mall stores piss me off!

open forum for any and all conversations

Moderators: Brian, Metalfreak, MS_39455, AtlantaMetal Staff

BlazeTSU
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by BlazeTSU » Mon November 15th, 2004, 4:48 pm

i almost puke everytime i make my way into a mall and see metal shirts in these gay trendy shops! even old school punk bands that were all against corporate america are in these corporate stores.

i saw OLD, way OLD metallica shirts along side AC/DC, pantera, dimmu borgir(screw them), darkthrone, the dead kennedys, black flag, minor threat, sepultura, anthrax....and more all in this old glory store in arbor place mall and i wanted to burn the place down. it pisses me off that these shirts get bought by trendy little fashion whores who probably haven't heard three songs by these bands and they hurt the heritage of metal and punk.

nothing is sacred these days!

i'm all about capatilism and making money but not this whoring of an eclusive group of DEVOTED people and their efforts that were never meant be hung in the halls of shopping malls! now every trendy bastard that has listened to the backstreet boys and brittney spears for the past 10 years can go out get some tattoos, go to the mall and buy some metallica and sepultura shirts and act like they've been down for life!

ProstheticHead12

Post by ProstheticHead12 » Mon November 15th, 2004, 6:10 pm

i see your point but not everyone who visits the mall is a teenybopper - and most of the bands you mentioned are quite good so what's the harm in exposing new folks to good music? i would think it might inspire the uninitiated to check out the history and heritage of metal. then again i dont view metal as an exclusive club.
Fuck it, Dude, let's go bowling.

WREKage-Paul
WREKage Staff

Post by WREKage-Paul » Tue November 16th, 2004, 4:50 am

Yeah, I don't mind too much seeing, say, Opeth, CoF or Dimmu Borgir t-shirts at Hot Topic, but it annoys me that the store doesn't carry the CDs to go along with the music, nor do they play extreme metal bands on their PA (not that I've noticed, at any rate). (Granted, they don't have much display space for CDs and their prices generally suck anyway, but still....)

If some nu-metal kid sees stuff from heavier bands at the local mall and gets into the scene, I'm not gonna blame him (or her) for it.....hell, we all had to start somewhere....
Community host for WREKage
www.wrekage.org
Friday night, midnight 'til we get tired, 91.1 FM

Matt

Post by Matt » Tue November 16th, 2004, 2:41 pm

nah i didnt start that way. i started getting into heavier music from compilations and a college radio show that only played death metal. fuck all the mall bullshit. burn it down.
your church was turned into an abortion clinic and we use it all the time... sluts!!!

BlazeTSU
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by BlazeTSU » Tue November 16th, 2004, 3:21 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-ProstheticHead12+Nov 15 2004, 06:10 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ProstheticHead12 &#064; Nov 15 2004, 06:10 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> i see your point but not everyone who visits the mall is a teenybopper - and most of the bands you mentioned are quite good so what's the harm in exposing new folks to good music? i would think it might inspire the uninitiated to check out the history and heritage of metal.&nbsp; then again i dont view metal as an exclusive club. [/quote]
i see your point, but the problem is that most of the kids buying up these shirts don't even listen to the music at all. they just get the shirt b/c its "retro" or something. i can't be the only person it pisses off to see mary kate and ashley olson wearing cut up ride the lightning t-shirts(as hot as it might be, you know they don't know anything about RTL)

and i said an exclusive group of DEVOTED people! not an exclusive club. metal has survived all these years through the underground, which is an exclusive group of devoted people.

to make matters worse, my fiance made me go to kohls the other day to buy some clothes for our honeymoon and what did i see? metallica shirts, and 4 albums worth of ac/dc shirts AT FREAKIN KOHLS!!!!(highway to hell, back in black, the razors edge, and for those about to rock) not to mention led zepplin and pink floyd along with bob marley!

and if all this was actually winning people over to metal or however you want to put it.....then great! it just upsets me for some kid to come up to me acting like he is all into metal then knowing nothing but the names of bands and thinking that killswitch engage is brutal! i'm just getting old and disgruntled i guess

Chris Masochist

Post by Chris Masochist » Tue November 16th, 2004, 5:21 pm

I haven't been to Hot topic in a long time but jeez, that store is the hot spot for those annoying mallcore/wannabe punks that think they are the shit, with they're spiky hair and stuff.

BoB

Post by BoB » Tue November 16th, 2004, 7:34 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-BlazeTSU+Nov 16 2004, 03:21 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (BlazeTSU @ Nov 16 2004, 03:21 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> and if all this was actually winning people over to metal or however you want to put it.....then great! it just upsets me for some kid to come up to me acting like he is all into metal then knowing nothing but the names of bands and thinking that killswitch engage is brutal! i'm just getting old and disgruntled i guess [/quote]
I wouldn't think that this merchandise is winning people over. Instead, seeing this stuff in kohls and the mall simply means that it is over (popular), hence a market and reason to carry the inventory.

I saw a kid in a store over the weekend w/ a Ride the Lightning shirt too. At the time I was somewhat impressed. Sure the kid wasn't a core fan who bought that album when it came out - I'm sure he was about 2 years old at the time. But I was impressed by the fact that some underground stuff that I was listening to 20 years ago is still floating around. Maybe the kid has never heard the album or maybe he thinks it's cool and knows every beat, riff & verse. I don't really care...

