9 Lives shutdown??

open forum for any and all conversations

Moderators: Brian, Metalfreak, MS_39455, AtlantaMetal Staff

Asrynth

Post by Asrynth » Wed October 20th, 2004, 9:12 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Asrynth+Oct 21 2004, 02:11 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Asrynth @ Oct 21 2004, 02:11 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <!--QuoteBegin-BlazeTSU+Oct 20 2004, 01:44 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (BlazeTSU &#064; Oct 20 2004, 01:44 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> this is crazy! its friggin retarded how atlanta has some really good metal and a lot of good rock and we can't keep our clubs open!&nbsp; theres millions of people in this stupid town that love rock and metal that sit on their buts and refuse to fork over &#036;5 to see a good show.&nbsp; i used to have some sort of "atlanta pride" or something but thats starting to fade a whole lot!

at least we still have the drunken unicorn, breakers and hopefully swayzes will be able to help pick up some of the slack........BUT who's going to pick up the larger shows???? the ones that the masquerade handles???? [/quote]
Yeah, whatever happens we need more metal shows around here, the scene has like abruptly died. Except for the Cernunnos show this saturday I dont know of any metal shows I really look forward to. [/quote]
I take that back, Daughter Of Lust at WREK in january will be good, but other than that nada.

WREKage-Paul
WREKage Staff

Post by WREKage-Paul » Sun October 24th, 2004, 7:44 am

Masquerade's official capacity is around 1,000 now (it was downrated after the Rhode Island fire). Earthlink Live is about 1,200 in normal mode, and they can also, apparently, open it in half-house mode. It'd be good to see metal shows there -- it's Atlanta's only venue designed from the ground-up for musical shows, aside from Atlanta Symphony Hall -- but the venue itself is too expensive to run for all but the largest metal shows. Still, there's more movement for metal shows at Earthlink than there used to be. They're really happy with ProgPower (Glenn gets a better deal now than he did back in 2000) and they did put in a bid for CoF.....

Re the Masquerade moving, fetish club or metal club, putting anything in Underground is a lousy idea...including ourselves.
Community host for WREKage
www.wrekage.org
Friday night, midnight 'til we get tired, 91.1 FM

BlazeTSU
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by BlazeTSU » Sun October 24th, 2004, 1:23 pm

well, capacity aside, earthlink is still too big for metal shows. i mean, morbid angel and suffocation didn't even fill all the nooks and crannies there are there to fall into. as much as you can say negative about masquerade, it's been a staple around here for a friggin long time. its going to hurt things when it closes.....

WREKage-Paul
WREKage Staff

Post by WREKage-Paul » Mon October 25th, 2004, 4:23 am

<!--QuoteBegin-BlazeTSU+Oct 24 2004, 02:23 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (BlazeTSU @ Oct 24 2004, 02:23 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> well, capacity aside, earthlink is still too big for metal shows. i mean, morbid angel and suffocation didn't even fill all the nooks and crannies there are there to fall into. as much as you can say negative about masquerade, it's been a staple around here for a friggin long time. its going to hurt things when it closes..... [/quote]
It would depend on the type of tour, I suppose. I think Tim told me that Morbid Angel did around 300-350 at Earthlink, which would be Bad, yep.

I'm guessing last Thursday's show at the Masquerade did about 800, which would be a decent crowd for Earthlink Live: I think the first year of ProgPower there did around 900, and it seemed comfortably full. Cradle of Filth will probably sell out the Masquerade, and that's the sort of metal tour that could be booked at Earthlink Live.

It's the in-between shows, that realistically would draw around 400-500, that we have to kinda worry about now. :(
www.wrekage.org

bid

Post by bid » Mon October 25th, 2004, 1:02 pm

Isn't Masqurade like opening 4 other clubs or something? I don't know any details, but I did hear just that.
bidyut

WREKage-Paul
WREKage Staff

Post by WREKage-Paul » Wed October 27th, 2004, 7:20 am

They've already opened one, called Paradise City, up in Alpharetta, but I think it's a dance club only...at least for now.
www.wrekage.org

bid

Post by bid » Wed October 27th, 2004, 1:31 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-WREKage-Paul+Oct 27 2004, 08:20 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (WREKage-Paul @ Oct 27 2004, 08:20 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> They've already opened one, called Paradise City, up in Alpharetta, but I think it's a dance club only...at least for now. [/quote]
Oh really? Where in Alpharetta?
bidyut

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Wed October 27th, 2004, 11:37 pm

Well, the Masquerade roof was going to collapse anyways...

ratanda
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by ratanda » Thu October 28th, 2004, 11:06 am

I can see the Masquerade opening multiple venues, since they had multiple floors housing different events. I guess they're kind of separating each section into its own venue.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Fri October 29th, 2004, 12:31 am

Personally I'd like something closer to me. I hated traveling all the way down to the Masq. I mean yeah a good show, but closer would be good. I donno where you all live but if they have a place more north of ATL I'd prolly see more shows.