Until The Light Takes Us (black metal movie) screening in At

open forum for any and all conversations

Moderators: Brian, Metalfreak, MS_39455, AtlantaMetal Staff

utltu

Re: Thanks for the responses, much appreciated

Post by utltu » Thu July 9th, 2009, 7:48 pm

WREKage-Paul wrote:
WREKage-Paul wrote:

Sadly, I probably can't make the showing, since I get off work at 7:30pm. Maybe I can get out a bit early or something....
Let me know Paul, we'll put you on the guest list if you can make it there in time.

For sure!

Audrey
UNTIL THE LIGHT TAKES US
AUG 13 AT PLAZA ATLANTA THEATER 7:30 PM
Tickets: http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/69162

Asrynth

Post by Asrynth » Thu July 9th, 2009, 9:40 pm

OA_Xeper wrote:
Brian wrote:Yeah, but I'm sure that also had to do with those shows being held at Swayze's and the lineups changing all the time.
I'm sure there were some good TV shows on that night, too.

Don't mind me...
Black Metal in Atlanta gets a shitty turnout regardless, the fact that a few of the shows were at swayzes doesnt help the turnout, but its not like the masses would have flocked to the show had it been booked at the Masquerade.

Its unfortunate not only for BM but for any genre of metal in this area, the city of Atlanta just doesnt get the greatest of draws for metal shows, I dont know why, but people only decide to come out for certain shows, its almost arbitrary to be honest. There are shows I see on the calendar where Im almost positive a ton of people are going to come out for, and then nobody shows, and then there are shows in Atlanta where I think nobody is going to come out, and the masses show up in style outside the masquerade. The current status of the scene here in Atlanta is a mystery, outside of the typical big headliners, I dont know how an Agent decides whether or not to book a show in Atlanta or not, its almost hit or miss with every metal show that doesnt include huge headliners or hardcore/metalcore bullshit in the tour package.

Brian
WREKage Staff

Post by Brian » Thu July 9th, 2009, 9:59 pm

Asrynth wrote:
OA_Xeper wrote:
Brian wrote:Yeah, but I'm sure that also had to do with those shows being held at Swayze's and the lineups changing all the time.
I'm sure there were some good TV shows on that night, too.

Don't mind me...
Black Metal in Atlanta gets a shitty turnout regardless, the fact that a few of the shows were at swayzes doesnt help the turnout, but its not like the masses would have flocked to the show had it been booked at the Masquerade.

Its unfortunate not only for BM but for any genre of metal in this area, the city of Atlanta just doesnt get the greatest of draws for metal shows, I dont know why, but people only decide to come out for certain shows, its almost arbitrary to be honest. There are shows I see on the calendar where Im almost positive a ton of people are going to come out for, and then nobody shows, and then there are shows in Atlanta where I think nobody is going to come out, and the masses show up in style outside the masquerade. The current status of the scene here in Atlanta is a mystery, outside of the typical big headliners, I dont know how an Agent decides whether or not to book a show in Atlanta or not, its almost hit or miss with every metal show that doesnt include huge headliners or hardcore/metalcore bullshit in the tour package.
You're going to have less of a turnout for any show at Swayzes because it's 25 minutes away from downtown. This makes it difficult for people (like me) who have limited transportation options.

That particular show, which apparently is a perfectly good measure for the entire Atlanta metal scene, had the exact same lineup with the exception of one band as a show just a month or two before.
http://forum.atlantametal.net/viewtopic.php?t=2919

That's not a bad thing, and it's not the promoter's fault that the bands canceled. Shit happens and you have to deal with it. If I had a car, I would have probably gone since those were all solid bands. But you can't judge the quality of the entire scene based on people not showing up to a show that they saw a month before.

Like I said, I don't know what the average attendance was for those shows. The one I went to had a pretty decent turnout though.

I actually like the fact that shitty metalcore bands get thrown onto good bills though. Those bands sell tickets, which makes promoters more likely to book the tours. So yeah, I might have to sit through a metalcore band to see an awesome death metal band...but at the end of the day, I'm still seeing said death metal band. And that probably wouldn't be possible without the shit.

OA_Xeper

Post by OA_Xeper » Fri July 10th, 2009, 1:36 am

The purpose of this thread was to gauge the interest for a black metal documentary screening in the area.

