Bah, cant find a decent record store.

open forum for any and all conversations

Moderators: Brian, Metalfreak, MS_39455, AtlantaMetal Staff

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Mon July 5th, 2004, 6:33 pm

I've been lookin all over the damn place for a decent metal record store, or at least a good place that sells metal, im getting sick and tired of ordering stuff online for rediculous prices, and never actually getting the ****ing albums i ordered...the only place that had metal was media play,but they're taking out the good stuff they had, now all they have is In Flames ,Morbid Angel and Atreyu..........so can anyone tell me where i can get some REAL metal? thanks guys

Fn Dan

Post by Fn Dan » Mon July 5th, 2004, 6:59 pm

Alex and Evan have a lot of good stuff in their store up in Marietta, <a href='http://www.deathgasm.com' target='_blank'>Deathgasm</a>, you should definitely check them out. Aside from them, Tower Records pretty much carries everything you'll ever want. They can be pricey though, very pricey. :P

DarkWolfen

Post by DarkWolfen » Wed July 7th, 2004, 1:13 am

<!--QuoteBegin-lepermessiah+Jul 5 2004, 06:32 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (lepermessiah @ Jul 5 2004, 06:32 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I've been lookin all over the damn place for a decent metal record store, or at least a good place that sells metal, im getting sick and tired of ordering stuff online for rediculous prices, and never actually getting the ****ing albums i ordered...the only place that had metal was media play,but they're taking out the good stuff they had, now all they have is In Flames ,Morbid Angel and Atreyu..........so can anyone tell me where i can get some REAL metal? thanks guys [/quote]
Well I miss Camelot personally. Like tower, they were pricey too. The only way I have seen to find metal in a mainstream place is if its a new album. They stock them but they don't ever seem to restock.

Media Play? I say bah to that, bud. I special ordered Everything Dies the single in 2000 from them. They said it would take a few days to arrive, bullshit. I spent waiting all of August, calling them asking if it ever came in. Well I would still be waiting if I hadn't exited on the deal. When I get to heaven, Media Play will owe me a month they took from me. Maybe I will supplanted back on earth with a month to live. Spending playing Anathema and classical music perhaps. :D

Fn Dan

Post by Fn Dan » Wed July 7th, 2004, 1:30 pm

Tower has pretty much anything you can ever want. For instace, I got the entire Death catalogue there. They have, pretty much any album you could want, except for Porcupine Tree's "Stupid Dream" (grumble, grumble), although you will pay dearly for many of them.

VibrationsOfDoom

Post by VibrationsOfDoom » Wed July 7th, 2004, 8:52 pm

Some of the import stuff like Spikefarm Records, etc. you aren't going to find in ANY record store in Atlanta. I suggest you turn to The End Records' mailorder, even Century Media does have good prices. For example, I ordered the newest Tenhi CD "Vare" (Prophecy Productions, Denmark or something I think label is based out of) AND the newest Moonsorrow "Suden Uni" (this is a regular CD with a bonus DVD of live footage) and BOTH CD's cost me no more than &#036;26 dollars, #13 a piece, which included shipping and handling. &#036;13 a piece for TWO import CD's, you can't beat that. So for mailorder, I recommend The End Records, Century Media mailorder and Dark Symphonies. Cheap prices and cheap shipping!

Metalfreak

Post by Metalfreak » Fri July 9th, 2004, 9:18 pm

yeah, the mail orders are great! Like somebody said earlier, check out Death Gasm records. That store is my heaven...metal on all four walls! Sometimes I'm able to find stuff at Criminal Records in Little Five Points. If they don't have it, ask them to special order it for you. That's what I always do!
They had you do a drug test and the forgot to test for drugs???

Greg
WREKage Staff

Post by Greg » Sat July 10th, 2004, 6:09 pm

I made my first visit to Deathgasm Records last night during the Misery Index show, and if you're remotely into underground black or death metal it will be like stepping through the gates of heaven (hell?) to you. They carry all the underground stuff on their label and other obscure European labels, classics from bands like Cryptopsy, Emperor, Behemoth, Immolation, etc., and a few hidden softer-metal gems such as Katatonia's debut album and Opeth's debut album on vinyl. There's also a lot of t-shirts hanging on the walls for sale and a selection of campy 80's horror flicks over in one corner.

Don't be fooled by its size - it's packed full of all the death/black/gore/grind metal you could ever want and more.

WREKage-Paul
WREKage Staff

Post by WREKage-Paul » Tue July 13th, 2004, 4:31 am

Gotta agree -- DeathGasm Recs is well-worth a visit. I'm not a huge grindcore fan but Alex has shown me some of the different CDs he's been carrying there, and it's more varied than I thought.

Beyond that, I'll sometimes check out Tower if I'm in a hurry to get a CD and it's not tooooo obscure. But only as a last resort since they DO tend to be pricey.

I'll add my support to <a href='http://www.theendrecords.com' target='_blank'>The End Records</a>, who are the best overall source of dark metal stuff I've found online. Usually inexpensive prices and free shipping!

