are there any metal christmas songs?

open forum for any and all conversations

Moderators: Brian, Metalfreak, MS_39455, AtlantaMetal Staff

Greg
WREKage Staff

Post by Greg » Mon December 6th, 2004, 10:31 pm

The only ones I can think of is a King Diamond song called "No Presents For Christmas", Dream Theater's "6:00" (which really has nothing to do with christmas, it just says the word christmas a couple of times), and maybe a song here and there from the Trans-Siberian Orchestra.

Does anyone know of any others? Anyone ever heard any songs about reindeer being gutted or a spooky, haunted christmas tree farm or something?

God of Brutality

Post by God of Brutality » Mon December 6th, 2004, 11:20 pm

the always good to laugh at christian metal (double negative) band Deliverance did a cover of Silent Night, its all acoustic for about 30 seconds then goes into a metal version of the song. It sucks in all its glory. They also do a really gay christian version of slayers angel of death. Freaking hilarious. got to love christian metal :ev1l: and type o mentioned christmas in one of there songs.

AmoebicDysentery

Post by AmoebicDysentery » Mon December 6th, 2004, 11:49 pm

I did a pretty KVLT cover of "Jingle Bells" last year

slowfinger

Post by slowfinger » Tue December 7th, 2004, 12:39 am

once upon the cross by deicide ????

WREKage-Paul
WREKage Staff

Post by WREKage-Paul » Tue December 7th, 2004, 4:42 am

hahaha, "Once Upon the Cross"..... Bonus style-points there. :m3t4l:

There are a few metally Xmas covers on the Merry Axemas (guitar) CDs -- quite a variety of guitarists on those, too.

If there is a Christmas WREKage show (I can be there all night, but I don't think anyone else can, except maybe Tim)...... DT's "6:00" would have to be played at the very end of the show. No negotiation. :)

What CD is that King Diamond "No Presents For Christmas" track from? I have an MP3 of it here (only fair quality, though), and I would actually deviate from my "no KD" rule on Christmas to play it. :D

That Type O Song is "Red Water (Christmas Mourning)" -- I think we played it last Christmas. As well as "Christmas Time In Hell" from the South Park CD.

Community host for WREKage
www.wrekage.org
Friday night, midnight 'til we get tired, 91.1 FM

DarkWolfen

Post by DarkWolfen » Tue December 7th, 2004, 5:19 am

Actually you didn't play it, BoB wouldn't play it when I requested it for whatever reason but Dan did as "a slightly forgotten DarkWolfen request" back in the June 11th show. :sm0k3:

[/QUOTE]That Type O Song is "Red Water (Christmas Mourning)" -- I think we played it last Christmas.

Greg
WREKage Staff

Post by Greg » Tue December 7th, 2004, 10:40 am

<!--QuoteBegin-slowfinger+Dec 7 2004, 12:39 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (slowfinger &#064; Dec 7 2004, 12:39 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> once upon the cross by deicide ???? [/quote]
Haha, actually if I couldn't find any others I was just gonna play a bunch of songs that had the word christ in them or referenced christ, including topping it all off with a censored version of Vehemence's "Christ I Fucking Hate You".

Paul, No Presents for Christmas is the name of the KD album as well (it's the blue KD album that has a picture of him about to stick his tongue in a reindeer's ear), we have it on vinyl at the studio. I also have an Exhumed cover of the song to play so we'll be all set as far as that one goes.

E.J. Diarrheaspray

Post by E.J. Diarrheaspray » Tue December 7th, 2004, 11:23 am

That King Diamond cover is hilarious. I can only imagine Matt Harvey's facial expression when he does the falsetto :m1c:

BoB

Post by BoB » Tue December 7th, 2004, 12:04 pm

There's the Fear song 'Fuck Christmas' but it would be difficult to play on the air...

Jane Doe

Post by Jane Doe » Tue December 7th, 2004, 2:18 pm

How about Korn "Jingle Balls", it's a semi-death metal song off of one of their EP's.

