks whose opinions don't matter apparently.

soulvoid

Post by soulvoid » Tue November 2nd, 2004, 10:34 pm

Yeah I know , I just want him outta office anyhow, he makes my skin crawl.

fukrholestkhed

Post by fukrholestkhed » Wed November 3rd, 2004, 10:15 am

i dont care what anyone says about wasted votes on the libertarian party...i dont see it as a wasted vote...all you are doing is voting what you really feel...and every election, more and more people vote lib...and despite what people may say...you arent "wasting" your vote...you are showing the libertarians that they do actually have supporters, getting closer to giving them the 5% of the popular vote they need to get matching funds(even though they wont take it b/c of the fact that is against some of what they stand for)...

i voted libertarian, and will continue to in the future

and no, i wouldnt have voted for kerry, if i had to pick between the two, i would have voted for bush
play your gloom axe

WREKage-Paul
WREKage Staff

Post by WREKage-Paul » Wed November 10th, 2004, 5:20 am

<!--QuoteBegin-fukrholestkhed+Nov 3 2004, 11:15 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (fukrholestkhed &#064; Nov 3 2004, 11:15 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->i dont care what anyone says about wasted votes on the libertarian party...i dont see it as a wasted vote...all you are doing is voting what you really feel...and every election, more and more people vote lib...and despite what people may say...you arent "wasting" your vote...you are showing the libertarians that they do actually have supporters, getting closer to giving them the 5% of the popular vote they need to get matching funds(even though they wont take it b/c of the fact that is against some of what they stand for)...

i voted libertarian, and will continue to in the future

and no, i wouldnt have voted for kerry, if i had to pick between the two, i would have voted for bush[/quote]
See, the problem is, as long as a vote for the Libertarians is viewed as a "wasted" vote, they have no prayer of ever making a difference except, very occasionally, locally. If only they'd change their party planks and make their platform a bit more realistic.....

I wondered if Badnarak's presence on the ballot here in Georgia might make a significant difference in the voting results, since Libertarians typically draw their strength more from GOP-leaning voters than Democrats...and the other "spoiler," Ralph Nader, wasn't on the ballot at all here, and he draws more from Democrats. Doesn't look like it made much of a difference in Georgia, or nationally. (None of the networks covering the election mentioned Nader or Badnarak's influence, so I'm guessing they both polled pretty low.)

In the final analysis, I was dumbfounded that Bush won with such a wide margin. Not a huge margin, and not a "mandate," but he drew more than half of all votes cast, something that hasn't happened since his dad was elected.

Kudos to Kerry for realizing that Ohio really was firmly out of reach and conceding -- that's got to be a hard thing to do when you have 1,500 lawyers all chomping at the bit to Do Something About It And Get Paid Well -- and kudos to Bush for not claiming victory until later on Wednesday.

Now it's time for the Democratic Party to sit back and try to decide what the fuck went wrong.
Community host for WREKage
www.wrekage.org
Friday night, midnight 'til we get tired, 91.1 FM

BoB

Post by BoB » Wed November 10th, 2004, 9:24 am

<!--QuoteBegin-WREKage&#045;Paul+Nov 10 2004, 05:20 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (WREKage&#045;Paul &#064; Nov 10 2004, 05:20 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Now it's time for the Democratic Party to sit back and try to decide what the fuck went wrong. [/quote]
What went wrong for Kerry was that he came across as an intelligent liberal. Some people probably thought that despite everything wrong with Bush, if Kerry won then they would have to kill fetuses, pack fudge and become Catholic. Looking back at some of the stuff I've heard and read from Clinton since his departure from office indicates that he really is a pretty smart guy. What differentiated him from Kerry was that Clinton could dumb himself down to the public, increasing his likability.

