Minorities in Black Metal

open forum for any and all conversations

Moderators: Brian, Metalfreak, MS_39455, AtlantaMetal Staff

theRothstanator

Minorities in Black Metal

Post by theRothstanator » Tue March 24th, 2009, 9:35 pm

I am writing a paper for this sociology class (race and ethnic relations) and I was hoping for some help. I'm going to do a paper and presentation on black metal and focus in a bit on nsbm. Does anyone know of any black metal bands that have women or ethnic minorities as TOURING members? I'm looking for more traditional bands (not like super symphonic) and nsbm is a plus. I would be willing to stretch it to blackened death I suppose, as I really want to fit Arghoslent into it somehow. It would also be great if anyone had any recommendations for black metal with super racist lyrics that might not be aligned with nsbm.

Will or Evan, what band is that girl in that is on your fridge?

Also, does anyone know anything about the Brazilian NSBM bands Thallium or Command?
"Other than shame and guilt I am fine." - Melkor

ScreamBloodyGore

Post by ScreamBloodyGore » Tue March 24th, 2009, 9:42 pm

Astarte is a Greek black metal band with all female members, so plus one.

That's really all I know of off the top of my heyd (edit- concerning women in BM, that is).

Brian
WREKage Staff

Post by Brian » Tue March 24th, 2009, 10:04 pm

One of the dudes in Blasphemy is black.

Also, God Forbid lolololol

theRothstanator

Post by theRothstanator » Tue March 24th, 2009, 10:17 pm

Brian wrote:One of the dudes in Blasphemy is black.
Ha, I have on a page in my notebook "Blasphemy guitarist?" but I couldn't remember why I put it so I wasn't going to look into it anymore. Thanks.

deathgasmrecords

Post by deathgasmrecords » Tue March 24th, 2009, 10:42 pm

The girl whose picture was on my fridge is from Demonic Christ.

Another black metal band with a female member is Darkened Nocturn Slaughtercult (from Germany).

ScreamBloodyGore

Post by ScreamBloodyGore » Tue March 24th, 2009, 10:56 pm

Also, older Opera IX.

ProstheticHead12

Post by ProstheticHead12 » Wed March 25th, 2009, 9:55 am

Gallhammer is all female, but they aren't nsbm
Fuck it, Dude, let's go bowling.

MS_39455
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by MS_39455 » Wed March 25th, 2009, 11:57 am

Mystifier comes to mind for a band with minority members. No NS ties, but at least one black member. As far as racist bands without obvious NS tendencies, there's a band (recording project only, I'm sure) from the Carolinas that I've come across on a few occasions called Slave Whipping Blasphemy.

Metalfreak

Post by Metalfreak » Wed March 25th, 2009, 1:52 pm

ScreamBloodyGore wrote:Astarte is a Greek black metal band with all female members, so plus one.

That's really all I know of off the top of my heyd (edit- concerning women in BM, that is).
that was who I thought of.

I remember seeing a band awhile back who had an asian drummer...he wrote gook on his forehead! :lol: I can't remember if they were black metal or death metal...it's been awhile.
They had you do a drug test and the forgot to test for drugs???

theRothstanator

Post by theRothstanator » Wed March 25th, 2009, 3:18 pm

ProstheticHead12 wrote:Gallhammer is all female, but they aren't nsbm
Yeah, well that's like extra awesome since they are Japanese or whatever.

JMincemoyer

Re: Minorities in Black Metal

Post by JMincemoyer » Wed March 25th, 2009, 8:13 pm

theRothstanator wrote:Also, does anyone know anything about the Brazilian NSBM bands Thallium or Command?
Brazilians have now co-opted an NS stance? Interesting... I suppose they took "Boys From Brazil" to heart.

The NS/minority slant of your paper. What is your thesis statement? And the female tangent...care to explain?

Sigh features a female vocalist/saxophone player now.
Opal Enthroned plays keyboards in Necrophagia (again).
LSK666 plays bass in Hell Militia/Vorkreist and played in Antaeus.

At one time, I believe that Velvet Cacoon featured a woman, but I believe that VC is now a one-man project.

I'm not sure if the above examples fit with your requirements since none of them are actually "frontwomen".

Knucklehead

Post by Knucklehead » Wed March 25th, 2009, 8:47 pm

Let's not forget Gaahl. Surely, later Gorgoroth was inspired by Nietzsche, as were the Nazi's. I don't think anyone would classify them as NSBM, though.

theRothstanator

Re: Minorities in Black Metal

Post by theRothstanator » Thu March 26th, 2009, 1:49 am

JMincemoyer wrote: Brazilians have now co-opted an NS stance? Interesting... I suppose they took "Boys From Brazil" to heart.

The NS/minority slant of your paper. What is your thesis statement? And the female tangent...care to explain?

I'm not sure if the above examples fit with your requirements since none of them are actually "frontwomen".
Yeah, that was a great movie. As far as the Brazilian bands, those are interesting. I am going to use them as some examples but I am going to say that it is possible that these people are "white" people that are living in Brazil. Ah, race is a funny thing.

There is not really a thesis. It's more of a brief history of the genre and discussing racial implications. I chose to ask about women since they are technically a minority but this is really more of a sidenote. And yeah, I wasn't looking just for frontwomen so thanks.

So yeah, to clarify, does anyone know of members of black metal bands that are not white? NSBM was just a plus.

theRothstanator

Post by theRothstanator » Thu March 26th, 2009, 1:50 am

MS_39455 wrote:Mystifier comes to mind for a band with minority members. No NS ties, but at least one black member. As far as racist bands without obvious NS tendencies, there's a band (recording project only, I'm sure) from the Carolinas that I've come across on a few occasions called Slave Whipping Blasphemy.
Sweet.

JMincemoyer

Post by JMincemoyer » Thu March 26th, 2009, 6:45 pm

If you consider Asians "non-white" then: Impiety, Surrender of Divinity, Sigh (as I've mentioned), Cthonic (they might be too symphonic, but they do feature a woman in their ranks), Deiphago.

Bohemian Grove from Greece - no female members.