mixing/mastering?

open forum for any and all conversations

Moderators: Brian, Metalfreak, MS_39455, AtlantaMetal Staff

slut rag

mixing/mastering?

Post by slut rag » Thu June 25th, 2009, 9:31 am

so, my band has spent nearly 2 months with this one guy who is recording us. he has been extremely difficult and has taken his sweet time on just two lousy songs. two months on two songs....is too rediculous. anyway, he was using a mac and it suddenly died here recently and this is making him take even longer on taking our shit and mixing and mastering it. in fact, i think he is having some difficulties recovering our music (he bought a PC and now having troubles with that too). but all of the stuff is recorded and on a hard drive.

im just curious if anyone would know where i could take these hard drives and have someone recover, mix and master two songs in the atlanta area. personally, i would like to be there alongside whoever could do this as to make sure everything is being done right and sounds good. there may be like 30 seconds of screaming we may have to re-do as well. but that could easily be knocked out in 20, 30 minutes top.

if you know anyone...please, let me know. it would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

frozen

Post by frozen » Thu June 25th, 2009, 11:26 am

We (Sybaritic) went through a similar experience with our album dude. And Jamie Uertz single handedly saved our album from sounding like complete ass. I'll try to get you his number.

slut rag

Post by slut rag » Thu June 25th, 2009, 11:45 am

please do, man. i have never been so annoyed with someone in all my life. this guy is just really unprofessional and a complete jackass.

BlazeTSU
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by BlazeTSU » Thu June 25th, 2009, 7:16 pm

i've went and recorded with Matt @ Ledbelly for two albums and walked out with very good sounding recordings that took all of a day and a few hundred bucks to record. I've heard people talk some trash about Matt but I think that he is a great option IF your band is really tight.

click the link in my signature to hear some of the sounds we got on The Souls Unrest material. We spent all of 10 hours total in the studio with about $300 bucks and we walked out with our masters the same day. I'm not going to say that its the best recording ever but it far exceeds a lot of bands demo's and it took one day to get.....well worth the money.

MaleficSounds

Post by MaleficSounds » Thu June 25th, 2009, 10:32 pm

I can help you guys out. I have all the gear for a good recording. I'll do one song for free to show you how i work and if you like it we can talk about the next recording. If you want examples of my recordings just hit me up at somesaydeathx4@yahoo.com and I'll send you some files. And beleive me man I know the BS your going through....

TheKshatriya

Post by TheKshatriya » Thu June 25th, 2009, 11:38 pm

Matt at Ledbelly rules. My old band recorded a 7" with him and it sounds great. The quality is good enough for a big label.

Acidic Consumption

Post by Acidic Consumption » Fri June 26th, 2009, 5:03 pm

Malefic Sounds wrote:
I can help you guys out. I have all the gear for a good recording. I'll do one song for free to show you how i work and if you like it we can talk about the next recording. If you want examples of my recordings just hit me up at somesaydeathx4@yahoo.com and I'll send you some files. And beleive me man I know the BS your going through....
Wassup Devin...as soon as we get a song or two going with the new project i'll be hitting u up to come out bro.

CPrins

Post by CPrins » Fri June 26th, 2009, 6:08 pm

Jari Maenpaa wouldn't happen to be the guy who is recording you, would he?

8)

slut rag

Post by slut rag » Fri June 26th, 2009, 6:13 pm

malefic, i will definitely keep you in mind when we actually start practicing again and we get our chops back up and want to record something. havent played with the band in like...3 months now thanks to recording, members being in jail, members being in the hospital, fucking macs dying. its like a curse has been with us since we have tried to record. oh well. shit happens. how far would you be from the jonesboro (20 miles south of atlanta) area. most of us live around that part anyway...

talked to the guy recording us and it sounds like he wants to get shit together and finish everything. im actually about to go over there now and see whats up. but thanks for the responses everyone. i would definitely want to try working with someone else (malefic) the next time we record.

slut rag

Post by slut rag » Fri June 26th, 2009, 6:13 pm

[quote="CPrins"]Jari Maenpaa wouldn't happen to be the guy who is recording you, would he?

8)[/quote]

no...his name is eric rape (yes, i know that last name gets a lot of slack).

MaleficSounds

Post by MaleficSounds » Fri June 26th, 2009, 10:44 pm

slut rag - cool man, definetly keep me in mind. I'm a musician who can do drums guitar and vocals so I have a good idea on a musicians perspective as far as recording goes. I still have some things to learn for sure but i can promise satisfaction. I live about 30 min.s north of Atlanta in Acworth soon moving to woodstock in a month. So it would be about an hour drive or so. Just let me know if your interested man. Don't think I'll be doing away with any recording equipment anytime soon.

Shane - Yeah dude hit me up or send me a message dude. GET IT GOING!!!! So i can record you guys! hahahhaha.

Ecrypt

Post by Ecrypt » Wed July 1st, 2009, 10:21 am

I got my recent recordings mastered by Brian Mesler out of McDonough. He's a frikin audio genious. He does mixing and all but he's also trying to build up a portfolio of "master only" projects so I'm sure he could help you out real reasonably with either mixing or mastering. Let me know if you would like his info, don't want to just put his number on here..
I also do some engineering myself if I may be of service..
And if you're working with the same Eric Rape that I knew then I'm surprised that he you got this far.

GameFreac

Post by GameFreac » Wed July 1st, 2009, 1:29 pm

Is this a good career? This is what I'm thinking about doing...mixing/producing/engineering etc.

slut rag

Post by slut rag » Sun July 5th, 2009, 8:16 am

i really do appreciate all the responses i got on here. didnt expect to get that much help and now i feel like an asshole for not being able to work with other people. eric is actually focusing on us a little more now and is working on our songs as we speak. we actually had to re-do a lot of one of our songs so that kind of sucked. its just that he is cheap and knee deep into getting this shit finished and quite honestly im sick and tired of recording. i just want to fucking play. been almost four months.

ecrypt, we may be thinking of the same person here. there can only be so many eric rapes from around this area (he actually lives in ellenwood though). check out his page and the songs progress so far and let me know what you guys think. its not finished yet. i hope not anyway.

www.myspace.com/erkproductions

"LostGhost(FiguresInTheVoid)"

second from the top.