If you think about the whole 'underground elitism', it's really as bad as the poser scene. Sure there are the people who want to push the envelope and take music/metal to new places, but then there are those who just want to be different. As it turns out they're exactly the same as every other person wanting to be different (ala Little 5).

I'm not going to consult market trends, regardless of trend direction, to choose my listening material. :f1ng3r:

BlazeTSU
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by BlazeTSU » Wed November 17th, 2004, 3:10 pm

i'm not exactly an "elitist" by any means......what it really boils down to with me is that overexposure kills everything. that and the fact that metal isn't a passing trend for me. and it doesn't make me mad to see anyone in metal shirts, i'm just not into it for fashion reasons. i saw a ton of really young kids at the metallica show the other night that you could tell just loved metallica, as i do for their old material. kids in damage inc. shirts and justice hammer shirts, that brings a smile to my face.
I'm not going to consult market trends, regardless of trend direction, to choose my listening material.
AMEN!

:p1st0ls: fashionable metal :m0nk3yp33:

and bob, just an off subject question........why do you think that led zepplin is the most overrated rock band in history?....just wondering

BoB

Post by BoB » Thu November 18th, 2004, 12:58 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-BlazeTSU+Nov 17 2004, 03:10 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (BlazeTSU @ Nov 17 2004, 03:10 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> and bob, just an off subject question........why do you think that led zepplin is the most overrated rock band in history?....just wondering [/quote]
This isn't really far off topic at all. Zepplin was one of those bands that AOR stations clinged to and have been ramming into our heads every couple minutes across the entire country for 30+ years. It's not that they're bad but there were plenty of other bands from the same era/style that were just as good or better who recieve little or no airplay. Thus few people no about them and their shirts are not for sale at Kohls.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Thu November 18th, 2004, 2:23 pm

I own a rtl shirt that I bought recently and I wasn't even born when kill em all came out. Who cares though. After listening to all of Metallicas stuff thouroughly I have decided that rtl is my favorite Metallica album so I bought the shirt.

I am in favor of Hot Topic carrying a few good bands. Before I had a credit card the only places I could buy t-shirts were at hot topic and at shows. At shows t-shirts are &#036;25-&#036;30 and mediums usually sell out right away which is what I was wearing at 15-16 when I was first getting into metal. This is why I have like 4 medium Tool shirts.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Thu November 18th, 2004, 5:00 pm

:o Darkthrone t-shirt in malls??!!! I am pissed but i guess the band themselves will be more pissed to find out their merchandise in this fucking dump of modern society.

And my feelings towards people who hang around in malls...(imagine yourself as that pokemon)

:p1st0ls: :ch41n: :m0nk3yp33:

TheKshatriya

Post by TheKshatriya » Sat November 20th, 2004, 2:08 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-MaxX+Nov 18 2004, 02:23 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (MaxX @ Nov 18 2004, 02:23 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> . At shows t-shirts are &#036;25-&#036;30 and mediums usually sell out right away which is what I was wearing at 15-16 when I was first getting into metal. This is why I have like 4 medium Tool shirts.

[/quote]
I dont know what shows you go to, but youre retarded for buying a band shirt for &#036;30.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Sat November 20th, 2004, 11:29 pm

I was making the point that the reason I used to buy shirts at hot topic is because of the price of shirts at shows. Some of the bands I saw that had &#036;30 shirts were Dream Theater, Porcupine Tree, Opeth, Queensryche, Iced Earth and I figure there are a few others I am forgeting. Once I turned 18 and got a credit card I ordered like 10 band shirts the next day.

E.J. Diarrheaspray

Post by E.J. Diarrheaspray » Sun November 21st, 2004, 1:57 pm

I was in Hot Topic buying stickers and I heard some brutal Death Metal in their PA....probably because they saw me coming and changed the Sum 41 CD or whatever was in there. On a side note, it's a little strange to not see a bunch of people wearing XXXXXXXXXL outfits when they actually fit L in the mall here
:b4ldm3t4l: Colorado :b4ldm3t4l:

BlazeTSU
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by BlazeTSU » Thu November 25th, 2004, 3:12 am

<!--QuoteBegin-bobnoxious+Nov 18 2004, 12:58 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bobnoxious @ Nov 18 2004, 12:58 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <!--QuoteBegin-BlazeTSU+Nov 17 2004, 03:10 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (BlazeTSU &#064; Nov 17 2004, 03:10 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> and bob, just an off subject question........why do you think that led zepplin is the most overrated rock band in history?....just wondering [/quote]
This isn't really far off topic at all. Zepplin was one of those bands that AOR stations clinged to and have been ramming into our heads every couple minutes across the entire country for 30+ years. It's not that they're bad but there were plenty of other bands from the same era/style that were just as good or better who recieve little or no airplay. Thus few people no about them and their shirts are not for sale at Kohls. [/quote]
gotcha! i'm glad that you still think that they are good........just overrated. which makes total sense. i took your comment in the other thread as though you thought that they sucked.