As for 3rd parties, it's a shame that they're categorized as "3rd parties" ala sub-standard. The media never fairly acknowledges them thus the sheepish masses don't give them any credibility. Then there's the whole electoral college where every vote does not count. A lot of European countries have pretty cool voting systems where you can vote for multiple people but with weighted votes. For example, I could vote for Badnarak as my first choice Kerry my second. Badanarak would get a heavier vote from me but Kerry would get some too if Badnarak didn't win. Bush on the other had would have received nothing from me. That system reflects how I really feel as a voter whereas here the electoral college voted Bush on our behalf. :angry:

Oh well...

BlazeTSU
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by BlazeTSU » Wed November 10th, 2004, 9:37 am

so christianity and metal don't mix????? i guess i better turn my metal card into the metal authorities for my relationship w/christ.....not to mention i voted for bush...a bush voting christian has no place in metal!

and sorry bob, but kerry never showed himself to be an "inteligent" liberal...NEVER!
i won't argue points, b/c its just pointless..... :t01l3t:

and for all of you that based opinions off of farhenhiet 9/11...do yourself a favor and go rent farhenHYPE 9/11 and watch a multitude of democrats defend our president and expose michael moore to be the fat liar he is.

Zane

Post by Zane » Sat November 13th, 2004, 4:17 pm

Metal and Christianity don't mix? Well, well, well.
You said that to start something, right? You are an intolerant, Christ-a- phobe.hehehe. Really? You really believe that?
Any hoo, Kerry lost.
No one really liked Kerry anyway, Dems just voted for him to vote against Bush, which reeks of a dangerous movement("it doesn't matter that our guy sucks, we just need to be back in power!"). Democrats=Communists

ratanda
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by ratanda » Sat November 13th, 2004, 8:58 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Jane Doe+Nov 2 2004, 01:29 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Jane Doe @ Nov 2 2004, 01:29 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Metal and Christianity don't mix. [/quote]
Whatever your beliefs are shouldn't affect what kind of music you like, and vice versa. I don't care if a musician I like is Christian, Muslim, Jewish, etc.

WREKage-Paul
WREKage Staff

Post by WREKage-Paul » Tue November 16th, 2004, 5:12 am

Dan, I agree, just as long as said musician doesn't try to ram his or her beliefs down my throat.

The talking heads and pundits will be dissecting the election and trying to figure out why Kerry lost for YEARS. I don't think any single issue or cause can explain it. Hell....frankly, toward the end I didn't give Bush much of a chance of winning.

I think it comes down to a few things:

-- National defense and the war on terror. Bush was always perceived as being stronger on these issues than Kerry. The attack on schoolchildren in Chechnya showed that Islamic fundamentalism, and their terrorism, really is a global threat, not just a Muslim "fuck you" to all things American (and Bushy). Polls consistently showed that after that attack, Bush's approval figures among women (moms especially) increased significantly.
Usama Bin Laden also picked a realllly stupid time to trot out a new videotape, too.

-- Electoral "bounce" from gay-marriage amendments on several state ballots. Looks like this made a difference too, whether we like it or not.

-- "It wasn't the economy, stupid!" The Democrats had decided not to use the economy as an overriding factor in their ad campaigns back in the spring, because economic figures were trending upward. They decided to trot it out as an ad issue during the final months, but in the final analysis, either people didn't perceive the economy as being as weak as the Democrats were claiming, or they decided that the cause for an anemic economy wasn't entirely due to George W. Either way, the economy just wasn't as big a factor in people's decisions as the DNC was hoping.

Community host for WREKage
www.wrekage.org
Friday night, midnight 'til we get tired, 91.1 FM

BlazeTSU
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by BlazeTSU » Wed November 17th, 2004, 4:12 pm

Dan, I agree, just as long as said musician doesn't try to ram his or her beliefs down my throat.
i'm a christian and i hate that too. i've walked out of "christian" shows before b/c bands wouldn't shut up and play. i don't mind hearing what a songs about but at a show i go to hear music not a sermon.

examples of band "preachers" -

steve rowe of mortification
glenn benton of diecide(probably the worst of all)