Take Swayzes / LoA / Friday night's hot television programming out of the picture, then, for argument's sake:

Absu, Masquerade (Atlanta), on a Thursday (far inferior television programming, I assume). 30 people? Maybe....
The purpose of this thread was to gauge the interest for a black metal documentary screening in the area.
Anways, to keep things on track, I will be there...

Brian
WREKage Staff

Post by Brian » Fri July 10th, 2009, 6:42 am

But the Bone Awl show (which I didn't attend, so this is all from what I've heard) had a very very good turnout. I remember that the 1349 show a few years back had a very good turnout, also.

I know of one person who is very involved in the local black metal scene who didn't attend the Absu show because Absu was the only band worth seeing on the bill. I'm sure he's not the only one. That show would have had many more people if Glorior Belli and Averse Sefira stayed on (and I'm still pissed about missing GB dammit!)

Anyway, to keep this topic on track, we should probably take this to PMs if you're interested in discussing more...

Chaos

Post by Chaos » Fri July 10th, 2009, 11:25 am

yah helo yes i probly b ther

we alowd 2 wear corps paint????

Metalfreak

Post by Metalfreak » Fri July 10th, 2009, 11:34 am

Chaos wrote:yah helo yes i probly b ther

we alowd 2 wear corps paint????
I don't see why not! hahaha
They had you do a drug test and the forgot to test for drugs???

necroodin

Post by necroodin » Fri July 10th, 2009, 6:15 pm

the only reason i missed seeing Absu was because i completely zoned out that week and forgot about much to my enragement

TheKshatriya

Post by TheKshatriya » Sat July 18th, 2009, 2:34 am

If it was heavily promoted I think one night showing this wouldnt be a bad idea, but if you dont do it I understand. Ill be there if you do.

VOEGTLIN

Post by VOEGTLIN » Fri July 24th, 2009, 7:35 am

Brian wrote:But the Bone Awl show (which I didn't attend, so this is all from what I've heard) had a very very good turnout.

Weekend! Cross-appeal! Punks! Metalheads! Venue that lets people bring thier own beer in!

Hmm. Maybe that had somethin' to do with it.

Shit, there were maybe 40 people at the last Watain ATL gig. Maybe.
Chaos wrote: hell satan
ScreamBloodyGore wrote:Not many people know this, but other bands play, Manowar kills.

Mike
WREKage Staff

Post by Mike » Mon August 3rd, 2009, 6:04 pm

You know, just because they aren't into the music doesn't mean people wouldn't find the documentary interesting.
I think there's enough people that go to the Plaza for interesting films that will help.
I can alert some of the film nerds I know to help with the turnout.
It's such an interesting subject matter regardless of the music. There would be no documentary without the church burnings and murders, so what does it matter if local Atlanta black metal shows draw people in 2009?
That has nothing to do with being interested in the early 1990's Norwegian Black Metal scene and it's craziness.

mrjumping
AtlantaMetal Staff

Re: Until The Light Takes Us (black metal movie) screening i

Post by mrjumping » Mon August 3rd, 2009, 6:33 pm

utltu wrote:We are scheduled to show the film Until The Light Takes Us (black metal movie with Fenriz, Varg Vikernes, Hellhammer, etc.) at the Plaza Theater in Atlanta on August 13. The thing is, we are starting to wonder if there is a scene in Atlanta, or if anyone would show up. If you haven't heard of the film, there's info and a trailer at myspace.com/blackmetalmovie.

So, what I'm wondering, is if you think there are people here who are interested in this. Bad screenings are very damaging to us and to our ability to release the film on DVD, so we are thinking about whether or not we should go ahead with this.

You guys live there: are we crazy to have a screening in Atlanta?

Also, if there is anyone who is interested and able to help promote, please let us know, if you can flyer around town/at shows, we'd be very happy to put you on the guest list. If you're up for that, please write me at untilfilm@gmail.com.

Thanks, and all thoughts are appreciated.
Audrey
Expect 30-50 people

TheKshatriya

Post by TheKshatriya » Tue August 4th, 2009, 3:14 pm

I just watched the trailer. Im kinda excited to see this now.

MS_39455
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by MS_39455 » Tue August 4th, 2009, 3:19 pm

Here's a flyer if anyone's interested. I've been getting rid of a handfull whenever I go out.

GameFreac

Post by GameFreac » Sun August 9th, 2009, 11:07 pm

I was planning on going but I have to work now. :(