ProstheticHead12

Post by ProstheticHead12 » Tue December 7th, 2004, 4:41 pm

I don't know if y'all (wrekage DJs) had heard this but I was told that after 10 pm the profanity rules are relaxed. Sexually explicit stuff is still out but the occasional fuck or shit is cool. I took the opportunity last week to play Carnal Forge's "Headfucker" and I'll be doing more of the same tonight. That being said - the FCC can suck my balls. :f1ng3r:
Fuck it, Dude, let's go bowling.

Greg
WREKage Staff

Post by Greg » Tue December 7th, 2004, 4:57 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-ProstheticHead12+Dec 7 2004, 04:41 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ProstheticHead12 &#064; Dec 7 2004, 04:41 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I don't know if y'all (wrekage DJs) had heard this but I was told that after 10 pm the profanity rules are relaxed.&nbsp; Sexually explicit stuff is still out but the occasional fuck or shit is cool.&nbsp; I took the opportunity last week to play Carnal Forge's "Headfucker" and I'll be doing more of the same tonight.&nbsp; That being said - the FCC can suck my balls.&nbsp; :f1ng3r: [/quote]
Haha, believe me we know all about this and have stepped, stomped, and ran all over the fine line between 10 p.m. and beyond. Safe harbor I believe it's called. It's the same thing that allows South Park and Dave Chapelle to air what they air after 10 p.m. on cable.

I think the reason we don't play stuff with an occasional profanity (at least ones we know about) is our general manager is real anal about stuff like that. I've asked him about it before and he seems to have a zero tolerance policy toward it unless he didn't understand what I was asking, which may have been possible. So seeing as how the future of the show is ultimately in his hands we try to stay on his good side.

Luckily most of the curse words that get aired on the show are unintelligible anyways.

Chris Masochist

Post by Chris Masochist » Tue December 7th, 2004, 5:07 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-ProstheticHead12+Dec 7 2004, 09:41 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ProstheticHead12 @ Dec 7 2004, 09:41 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> That being said - the FCC can suck my balls. :f1ng3r: [/quote]
:b4ldm3t4l:

Yeah, fuck the system.

Fn Dan

Post by Fn Dan » Tue December 7th, 2004, 6:22 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-ProstheticHead12+Dec 7 2004, 05:41 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ProstheticHead12 &#064; Dec 7 2004, 05:41 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I don't know if y'all (wrekage DJs) had heard this but I was told that after 10 pm the profanity rules are relaxed.&nbsp; Sexually explicit stuff is still out but the occasional fuck or shit is cool.&nbsp; I took the opportunity last week to play Carnal Forge's "Headfucker" and I'll be doing more of the same tonight.&nbsp; That being said - the FCC can suck my balls.&nbsp; :f1ng3r: [/quote]
You're playing with fire. If someone complains to the FCC, WUOG will be looking at fines so large that it more than likely will not be able to pay them. Just ask Viacom, who are currently paying the FCC 3.5 million dollars to account for their verious fines. It's not that our General Manager is anal, it's that it's, honestly, really a bad idea. You are right though, 10pm is supposedly the beginning of "Safe Harbor". It's still my understanding though, that if someone complains to the FCC, it doesn't matter when it was (this may not be entirely correct). The common misconception is that the FCC actually "listens" for obscenities. That is not the case at all. The only time the FCC hears about obscenities is when someone calls their hotline (or emails them I'm guessing) and complains. You can play songs with "fuck" in them all you want, and you'll be fine, as long as no one complains. The one time you get unlucky though and someone complains, you're going to seriously wish you reconsidered "Safe Harbor". My feeling and the WREK philosophy is that taking "advantage" of "Safe Harbor" is a rewardless risk. Songs can commonly be edited with a nimble fader finger, or by actually editing the songs in a program such as Cool Edit. Even better yet, find a different song. Very few bands, but there are some, don't have any clean songs. It may not be the exact song you want to be play, but, in my opinion, it's better than taking the risk. Granted, the probability of someone complaining is extremely low. The problem is that the consequences of someone's complaining are extremely high.

DarkWolfen

Post by DarkWolfen » Tue December 7th, 2004, 7:17 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-ProstheticHead12+Dec 7 2004, 04:41 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ProstheticHead12 @ Dec 7 2004, 04:41 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> That being said - the FCC can suck my balls. :f1ng3r: [/quote]
"Present them..." :lol:

NP:Motorhead-March or Die