Other online places to check out are <a href='http://www.darksymphonies.com' target='_blank'>Dark Symphonies</a> and, for primarily prog- and power-metal (and other lighter fare), <a href='http://www.lasercd.com' target='_blank'>The Laser's Edge</a>.

If you're local to Atlanta you can also check out the bimonthly Atlanta Record Show, which was held this past Sunday. Admission is just &#036;3 and at least one decent metal dealer, <a href='http://www.explodingneds.com' target='_blank'>Exploding Ned's Tunes</a> (based in Warner Robins) is almost always there. The next Record Show is the Sunday after ProgPower. (It's mostly CDs nowadays, but the Record Show has been around long enough that it started before CDs were widely used, hence the old-school name :) )
Community host for WREKage
www.wrekage.org
Friday night, midnight 'til we get tired, 91.1 FM

WuDi, w/o competition

Post by WuDi, w/o competition » Tue July 13th, 2004, 10:29 pm

...and yet ANOTHER loyal subjugate for DeathGasm Records. I picked up Cryptopsy and Thorazine, the latter of which was just ok. The music is exceptional but the lyrics lack a little.
Going back for some Cephalic Carnage, the old stuff! Because you can only find the latest slick produced and mixed major label release at Best Buy.

Does anybody recommend some good electronic-flavored death metal bands? How about the My Dying Bride album that features Thrash of Naked Limbs? What might it be titled? I picked up some crap from them called like, 38.7777% Complete, or something like that, and I was just wondering if the rest of their catalogue sounds like Thrash...?

DarkWolfen

Post by DarkWolfen » Thu July 15th, 2004, 10:38 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-WuDi+ w/o competition,Jul 13 2004, 10:28 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (WuDi &#064; w/o competition,Jul 13 2004, 10:28 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Does anybody recommend some good electronic-flavored death metal bands?&nbsp; How about the My Dying Bride album that features Thrash of Naked Limbs?&nbsp; What might it be titled?&nbsp; I picked up some crap from them called like, 38.7777% Complete, or something like that, and I was just wondering if the rest of their catalogue sounds like Thrash...? [/quote]
38.7777%, I heard clips of that online and damn if that sounded like complete shit. After buying Angel and Dark River, I stopped buying albums, well except when I bought Meisterpiece 1 and well that was a long story. Is the rest thrash? Well here's how its broken down.

Turn Loose The Swans
Alot of death metal, except a couple songs

Trinity
EP with all death metal except Le Cerf Malade and Crown of Sympathy (Remix)

Angel and The Dark River
clean vocals gothic metal/doom metal

Like Gods and The Sun
Clean vocals, uninspired lyrics doom metal

The album you are talking about with Thrash of Naked Limbs is the Thrash of Naked Limbs EP. :m3t4l: :ch33rs:

Greg
WREKage Staff

Post by Greg » Fri July 16th, 2004, 1:35 pm

Today I was in Media Play looking at DVD's, and while strolling through the CD section I noticed that they carry a lot more metal than I thought they would, though it's hidden in amongst all the pop crap. You'll have to look for yourself since they obviously won't have a card that says DYING FETUS in big letters to let you know where the Dying Fetus is, but there's metal hidden in the back of the stacks of CD's.

Among others I found albums by Anata, Amon Amarth, Kataklysm, Bloodbath, Emperor, Opeth, Children of Bodom, Dimmu, Behemoth, Vader, Black Dahlia Murder, Decapitated, Nasum, Misery Index, Dying Fetus, Vehemence, Soilent Green, Carcass, The Crown and a lot of others I can't remember off the top of my head. I was impressed to say the least. :b0unc3y:

So if you're really desperate and can't order stuff online try out your local Media Play, it may surprise you what you find. I don't know if it's uniform that they all carry that much metal or not, I was at the one in Morrow (about 20 mins. south of Atlanta near Southlake Mall) if anyone near there wants to go check it out.

DarkWolfen

Post by DarkWolfen » Sat July 17th, 2004, 2:01 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Greg+Jul 16 2004, 01:34 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Greg @ Jul 16 2004, 01:34 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Today I was in Media Play looking at DVD's, and while strolling through the CD section I noticed that they carry a lot more metal than I thought they would, though it's hidden in amongst all the pop crap. You'll have to look for yourself since they obviously won't have a card that says DYING FETUS in big letters to let you know where the Dying Fetus is, but there's metal hidden in the back of the stacks of CD's.

Among others I found albums by Anata, Amon Amarth, Kataklysm, Bloodbath, Emperor, Opeth, Children of Bodom, Dimmu, Behemoth, Vader, Black Dahlia Murder, Decapitated, Nasum, Misery Index, Dying Fetus, Vehemence, Soilent Green, Carcass, The Crown and a lot of others I can't remember off the top of my head. I was impressed to say the least. :b0unc3y:

So if you're really desperate and can't order stuff online try out your local Media Play, it may surprise you what you find. I don't know if it's uniform that they all carry that much metal or not, I was at the one in Morrow (about 20 mins. south of Atlanta near Southlake Mall) if anyone near there wants to go check it out. [/quote]
Mostly from the Media Play I go to, is they have the newest albums from a metal band but hardly ever the old shit. I never see anything new for foreign bands. :angry: